JAWAHARLAL INSTITUTE OF POSTGRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION AND RESEARCH (JIPMER)PONDICHERRY - 605006
(Directorate General of Health Services)
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
POSTGRADUATE DEGREE/DIPLOMA COURSES 1994-95
Telegram : "JIPMER" TEL : 36380-36389
Fax : (0413) - 38067 37381-37384
Prospectus for Admission
Postgraduate Degree/Diploma Courses)
This Institute is ffiliated to the Pondicherry University and recognised for the following post-graduate Degree/Diploma courses for the present. Duration of Degree Course in 3 years and Diploma Course in 2 years.
1. Degrees awarded
Degree of Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)
Branch I General Medicine
Branch II Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Branch III Pathology
Branch IV Microbiology
Branch V PhysiologyW
Branch VI Pharmacology
Branch VII Paediatric Medicine
Branch VIII Radio-Diagnosis
Branch X Anaesthesiology
Branch XII Dermatology
Branch XIII Biochemistry
Branch XV Community Medicine
Branch XVII Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases
Branch XVIII Psychiatry
Degree of Master of Surgery (M.S.)
Branch I General Surgery
Branch II Orthopaedic Surgery
Branch III Ophthalmology
Branch IV Oto-Rhino-Laryngology
Branch V Anatomy
1. (a) DIPLOMAS AWARDED
Diploma in Child Health (D.C.H.)
Diploma in Orthopaedics (D.Ortho.)
Diploma in Ophthalmology (D.O.)
Diploma in Medical Radio-Diagnosis (D.M.R.D.)
Diploma in Leprosy (D.Lep.)
Distribution of Postraduate Seats for Various oSpecialities for 1994-95 Session
Sl. Name of the course Open Institue Scheduled Scheduled
No. General Caste Tribe Total
1. M.D. General Medicine 2 3 1 - 6
2. M.D. Obstetries & Gynaecology 2 3 1 - 6
3. M.D. Pathology - 1 1 - 2
4. M.D. Microbiology - 1 - 1 1
5. M.D. Physiology 1 - - 1 2
6. M.D. Pharmacology 1 - 1 - 2
7. M.D. Paediatrics 1 3 - - 4
8. M.D. radiodiagnosis - - 1 - 1
9. M.D. Anaesthesiology 1 3 - 1 2
10. M.D. Dermatology - 1 - 1 2
11. M.D. Biochemistry - 1 - - 1
12. M.D. Community Medicine - - 1 - 1
14. M.D. Tubeculosis & RespiratoryDiseases- 1 - - 1
15. M.S. General Surgery 2 3 1 - 6
16. M.S. Orthopaedic Surgery * - 2 - - 2
17. M.S. Ophthalmology - 1 1 1 3
18. M.S. Oto-Rhino-Laryngology* - 1 - 1 2
19. M.S. Anatomy - 1 1 - 2
20. D.C.H. - - - - -
21. D.Ortho - - - - -
22. D.O. - - 1 - 1
23. D.M.R.D. - 1 - - 1
24. D.Lep - - 1 - 1
Total 10 27 11 5 53
* Admission to courses in these discipline is subject to the fulfilment of norms of requirements laid down by the Medical Council of India.
1. This Institute admits in the presenpt examination 53 candidates in various specilities as notified above and in addition 18 sets are set apart for fillig by DGHS by conducting a separate all Indian Entrance Examination as per Supreme Court direction.
2. Reservation/Open Quota in a particular subject is done according to rotation roster maintained for the purpose.
3. Institute Candidates will mean those who have obtained the MBBS degree of the Pondichery University/University of Madras as a student of JIPMER.
4. All the candidates will be considered fot eh Open General Category seats.
II. Admission requirement for Post-graduate Degree/Diploma Courses An applicant for admission for admission to Post-Graduate Degree/Diploma Courses should be an Indian National.
