RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

Different Types of Visa Issued for Medical Training in UK

Author: COPMeD, Posted on Wednesday, August 10 @ 13:52:11 IST by RxPG  

 FRIEND Add to My Pages   PRINTER Printer Friendly   FRIEND Email Story  FRIEND Download Story  UK Visa alerts 

UK Visa

There are specific rules governing postgraduate medical training in the National Health Service (NHS). Individuals without indefinite rights of residence in Britain would, for most professions, require a work permit. However medical and dental trainees (doctors employed in a postgraduate approved training post) are admitted under arrangements known as 'permit-free', which means no work permit is required. Your exact immigration status will be determined by the reason you are seeking to enter Britain.

Visitors' Visa

Visitors’ visas are normally issued to overseas doctors who wish to

* seek employment in a training post,
* attend an interview,
* take an examination such as PLAB or a Royal College examination, or
* take a clinical attachment.

A visitors’ visa is normally issued for a maximum of six months and there may be restrictions on your ability to take any form of employment - paid or unpaid. You should seek advice from the Immigration Authorities at an early stage to find out what would be required of you.

Work Permit

If you are coming to Britain to take a non-training position, you will require a work permit. Application is made direct to the Home Office and proof of employment from the hospital or other person wishing to employ you will be required. LAS posts (Locum appointed for Service) are made by Trusts, they do not have postgraduate approval and therefore require a work permit.

Permit-free Training Visa

Permit free visas are normally issued to overseas doctors who

* have been appointed to a training post and are either seeking to enter the UK, or
* who wish to remain in the UK to take up a training post

A training post is one which must have Royal College educational approval and Postgraduate Dean’s approval. The amount of time you may be admitted to the UK to train in medicine is directly linked to the type of training you are following. Training falls into four basic types.

Amount of time allowed on Permit Free Training Visa
Undergraduate: Takes place in university medical schools. It is a 5 – 6 year programme leading to Bachelor of Medicine or Bachelor of Surgery. Admission is through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Services for the UK (UCAS). Undergraduates study on a Student Visa.

Pre-registration - House Officer (PRHO): Maximum of 12 months

Vocational Training Scheme (VTS) General Practice: Unspecified - posts, including placements in a general practice must be part of a recognised rotation.

Basic Training – Senior House Officer (SHO): Maximum of 4 years – granted in periods of 6 months – 3 years

Higher specialist training – Specialist Registrar (VSpR/FTTA/LAT): Unspecified - dependent on the length of training programme

Reference: Eastern Deanery Overseas Doctors Induction

4 (Excellent) 3(Good) 2(Good) 1(Bad)   

Recommended Books for UK Visa
• Books to read for UK Visa by RxPG

Related UK Visa articles
• How To Apply for an Extension of Permit Free Training in UK
• Different Types of Visa Issued for Medical Training in UK
• Work Permits, The Home Office, UK and Overseas Doctors
• List of things to be taken for UK Visa
• Scholarships managed by the British Council
• New UK scholarship for PG studies
• Migrating to UK? Check the rules
• Coming to UK : Preparation to Fly
• In the Airport: Steps to follow
• Highly Skilled Migrant Programme - Introduction
• Experiences with getting VISA from India
• What are the common mistakes our doctors make for UK Visa
• VISA Facts

Related UK Visa Discussions

Other articles by COPMeD
• How To Apply for an Extension of Permit Free Training in UK
• Different Types of Visa Issued for Medical Training in UK
• Useful First Contact Points for Clinical Attachments

 UK Visa FAQ
  Browse all FAQs

Write an Article on UK Visa
You can share your exam experiences, preparation strategies, books you have read or just any information about UK Visa on RxPG website and we will publish it under your name.

Article Rating
Average Score: 3.66
Votes: 6

Most Read Article
Experiences with getting VISA from India

Related Links
· UK Visa Forum


· UK Visa section
· Articles by COPMeD
· Add to my pages
· Printer friendly version
· PDF version
· Email article
· Feedback on this article
· Medical tutorials
· Related forum posts
· Related articles
· Related downloads
· Submit article
· UK Visa alerts
· UK Visa books
· UK Visa past papers

Most read story about UK Visa:
Experiences with getting VISA from India

Server Status: 325 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 0.051 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook