NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF MENTAL HEALTH AND
NEURO-SCIENCES, BANGLORE, INDIA
(Post Gradute Course)
1. National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Bangalore - 560 029 post-graduate courses have been added in the disciplines of Psychiatric Social Work. Neurology, Neurosurgery. Neurophysiology and Biophysics. Diploma courses in Psychiatric Nursing and in neurological and neurosurgical Nursing have also been introduced in teh Institute. On the recommendations of the Health Survey and Development Committee under the Chairmanship of Sir Joseph Bhore, during the year 1946, the Government of India recognised the necessity to initiate and develop educational facilities of excellence for the training of personnel in all important branches of mental health. To attain this objective, the Government of India sanctioned establishment of the All India Institute of Mental Health in April 1954 in close collaboration with the State Government Mental Hospital which was already having a tradition of participating in the under-graduate medical education. The Institute was affiliated to the Mysore University and started with two post-graduate diploma courses, one in Psychiatry and the other in Medical Psychology, from January 1955. In course of time, other post-graduate courses were added in the disciplines of Psychiatric Social Work. Neurology, Neurosurgery. Neurophysiology and Biophysics. Diploma courses in Psychiatric Nursing and in neurological and neurosurgical Nursing have also been introduced in the Institute. After the establishment of the Bangalore University, the affilation of the Institute has been transferred to the Bangalore University. A separate Faculty of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences has been created by the Bangalore Univeristy under which the degree and diploma courss of the Institute are regulated.
During the year 1967, the Governing Body of the Institute desired that there should be a single administrative authority for the management of the All India Institute of Mental Health and the State Government Mental Hospital for ensuring an integrated functioning required for achieving the objectives of the Institute. In pursuance of this, the Institute and the Hospital were amalgamated with teffect from December 27, 1974 forming the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS) under the orders of the President of India. The Institute is officially treated as one of the National Institutes of the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, NIMHANS has been registered under the Karnataka Socieites Registration Act and is provided grants by the Central and State Governments. The Broad objectives of NIMHANS are :
1. To promote the growth and development of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences;
2. To develop the Institute into an advanced service, postgraduate training and resarch centre;
3. To enquire into the molecular, neuro-physiological, psychological, sociological and transcendental aspects of the bran-mind behaviour axis and to evolve suitable techniques for applicatin in day-to-day problems.
4. To provide and assist in providing services of research evaluation, training consultation and guidance related to mental health activities comprising biological, psychological, sociological and clinical aspects;
5. To conduct experimentrs and develop patterns of teaching in under graduate and post-graduate education in all branches of mental health by opening training centres and instituting innovating schemes also;
6. To attain self-sufficiency in post-graduate and post-graduate teaching, prescribe courses and curricula in all branches of mental health and neuro sciencs;
7. To provide for under-graduate and post-graduate teaching, prescribe courses and curricula in all branches all of mental health and neuro sciencs;
8. To develop community mental health centres and programmes of service, demonstration, training and research in both urban and rural areas;
9. To undertake and provide for the publication of journals, research papers, leaflets and text books and to augment and maintain library information service in the furtherance of the object of the society;
10. To collect, organise, disseminate and publish knowledge about menal health and neuro sciences;
11. To educate public in mental health and neuro sciences;
12. To inviete representatives of Governmentrs, Universities, other organisations of India and foreign countries and outstanding scientists to participate in the programmes of the institution; and
13. To co-operate with international and national agencies engaged in mental health and neuro sciences research and training and arrange for inter change of personnel, material and data.
The main endeavour of the Institute is the development of multidisciplinary approach in its educational and training programmes and in evolving the promotive, preventive and curative aspects of mental health and neuro sciences. The founders of the Institute had the foresight and the broad vision to bring together and nurture heritages of health science under one institution. The Institute has been developing patteerns of post-graduate medical education in all branches of mental health and neurosciences to demonstrate and high standard of medical health and neurosciences to demonstrate a high standard of medical enducation in these branches in the country. The Institute has been following modern trends and using advanced facilities for treating all types of mental illness and neurosurgical and neurogolical problems. After the formation of NIMHANS, the research laboratories in the disciplines of basic neurosciences have also been strengthened. The Institutes library subscribes to a large number of international journals published in almost all areas of neurosciences and mental health.
A. The Institute offers post-graduate courses in the following subjects under the Faculty of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences of the Bangalore University;
1. Psychiatry (DPM & MD) 5. Neurophysiology
(M.Phil By course & Ph.D by research)
2. Neurology (DM) 6. Psychiatric Social Work (M.Phil)
3. Neurosurgery (M.Ch) 7. Diophysics (M.Phil)
4. Clinical Psychology 8. Psychiatric Nursing (M.Sc)
(M.Phil & Ph.D by course)
B. Ph.D. Programmes by research in various bubject of Mental Health and Neuro sciences.
C. The Institute offers the undermentioned Post Certificate courses:
1. Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing; and
2. Diploma in Neurogical and Neurosurgical Nursing
Commencement of the Programme
The academic year is from 1st September to 31st August.
Application for Admission
1. Applications for admission to the courses are required to be submitted in the prescribed forms. Requrests for application forms should be made to be Director accompanied by (a) A self-addresed stamped enveloppe of 18 cms x 25 cms with postal stamps of Rs. 5.80 affixed thereon for each course alongwith a crossed IPO of Rs. 100/- drawn in favour of Director, NIMHANS. (b) Separate application forms should be filled for each course (c) Applications must be completed in all respects.
2. Before applying for any course, candidates should go through the admissin notice published in the leading newspapers by the Institute and submit their applications in accordance with the instructions contained therein. The candidates are required to go through the general instructions given in the prospectus and the instructions printed on the application form.
3. Candidates who have appeared for the qualifying examinations and whose results are not yet declared are also entitled to apply. However such candidates will be eligible to appear for the final interview only if they can produce the proof of their having passed the examination in writing issued by the University as on the date of interview. In respect of medical graduates. Internship pand Medical Council Registration should have been completed as on the date of interview.
Admission requirements and duration of the courses
1. M.D. in Psychological Medicine
No. of seats - Eight
Duration - Three years
Two Years (for candidates with DPM)
2. Diploma in Psychological Medicine (DPM0
No of seats - Fifteen
Duration - Two years
3. D.M. Degree in Neurology
No. of seats - Four
Duration - Five years
Thre years (for candidates with M.D. Degree)
4. M. Ch degree in Neurosurgery
No. of seats - Four
Duration - Five years
Three years (for candidates with M.S. Degree)
Common Qualifications for all Medical Courses
a. M.B.B.S. degree of the Bangalore University or any other qualification recognised as equivalent by the Bangalore University and recognised by the Indian Medical Council.
b. Compulsory rotating internship of one year after M.B.B.S. or its equivalent as recognised by the Indian Medical Council.
c. Registration with the State Medical Council.
Exexption in the duration of the courses
a. M.D. : Candidates possessing Post-graduate Medical Degree or Diploma in Psychological Medicine of the Bangalore University or a qualification recognised as equivalent by the Bangalore University may be given examption of one year at the discretion of the Selection Committee.
b. D.M. i) Candidates who possess M.D. degree in General Medicine or Paediatrics of the Bangalore University or a qualification recognised as equivalent by the Bangalore Univer and by the Indian Medical Council, may be given two years exemption at the discretion of the Selection Committee.
ii) Candidates who possess (a) M.D. degree in Psychological Medicine or (b) M.Ch. degree in Neurosurgery of the Bangalore University or a qualification recognised as equivalent by the Bangalore University and by the Indian Medical Council or (c) Candidates who have worked as a graded specialist in Neurology in a recognised Neurological Centre of the Armed Forces Mdeical Services or worked full time in Neurology in a Centre where training is given in postgraduate degree in Neurology and recognised by the Indian Medical Council, these being at least fo r2 years after obtaining M.D. General Medicine or an equivalent qualification, may be given exemption upto 3 years at the discretion of the Selection committee.