Candidates for admission to Post-Graduate Degree/Diploma Course should have passed M.B.B.S., Degree of any University recognised by the Pondicherry University and the Medical Council of India and should have obtained full registration. Those who have completed/will be completing the internship on or before 31st March only can apply.
III. Application for Admission :
The last date and time for receipt of duly filled in applications in t enclosed prescribed form is 15th February by4-30 p.m. (Tuesday).
The Service candidates must submit their applications in the prescribed form issued by this office, through their present employer, duly signed in the 'Forwarding Note' as in the application form within the last date. In case delay is anticipated, they should submit an Advance Copy which should also be in the prescribed form supplied with prospectus along with copies of all documents. If selected for the course, he/she will be permitted to join the course only on production of relieving orders from the present employer.
Each candidate shall be allowed to have only three choices (subjects) of course.The degree and diploma courses in the same subject will be reckned as one choice for the purpose. For such subjects where both the Degree and Diploma courses are available, candidates should mention clearly in the application form whether he/she is to be considered for Degree only or Diploma only or for both Degree and Diploma.
the candidate should submit only one application form indicating his/her choices.
All the particulars in the application form should be furnished carefully and legibly. The quota under which the application is submitted for consideration should be distinctly written in the box provided at the top of the application. Applications which are incomplete in required particulars or enclosures, will not take any responsibility of delay in the receipts or loss of application in-postal transit except in the case of natural calamity and civic strife. The discretion for accepting such late application will rest with the Dean of the Institute.
The following documents should be attached to the application :
1. A Self-addressed Post-Card stamped to the Value of 60 paise so as to serve as acknoledgement for the receipt of application.
2. A self addressed envelope of the size of 22 cms x 10 cms stamped to the value of Rs. 7/- for sending Admit Card to appear for entrance examination.
3. Two copies of same passport size Photograph (recently taken) duly attested by a Gazetted Office, one pasted in the Application Form and another pasted in the Admit Card.
The following original certificates should be submitted at the time of joining.
1. MBBS Degree or Provisional Pass Certificate.
2. Medical Registration Certificate.
3. Internship Completion Certificate.
4. Conduct Certificate obtained from the Institute last studied.
5. Certificate of Natinality issued by Revenue Authority not lower in rank than a Tahsildar.
6. Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe Certificate (in respect of SC/ST candidates only) obtained from the compentent authrity - a Revenue Officer, not below the rank of Tahsildar.
The application (with all the enclosures securely fastened to it) should be sent by Registered Post, superscribed and addressed as follows :
Application for Admission to Postgraduate Course (April 1994 Session)
PONDICHERRY - 605 006.
The application in all cases should be in the prescribed forms issued by the Institute for this Session. Typed copy/Photostat copy of applications will be summarily rejected.
Candidates are advised to satisfy themselves before aplying for admission that they fulfil the conditions for admission prescribed by the Pondicherry University and seat is available for the speciality under the quota for which the candidate is eligible. In case the registration of any candidate is rejected by the Pondicherry University, this Institute will not bear any responsibility for the same.
IV. Procedure for selection
1. All the candidates who have passed MBBS Degree in any University recognised by the Pondicherry University and Medical Council of India and obtained full registration are required to appear for an entrance examination at their own cost to be conducted by the Institute on last Sunday of March
2. There shall be two papers of two hours duration each containing 150 Multiple Choice Questions. Paper-I will consist of pre-clinical and para clinical subjects and Paper-II will consist of clinical subjects.
Note : The examination shall be conducted in ENGLISH medium only.
3. Paper-I will be from 8.30 A.M. to 10.30 A.M. while paper-II will be from 11.30 A.M. to 1.30 P.M.
4. All questions will be of objective type consisting of Multiple Choice Questions. Each anwer with correct response shall be awarded FOUR marks. Negative marking will be adopted for incorrect responses. ONE mark will be deducted for each negative response. Zero mark will be given for the question not answerred. More than one answer indicated against a question will be deemed as incorrect response and will be negatively marked.
