The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has introduced a new scheme for overseas doctors to acquire training in the UK through sponsorship for limited registration with the UK General Medical Council.
Posts will be in paid positions for two years at the Specialist Registrar grade (higher training), year 1/2 level, with the first six months as an assimilation and probation period. After the first six-month period, continuation on the programme will be subject to satisfactory regular appraisal, as is the case for all trainees. Successful candidates cannot be guaranteed as to the location of their placement, but will be responsible for their own accommodation whether arranged through the employing Trust or not.
• All candidates must meet the following criteria:
• Part 1 MRCOG (or equivalent by recognised exemption);
• IELTS at the approved level (7.0 in all four components) with at least 12 months remaining at the time of application;
• three years of supervised postgraduate practice in obstetrics and gynaecology;
• be currently domiciled in their home country;
• have not been previously registered with the UK General Medical Council.
There is no application fee and candidates will not have to come to the UK for selection.
Application is through open competition, supplying the following:
• completed application form and questionnaire;
• reference from the chair of the RCOG Reference Committee (where one exists);
• 2 recent professional references, including one from the current or most recent employer;
• list of competencies detailing clinical skills obtained;
• photocopy of your valid IELTS certificate.
After the closing date, a Selection Committee will review applications and identify those candidates to be offered places. Confirmation of appointment will be subject to a confirmatory interview on induction.
Places will be limited to ensure that there is always a training programme for successful candidates. There will be no waiting list. Unsuccessful candidates can reapply by requesting fresh application pack.