C. M.Ch : I) Candidates who possess M.S. degree in General Surgery or Orthopaedics of the Bangalore University or a qualification recognised as equivalent by the Bangalore university and by the Indian Medical Council or (b) worked as a graded specialist for 2 years in (c) an equivalent qualification in a recognised Neurosurgical centre of the Armed Forces Medical Services or (d) Worked full time as Neuro Surgeon in a centre where training is given in postgraduate degree in Neurosurgery and recognised by the Indian Medical Council may be given exemption upto 3 years at the discretion of the Selection committee.
5. M.Phil degree in Medical and Social Psychology
No. of seats - Twelve
Duration - Two years
The course is open to those who have passed M.A. degree examination in Psychology of the Bangalore University securing not less than 55% marks in the aggregate of the masters Degree course as a whole.
6. M.Phil degree in Psychiatric Social Work
No. Of seats - Twelve
Duration - Two years
The course is open to those who have obtained a masters Degree in Social Work, preference being given to those who have specialised in Medical and Psychiatric Social Work of the Bangalore University or any other University recognised by the Bangalore University or any other Univesity recognised by the Bangalore University as equivalent, Securing not less than 55% marks in the aggregate of the Masters Degree course as a whole.
7. M.Phil degree in Neurophysiology
No. Of seats - Two
Duration - Two years
MBBS degree or M.A./M.Sc. in Life Sciences of the Bangalore University or any other University recognised as equivalent by the Bangalore University.
8. M.Phil degree in Biophysics
No. Of seats - Two
Duration - Two years
A candidate who has obtained not less than 55% marks in the Master degree in Physical/Life Sciences or M.B.B.S. from Bangalore University or equivalent degree from any other University will be eligible for admission.
9. M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing
No. Of seats - Six
Duration - Two years
(a) The course is open to registered nurses with B.Sc./B.Sc. (Hons) Nursing of any University which is recognised by Bangalore University with not less than 50% aggregate marks; and
(b) Should have Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing or atleast two years working experience in a Psychiatric teaching department.
10. Ph.D. degree in Clinical Psychology
No. Of seats - Four
Duration - Three years
First class M.A. degree in Psychology of Bangalore University or any other University recognised as equivalent by the Bangalore University or DM & SP/M.Phil in Medical and Social Psychology of the Bangalore University or any other University recognised as equivalent by the Bangalore University.
11. Ph. D. Degree in Neurophysiology (by Research)
No. Of seats - Two
Duration - Three years
M.A./M.Sc. /MD/M.Ch./DM of the Bangaklore University or any other University recognised to be equivalent. On grounds of special merit the Ph.D. Registration Committee may also consider for registration, candidates possessing MBBS or a Masters Degree in a subject different from the one in which he/she wishes to pursue the Ph.D.
A candidate who has obtained a degree in a subject different from the one in which he/she wishes to take research for Ph.D. Degree shall be eligible for provisional registration on grounds of special merit the candidate may possess.
12. Diploma Courses in Nursing
(I) Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing :
No. Of seats - Thirty
Duration - Ten months
(ii) Diploma in Neurological and Neurosurgical Nursing
No. Of seats - Six
Duration - Ten months
Qualifications for DPN/DNN courses :
(a) Pass in SSLC or equivalent examination.
(B) Should possess A grade certificate in General Nursing recognised by the Indian Nursing Council.
(C) Registered Nurse in the State Nursing Council.
(D) Two years experience as a trained Nurse.
13. Additional Information
NIMHANS also facility for Ph.D. Degree (by research) under the Faculty of Mental Health and neuro Sciences (to be ratified by the Bangalore University) for which the eligibility to register for Ph.D. by research".
For further inforamtion, interrested candidates may correspond with the institute.