5. The competitie entrance examination shall be of the standard of MBBS examination and shall cover all the subjects of the MBBS course.
6. the number of questions of each subject are as shown below in the two papers.
Anatomy - 15
Physiology - 15
Biochemistry - 15
Pharmacology - 20
Pathology - 25
Microbiology - 20
Forensic Medicine - 10
Social & Preventive Medicine - 30
Total - 150
Medicine - 30
Surgery - 25
Obstetrics & Gynaecology - 20
Paediatrics - 15
Ophthalmology - 10
Orthopaedics - 7
ENT - 7
Anaesthesia - 7
Dermatology & Venereology - 7
Psychiatry - 10
Radiodiagnosis - 7
Radiotherapy - 5
6. (a) A list of all candidates shall be prepared by the Institute in order of merit subjectwise on the basis of total marks obtained in both the papers.
(b) Determination of inter-se-merit of candidates obtaining equal marks :- In case of two or more candidates obtaining equal marks in the competitive entrance examination, the inter-se merit of candidates shall be determined in the order of preference as under :-
i) Candidates obtaining higher marks in Paper-II
ii) According to age — order getting precedence over younger.
(c) All the candidates will be considered for selection against open General Category seats. Once the Open General Category seats have been filled according to merit on the basis of performance in the Entrance Examination, the remaining seats undr the reserved categories, viz. Open Scheduled Caste, Open Scheduled Tribe and Institute will be filled up by the candidates as per their eligibility according to the merit on the basis of their performance in the Entrance Examination.
(d) Candidats selected for their first choice will not be considered for their second and third choices. Those who are selected for their second choices will be considered for change to their first choices alone and not for their third choices; and those selected for third choices will be considered for change to both first and second choices.
(e) After notifying the provisional selection list in the above said manner, if any of the selected candidate does not join the particular speciality, his/her name will be excluded from the merit list of the concerned speciality and the resultant vacancy shall be filled up by adopting the same procedure as laid down in Para 6(c) above.
7. The names of the selected candidates will be displayed on the Notice Board and they will be intimated by post separately. No intimation about non-selection or marks obtained in th eentrance examination will be sent to candidates.
8. No T.A/D.A. will be paid for candidates appearing for written examination.
9. in all matters relating to selection for admission to postgraduate Course, the decision of the Director shall be final.
All Post-Graduate Degree and Diploma students iwll be covered under the Residency Scheme on contract service and they will be required to enter into separate contract for the first year, second year and third year of the course as the case may be. If any candidate discontinues the course at any time he/ she will have to abide by all the terms and conditions as per the contract executed by him/her.
VI. Duration of Course
The candidates are admitted only for 3 years degree course and 2 years diploma course.
VII. Emoluments (liable to change)
All the candidates admitted to various courses will be taken as "Junior Resident"During the period of the course. The total duration of the salary period for Junior Residents will be only 3 years.
The candidates admitted to Degree/Diploma Course will be paid as follows as the case may be.
First Year Junior Resident : Rs. 2630/- + D.A. as admissible under rules.
Second Year Junior Resident : Rs. 2705/- + D.A. as admissible under rules
Third year Junior Resident : Rs. 2780/- + D.A. as admissible under rules.
First year Junior Resident : Rs. 2630/- + D.A. as admissible under rules.
Second Year Junior Resident : Rs. 2705/- + D.A. as admissible under rules
During the period of the Junior Residency, the candidates should not be in receipt of scholoarship/financial assistance/salary, etc. from any other source.
Junior Residents will be provided with free furnished single accommodation and other facilities as and when provided by the Government as per rules. They will have to abide by rules and regulations governing hostels.
IX. Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities of the Postgraduate students will be as fixed by Government from time to time. They will be required to perform such work as may be needed in the legitimate interest of patient care in the Hospital.
X. Hours of work
Continuous active duty for Resident Doctors (All Postgraduate Students) will not normally exceed 12 hours at a time subject to exigencies of work.the resident doctors will also be required to be on call duty not exceeding 12 hours at atime.
