The Area of Need program is a short-term strategy to assist in provision of clinical services while efforts continue to recruit permanent medical staff. The Department implements strategies for longer-term solutions to medical workforce shortages through:
* Implementation of a NSW Health Workforce Action Plan
* Advocacy for increased undergraduate and postgraduate university placements
* Establishment of medical specialist training networks
* Conduct of programs for General Practitioners to up skill in clinical shortage areas
* Establishment of Area Health Service Directors of Workforce to provide a stronger local focus on improving recruitment and retention
This site provides information to employers on how to establish Area of Need positions and to overseas-trained doctors on how to apply for these positions. It also provides an updated listing of Area of Need vacancies in NSW.
Principles of the Area of Need Program
The Area of Need Program program involves a number of stakeholders that play a particular and defined role at various stages of the Program. The NSW Department of Health, in consultation with members of the Area of Need Advisory Committee, has developed a set of principles to underpin and guide policy development and practice of the Area of Need program.
This is the hyperlink to the latest area of need list. Check this one out and give my your views.