Method of selection
A. For Admission of Post Graduate Degree and Diploma courses the detailed porcerdure for selection will be as under :
I) From amongst the candidates applying for admission to various postgraduate course, a list, based on previous background of the candidates, medals, distinctions, honours received by them, other academic attainments, experience, extra curricular activities etc., will be prepared.
Ii) Candidates invited for selection may be required to appear for a written screening test.
Iii) Personal interview : Based on the performance of (I) and or (ii) the candidates are required to appear before a duly constituted Selection Committee for a personal interview.
Candidates sponsored by Central/State Governments and who have gone through the laid down precedure of selection will be given weightage in the selection.
Based on the above procedures the list of candidates for admission to the courses will be announced.
B. For Admissions to Nursing Courses
The applications received from the candidates are considered by a Committee constituted by the Dirrctor,. In selection, weightage is given to the candidates sponsored by the governments and other institutions. The selected candidates are informed through their employers.
Reservation of seats
(1) Reservations are provided for SC/ST candidates as per Government of Indian directions.
Twenty percent of the total Medical and non-Medical Courses (except DM/MCH) Courses and thirty percent of the Nursing Courses are reserved for SC/ST candidates.
(2) 5% of the total of post-graduate Medical seats are reserved for Medical Graduates who are working under the Family Welfare Programme in the rural areas for more than 2 years or doing practice for more than 2 years in rural areas having less than 5000 population subject to submission of a certificate from the district Magistrate.
(3) Six seats in Diploma in Psychological Medicine and three seats in M.Phil in Medical and Social Psychology courses are reserved for domiciles of Karnataka state.
All the applications of candidates belonging to SC/ST communities will be considered.
A. For Medical Courses :
Candidates selected for admission to the post-graduate courses are appointed as junior Residents and paid as under :
First Year - Rs 2630
Second Years - Rs. 2705
Third year - Rs. 2780
(Inclusive of NPA) +D.A. & C.C.A. as in force from time to time.
If the eligible PG students cannot get into Senior Residency in the D.M. & M. Ch courses which are of 5 years duration, they will continue to receive third year residency benefits unitl the completion of their courses.
NOTE : Candidates sponsored/deputed by Government & other agencies are also required to submit agreement bond with exclusion of para 6 of the agreement bond.
Emolumens of Senior Residents :
Candidates selected for the Senior Residency post are treated as temporary employees and offered stipend at the rate of Rs. 6565/- p.m. in the I year, Rs. 5050/- like PGA and NPA, D.A. C.C.A., H.R.A. The emoluments will be reduced by Rs. 100/- if he/she has only a postgraduate diploma; the emoluments iwl be reduced by Rs. 200/- if he/she has no postgraduate degree or diploma.
Each Junior/Senior Resident admited to the course will be on contract service for the duration of studies and will be required to execute a contract bond on a non-judicial stamp paper of Rs. 30/-. The bond duly completed in all respects is required to be submitted at the time of joining, failing which the candidate will not be allowed to join the course. A copy of the bond to be executed is given at the end of this prospectus.
B. For Non-Medical Courses :
(a) Candidates admitted for Ph.D. Programme :
Candidates admitted for three Ph.D. Degree Course (Non-Medical) will be paid the emoluments at the rate of Rs. 2607/- per month for the I year and for the two subsequent years at Rs. 3003/- per month including admissible allowances during the period of the course subject to a maximum of three years. The candidates are required to sign a bond on a non-Judicial stanp paper for Rs. 30/-. The bond duly completed in all respect is required to be submitted at the time of joining, failing which the candidate will not be allowed to join the course. A copy of the bond to be executed is given at the end of this prospectus.
(b) Candidates admitted to M.Phil Courses:
Candidates admitted to M.Phil courses are paid the emoluments at the rate of Rs. 2424/- per month for the I year and Rs. 2516/- per month for the II year including admissible allowances during the course. The candidates are reruired to execute a bond on a non-judicial stamp paper of Rs. 30/-. The bond duly completed in all respects is required to be submitted at the time of joining, failing which the candidate will not be allowed to join the course. A copy of the bond to be executed is given at the end of this prospectus.
