I've been surfing the forum for months. Never got really involved, yet knew who was more active and helpful and who wasn't! So I just thought I'd finally get down to sharing my experience at the PLAB OSCE . My exam was on the 22nd of april. I had taken courses studied for the exam as much as I cud have.
1. Venepunture(drawing blood)- I was really nervous as this was my 1st station, my hands were shaking. I did everything but made a blunder. The sharps bin and the yellow bag were kept really close together and by mistake I threw the sharps in the yellow bag but I reacted quick too, 'coz I did it by accident really and told the examiner the same so she asked me to pick it up and throw it in the s.bin. Anyway though not a blunder as my friend insisted, it was a mistake nonetheless so I had sleepless nights over it........I got a B.
2. Drug abuse history taking and advise on risks involved- Ok now this was odd. I asked the guy everything, he had already had HIV testing and hep B testing knew most of the risks involved so I thought what am I doing here. Anyway I still kept rambling on and told him as much as I cud and told him we'll be here to help him blah blah blah.... I wasn't worried about this station....I got a D.
3. Coma pt. assess GCS and do necessary neuro exam( secondary survey performed )- I did the GCS, did neuro....almost completed the examination when the bell rang....left...got a C
4. child with fractured femur and splenic injury...councel mother....said everything mother seemed convinced, had a nice chat with the examiner, felt good....got a C
5. telephone conversation...pt. with intestinal obstruction- this went fine but I felt like the examiner isn't convinced so I felt unhappy afterwards...got a B
6. Suturing- now this one was another one of those sleepless nights one. I made 2 sutures. The only weird thing that happened was I had a bloody rude examiner. They didn't provide an artery forcep and so thinking that its a trick thing and I shud ask 'cuz they'll probably mark me for not noticing and stuff I said ' I wud need an artey forcep to tie the knot and ...'
he just said in such a rude way ' do with what u have ' I just felt like I was going to burst into tears. I got a D....don't understand why?
7. dosage calculation.....ok I was nervous already about this one 'cuz though I had practised a zillion number of times, i still remained confused and hoped that they wud keep the rate of infusion 1ml/hr 'cuz I had programmed myself to answer it with the same rate. But with my luck it wasn't......wrong answer....and as they say the steps don't matter if u get the wrong dosage its an E.....so E it was.
8. CPR....adult...did it really well no problems really....got a C...don't understand yet again.
9. wrist injury...scaphoid FRACTURE ...examine and discuss...this went ok though orthopaedics isn't my fav. subject...got a C
10. testicular lump....councel....went ok....got a B
11. child with foreign body ingestion...councel mother- another odd one. she'd taken the child to A and E and they had discharged him, she was still worried. I asked her if the child was active, is he blue, coughing, how may hours since, what did she suspect....all the genral stuff. And all info was basically negative as in the child was active, hours had elapsed, not blue....so I told her its nothing to worry about and that its probably in the gut and as they suspected its a coin may come out thru his back passage whilst passing stool. The examiner kept on intervening and saying what if its just above the diaphragm, I said to him we'll re-image to check since the child is symptomless and seems that its not in the bronchial tree and if its suspected in the upper GI we can do an endoscopy and remove it.....don't think i deserved it but I got a D
12. Diabetic pt examine the legs. THis went ok according to me....got to the findings as well...the pt. had loss of vibration sense. Wasn't able to complete, left feeling that went ok.....got a D.
13. forgot what it was......will let u know when I remember.
14. councel a pregnant woman about pain relief in labour. Now to be frank this was a new station to me, I thought oh God this can't be happeneing when I went in. I just went on and on blabbing whatver I cud remember and didn't know how I did......got an A
This was my last station. There were 2 rest stations. After the exam I didn't know how to asess it, how it went'n'all and after I got the result I was blank really 'cuz the ones I was really worried about I did ok or passed in and the ones I thought I did alright, I flunked in. So I guess, I'm back to square one. I still can't assess it.
I've been reading posts from different ppl. Ziad has been one of them as he's quite active and helpful on the forum. I read his experience with the exam and can absolutely relate to what he's saying. Anyway now I'm registered to re-take in October. Right now I'm trying to get an attachment and take MRCP part 1 in september. I know I might be pushing it but I feel right about it and when u feel right about something u shud just go ahead and do it! Besides nothing to lose now!
Please feel free to comment on where you think I might have gone wrong.Wud be helpful......besk of luck to all.....
Note: originally posted at http://www.rxpgonline.com/postt18987.html