The affected individuals by MANIPAL derecognizing controversy are those who intend to give the USMLE. The issue does not affect any individual who is planning to pursue medical training and practice in India. Articles have already been posted in local newspapers here.
Here are the facts:
1. Manipal institutes were recommended for de recognition by MCI. This was based on the fact that KMC had more than 30% NRI students in its Manipal Campus, while they were allowed to admit not more than 15%. MAHE was aware of the recommendation, and took corrective actions. Legally the Unnikrishnan case, served a shield, legalizing their stand of 30% admission.
2. In fact Ministry of Health supported MAHE, with the Minister Ambumani Ramadoss stating in the Floor of house that MAHE was not de recognized, along with six other medical colleges in MP. Also the ministry of health's website clearly shows that MAHE institutes are recognized. Minster said that MCI was a corrupt and its powers would be curbed by way of a new law!
3. Basic problem, MCI is not updating its website. In 2004, (like every year) MCI sent a list of recognized medical colleges of India to ECFMG. 2004s list (sent in December 2004) did not include KMCs. ECFMG unlisted KMC for the year 2004!!
4. We tried to convince ECFMG/FAIMER of IMED that MCI is not the authority to de recognized medical colleges, convinced them with facts (and plead). One thing let to the other, and ECFMG agreed to accept the communications from Ministry of health in lieu to MCI. Also, they agreed to change the status of KMCs recognition on IMED from 2003 to current. Please look at the screen shots at our website.
5. But, ECFMG did not agree to process our applications. They said that all said and done, a responsible body called MCI did recommend KMC to be de recognized. We want a clear cut answer (both the sides of the coin), and wont process your applications till we get it. ECFMG sent Fax and FedExed letters to Ministry. Till date ECFMG has sent two FedExs to Ministry of Health. The letter have been acknowledged by Ministry.
6. Meanwhile a few newspapers were ready to publish the issue so as build an awareness campaign, giving more significance, adding more pressure on the management. More students started asking questions. The Newspapers were kind enough to provide the facts, not steering into a propaganda, and also identifying the real culprits the MCI (not the KMC management).
7. MAHE management has been working on it, with its officials, registrar of the university, President Ramdas Pai visiting officials at Health Ministry to speed up the process. They are receiving hundreds of phone calls everyday from worried students and parents, answering them patiently has been a full time job for most in MAHE. All the staff and faculty are worried because their very jobs are at stake:
All our efforts, the efforts of MAHE are being directed to pull the letter from the Ministry, which in principle has agreed. We students are in touch with the ministry via our family and friends and are now aware that the matter will be resolved soon. We hope that the issue would be sorted out in less than a month (15 days :) )