C. Candidates admitted to M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing Course :
Candidates admitted for M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing will be paid NIMHANS stipend at the rate of Rs. 500/- p.m. for (consolidated) for I and II years of the coruse.
Note : This benefit is not available to candidates who are employed and are in receipt of pay and allowances during the period of their training.
D. Honorary Residents/Scholars :
When candidates are admitted to the post-graduate Degree and Diploma courses on deputation from State Government or other institutions or if foreign nationals are admitted to the courses when the residency emoluments or stipend of the Institute and not allowded, these categories of students are treated either as honorary Junir/Senior Resident/Research Scholars subject to fulfilling the qualifications of Junior/Senior Residency/Research Scholar.
E. Candidates admitted to Certificate in Nursing Courses :
Candidates admitted to the Diploma Courses in Psychiatric Nursing and Neurological and Neurosurgical Nursing are paid Rs. 400/- per month (fixed) as stipend only in respect of candidates coming from outside Bangalore during the period of the course (This is not available candidates who are employed and are in receipt pay and allowance).
Date of Joining
Selected candidates must mnoin the courses on the dates stipulated in the selection letters. Admission of the candidates who fail to join the courses within the dates stipulated in the letters of selection shall automatically stnd cancelled and such seats shall then be offered to the candidates in the waiting list in order of merit.
There are three hostels attached to the Institute. A hostel for men, a hostel for ladies and a hostel for female nurses. The Junior Residents admitted for various courses are required to stay in the hostels, subject to availability.
Residents admitted to post-graduate courses and candidates admitted to the Ph.D. programme and M.Phil courses are provided accommodation i the two hostels of the Institute. The accommodation gernerally will be a single room facility partially furnished. Family accommodation is not available. The accomodation is free for Junior Residents. However, the Junior Residents are required to pay Rs. 12/- permonth towards electricity and water charges. Candidates who are admitted to the Ph.D. and M.Phil courses are required to pay Rs. 60/- per month inclusive of accommodation, electricity and water charges. Candidates admitted to the nursing courses are provide rent free and partially urnished accommodation.
Those residing in the hostels should compulsorily join the Mess. Mess is run on a co-operative sharing basis. The warden appointed by the Insitute will have general supervision over the hostels. Those residing in the hostels are required to adhere to hostel Rules and Rgulations.
The following prizes are awarded by NIMHANS to the candidates who secure highest marks in the final qualfying examinations.
I. D.L.N. Murthy Rao Memorial Prize for a candidate who is qualified in the DPM examination.
II. M.V. Govindaswamy Memorial Prize for a candidate who is qualified in M.Phil in Medical and Social Psychology.
III. M.V. Govindaswamy Memorial Prize for a candidate who is qualified in M.Phil in Psychiatric Social Work.
IV. M.V. Govindaswamy and D.L.N. Murthy Rao Prize for a candidate who is qualified in the DPN examination of NIMHANS and who secures highest marks in the final examination.
V. Silver Jubilee Award for the best outgoing students of D.M. Degree in Neurology, M.Ch degree in Neurosurgery and M.D. Degree in Psychological Medicine.
1. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
2. Institute takes no responsibility for any delay in the receipt or loss of application in transit.
3. Candidates are advised to send the applicationfrom preferably by Registered Post.
4. Incomplete applications will not be entertained.
5. All particulars in the application from must be filled as per the insturctions contained in the application form.
6. All claims made in the application must be supported with documentary proof.
7. Employees of the State or Central Governments or of any public under takings should send their applications through their employers. However the advance copy of the application (complete in all respects) can be sent. In case the application is not ereceived through the employer before the date of the interview, a No objection Certificate from the employer should be produced at the time of interview, withoutwhich the candidate will not be interviewed.
