Subject matter for examination questions is guided by the Objectives for the Qualifying Examination, published by the Medical Council of Canada. The MCC does not require candidates to purchase or use any particular reference. The following textbooks may be used by MCC test committees to validate examination questions.
1. Andreoli, T.E., et al. (eds.), Cecil Essentials of Medicine, 5th ed., W.B. Saunders, 2001.
2. Braunwald, E., et al. (eds.), Harrisons Principles of Internal Medicine, 15th ed., McGraw-Hill, 2001.
3. Canadian Task Force on the Periodic Health Examination, The Canadian Guide to Clinical Preventive Health Care, Health Canada, Ottawa ON, 1994. http://www.ctfphc.org
OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY
1. Cunningham, F.G., et al. (eds.), Williams Obstetrics, 21st ed., McGraw-Hill, 2001.
2. DeCherney, Nathan L., Current Obstetric & Gynecologic Diagnosis & Treatment, a Lange medical book, McGraw-Hill, 2003.
3. Hacker, N.F., Moore, J.G., Essentials of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 3rd ed., W.B. Saunders, 1998.
1. Behrman, R.E., et al. (eds.), Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics,16th ed., Saunders, 2000.
2. Hoekelman, R.A., et al., Primary Pediatric Care, 3rd ed., Mosby, St. Louis, 1997.
3. Rudolph, A.M., et al. (eds.), Rudolph's Pediatrics, 20th ed., Appleton & Lange, 1996.
POPULATION HEALTH AND ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
1. Infectious Diseases:
a) Chin, J., Control of Communicable Diseases Manual, 17th ed., Washington, D.C., The American Public Health Association, 2000.
b) Health Canada, Canadian Immunization Guide, 6th ed., Canadian Medical Association, 2002.
2. Occupational Medicine:
a) LaDou, J. (ed.), Occupational & Environmental Health, 2nd ed., Stanford, CT: Appleton & Lange, 1997.
3. Population Health/Public Health:
a) Health Canada, Toward a Healthy Future, Second Report on the Health of Canadians, 1999. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/phdd/report/toward/eng/report.html
a) Health Canada, What Is the Population Health Approach. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/phdd/approach/index.html
b) Shah, C.P., Public Health and Preventive Medicine in Canada, 4th ed., Les Presses de lUniversitι Laval, 1998.
a) Hιbert, P.C., Doing Right : A Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians, Toronto: Oxford University Press, 1996.
b) Singer, P.A., Bioethics at the Bedside: A Clinician's Guide, Canadian Medical Association, 1999.
a) Fletcher, R.H., Fletcher, S.W., Wagner, E.H., Clinical Epidemiology: The Essentials, 3rd ed., Williams & Wilkins, 1996.
b) Mausner, J.S., Kramer, S., Epidemiology - An Introductory Text, 3rd ed., Saunders, 1998.
1. American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV), 4th ed., text revision, 1994.
2. Kaplan, H.I., Sadock, B.J. (eds.), Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry, 9th ed., Williams & Wilkins, 2003.
3. Stoudemire, A., MD (ed.), Clinical Psychiatry for Medical Students, 3rd ed., Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1998.
1. Salter, R.B., Textbook of the Disorders and Injuries of the Musculoskeletal System, 3rd ed., Williams & Wilkins, 1999.
2. Way, L.W., Current Surgical Diagnosis & Treatment, 11th ed., Appleton & Lange, 1994.