The Postgraduate students are eligible for leave as follows :
First Year Junior Resident : 30 day in a completed academic year
Second Year Junior Resident : 36 day in a completed academic year
Third Year Junior Resident : 36 day in a completed academic year
Note : The leave that is not availed during a year cannot be carried over to the subsequent year or encashed.
XII. Date of Joining.
Selected candidates must join the course on 1st April 1994 or on or before the stipulated date in the letter of selection. The selected candidates should pay the requisite Registration and Tuition fees as stipulated in the selection order. The admission of candidates who fail to pay the Registration/Tution fees by the date stipulated in the letter of selection or fail to join the course on the date stipulated, will be treated as cancelled and such seats shall they be offered to the candidate in the waiting list in the order of merit. Normally extension of joining time will not be allowed.
No interchange of course will be permitted once he/she is admitted for particular course except he/she is also in the waiting list in the other subjects.
Admission to the course will be provisional, subject to the recognition of the qualifyng examination fo individual candidates by the Pondicherry University.
XIII. Registration with the Pondicherry University
Candidates who have been provisionally admitted to the various courses in this Institute, should register themselves with the Pondicherry University in the prescribed form along with M.B.B.S. degree in original or provisional M.B.B.S. Pass Certificate etc., and the Registration Fee as required by the Pondicherry University.
Candidates who have been provisionally admitted and who qualified for the M.B.B.S. Degree from University other than the Pondicherry University should apply fore recognition of qualifying examination in the prescribed form together with a course certificate in original from the Principal of the college where he/she studied for the M.B.B.S. showing the duration of the course and with a fee of Rs. 110/- (Matriculation fee Rs. 10/- plus Recognition Fee Rs. 100/-).
XIV. Warning :
In case any candidates is found to have supplied false information or certificates etc., or is found to have withheld or concealed information in his/her application form, he/his application form, he/she shall be debarred from admission oand if already admitted, the admission will be cancelled without prejudice to other diciplinary action.
The following fees (provisional, subject to alteration) will be payable by each candidate at the time of admission.
Tution Fee — Rs. 200/- P.A.
Amenity Fee — Rs. 30/- P.A.
If any candidate fails to join the course or discontinues the course at any time, the tuition fees once paid will not be refunded in any case. Those who discontinue the course, have to pay a penalty of Rs. 5000/- to this Institute as per the undertaking and the emoluments for the months in which he/she discontiunes the course shall be forfieted. And also they should give one month's notice and in the event of failure to give one month's notice, one month's emoluments in lieu thereof.
XVI. Study of French
The Institute conducts Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma Courses in French, recognised by Pondicherry University. The Postgrtaduate students are advised to avail of this facility to attain proficiency in French which as an International Language is widely acknowledged.
XVII. General Conditions
1. Application along with enclosures should reach this office before the stipulated last date and time.
2. All particulars in the application form must be written carefully and legibly.
3. Any attmept on the part of the candidate to influence directly or indirectly the decision of the institute, will be treated as disqualification.
4. No individual intimation will be sent to unselected candidatees and no correspondence on this subject will be entertained.
5. All students admitted in the Institute shall maintain good conduct, pay the requisite tution fees and other charges by due date, attend their courses regularly and abide by the regulations of the Institute, failing which they will not be permitted to continue to course.
6. Private practice in any form during the pendency of the course is prohibited. The period of training is strictly full time and continuous.
7. The residents are expected to stay in the Hostels in the campus of the Institute. The HOtesl is rent free for all those who receiv eemoluments from this Institution. Those who are paid employees of other Government or Organisation receiving their salaries, and/not in receipt of Institute emoluments shall pay the Hstel rent as per pfules. There are separate Hostels for ladies and gents.
8. The Rules are subject to change in accordance with the decision of the Institute taken from time to time.
9. The selected candidates will have to undergo medical examination and the admission will be subject to medical fitness.
Pondicherry - 605 006.