8. Candidates invited for screening test/personal interview have to make their own arrangements for stay for two or three days in Bangalore. No TA/DA is admissible.
9. The decision of the Director of the Institute shall be final in matters of selection of candidates for admission to the virious courses and no appeal shall be entertained on this subject.
10. Any attempt on the part of the candidate of influence directly or indirectly will be treated as a disqualification.
11. Each candidate selected for admission is required to pay the fees/dues within the prescribed period failing which his/her admission shall be cancelled and the next candidate on the waiting list shall be admitted in the order of merit.
12. Private practice in any form while undergoing the course is prohibited.
13. The candidate is strictly prohibited from undergoing any partime or correspondence courses without the written prior permission of the Director of the Institute.
14. The period of training is full-time and continuous.
15. All candidates admitted to the Institute shall maintain good conduct; attend their classes regularly and abide by the regulations of the Institute.
16. No individual intimatio to un-selected candidates will be sent and no correspondence on this subject will be entertained.
17. Selected candidats shall have to submit mgration certificatye and T.C. from the University from which he/she passed the last qualifying examination before joining the Institute.
18. Wearing of white coats with name plates is compulsory for all candidates while engaged in clinical and laboratory work. Resident doctors should possess their own Opthalmoscope, Knee hammer, Stethoscope, Tuning Fork, etc. Candidates of the Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, M.Phil in Medical and Social Psychology, should possess their own stop watch and Rorschach cards.
19. The Rules are subject to change in accordance with the decision of the Institute from time to time.
In case any candidate is found to have supplied false information or certificate etc., or is found to have withheld or concealed some information, he/she shall be debarred from continuing the course and shall face such approapriate action initiated against him/her by the Director of the Institute.
Candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste/Tribe Communities are exempted from the payment of Tution fee, Registertain fee and Examination fee.
A) The following fees are payable by candidates admitted to the Institute
Nature of fees M.D.D.M. & M.Ch. D.P.M. All M.Phil Courses Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology Ph.D. by research under FMH & NS M.Sc. in Nursing Remarks
1. Registration fee 500 500 500 500 500 500 Payable at the time of joining
2. Sports Fee 12 12 12 12 12 do
3. Examination Fee As prescribed by the B'lore University
4. Tuition Fees 450 375 450 450 450 750 240 Payable at the time of joining further pay ments to be made during the month
5. Laboratory Fee 300 250 250 300 450 250 of Sept. every year till the completion of the course.
6. Sports Fee 30 30 30 30 30 30 do
7. Staff Recreation club 30 30 30 30 30 30 do
8. Caution money deposit 600 600 600 600 600 600 Payable at the time of joining.
This is refundable on completion of the course.
9. Journal Fee 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 Per year, but one time payment in full duration of course.
10. Indentification 15 15 15 15 15 15 At the time of joining.
General fees payable by the candidates admitted to all courses.
(IX) Eligibility Fee
Rs. 25/- for students coming from other Universities in Karnataka
Rs. 100/- for students of other Payable at
Universities outside Karnataka. the time of joining
Rs. 2000/- for Foreign students.
B) For hostel residents :
i) Hostel Deposit - Rs. 400/- Payable at the time of joining.
This amount is refundable on completion of the course.
ii) Maintenance charges of - Rs. 30/- per annum. First instalment payable at the time of joining and subsequent payments every year alongwith the Tuition Fee.
iii) Electricity and Water - Rs. 12/- per month.
N.B. Fees prescribed as aforesaid is subject to alteration.
Office hours :
Week Days : 09-00 to 13-00 and 13.00 to 16.30 hours
All communications should be addressed to :
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF MENTAL HEALTH & HEURO SCIENCES, P.B. No. 2900, Hosur Road, Bangalore - 560 029.
Telegraphic Address :
Telex : 845-2186 NIMH IN
FAC : 091-812-641256
Telephones : 642121 (10 lines) with extensions to all Administrative Officer, Professors and others.