SANJAY GANDHI POST GRADUATE INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
P.B. No. 375, Raebareli Road,
LUCKNOW - 226 001, U.P. (India)
Tel : PABX : 51200/53700/54800/55800
Fax : 0091-522-51993
Telex : 535-411-SGPG-IN
Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of medical Sciences has been established by an act of U.P. legislature as an autonomous institution for super speciality patient care, post graduate medical education and research. It is an 'Univesity' which will offer specialized courses to mecical, scientific and paramedical personnel. Its mandate is to provide medical facilities which have hitherto been nonexistent in the state or country and to currant front line research in areas of national relevance.
The Institute has serveral unique feathres which are distinct from other National Institutes such as All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, and Post Graduate Insittute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh. At SGPGI specialities are developed in the form of integrated centers combining medical, surgical and basic science components related to the speciality. This will facilitate treatement of patients as well as training and researched activities.
The aims and objectivies off the Institute as laid down in the Act are as follows :
(a) To create a centre of excellence for providing medical care, education and existing supper specialities and such others as may emerge in future, including continuing medical education.
(b) To develop Patterns of teaching in postgraduate medical education in super-specialities so as to set a high standard of medical education.
(c) To provides training in para-medical and allied fields, particularly in relation to superspecialities.
(d) To conduct front line research in trust areas identified on the basis of national needs & development.
Selection for the Junior Residency, Senior Residency and Ph.D. students is made twice a year, viz. January & July as per the requirement of ther departments. The session commences on 1st January and 1st July respectively each year. There are two categories of Senior Residents : (a) those admitted for DM/M.Ch. courses and (b) taken for hospital services only. The examination is common for both. A common merit list is drawn & DM/M.Ch seats are offered to candidates in order for merit. The other candidates who qualify in the test are offered senior residency in hospital services depending on the number of posts available. M.D. selection is made as per the guide lines issued by the supreme court from time to time.
II. Degrees Awarded
The candidates joining for D.M. /M.Ch. degree courses shall be called Senior Residents. The candidates joining MD courses will be called Junior Residents.
The facilities for Senior Residency/Junior Residency and Postgraduate Courses are available in the following specialities.
(a) M.D. : Transfusion Medicine Nuclear Medicine Microbiology Radiology, Radiotherapy, Pathology & Anaesthesiology.
(b) M.Ch. : Cardio Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Urology, surgical Gastroentrology.
(c) D.M. : Gastroentrology, Nephrology, Genetics, Immunology, Cardiology, Endocrinology (Medical), Neurology,
(d) Ph.D. degree or SGPGIMS is open to candidates in various disciplines
(i) Clinical Sciences
(ii) Basic Sciences comprising following disciplines :
(a) Clinical Chemistry
(b) Endocrimology (Experimental)
(e) Life Sciences
(f) Medical Physics
Note : The candidate applying for admission to Ph.D. degree course should clearly indicate in application form the disciplone/speciality in which he/she wishes to work.
Hospital Service Senior Residents : SGPGI is open to candidates in all the departments*. thus in addition to the departments listed above, where D.M./M.Ch. courses exists, service residents shall also be selected for Medical and Surgical Endocrinology, Surgical Gastrontrology, Pathology, Neurology, Radiology, anesthesiology, Nuclear Medicine etc. The exact information about DM/M.Ch/MD/Ph.D seats and vacancies in Hospital Services will be given in the advertisement.
III. Admission Requirements
For M.D. Course :
A candidate must possess MBBS degree of a University recognized for this purpose and must have completed the required period of preregistration internship or rotating housemanship in a recognized hospital.
Those who are likely to complete their internships beyond the starting date of the session need not apply :
For M.Ch. Course :
A candidate must possess M.S. degree in Surgery of any recognized university or an equivalent qualification recognized by the MCI for this purpose.
For D.M. course :
A candidate must possess M.D. degree in medicine or pediatrics of any recognized university or an equivalent qualification recognized by the MCI for this purpose.
Number of seats available in each speciality for the session will be notified in the respective advertisement.
For Ph.D. course :
The candidate seeking admission to the Ph.D. course must possess at least one of the following qualifications with a minimum of 555 marks.
(a) M.B.B.S. with diploma or one year research experience.
(b) M.Sc. in Science subject or Equivalent
(c) M.V. Sc/M. Pharm, or equivalent
(d) M.Tech. or equivalent
(c) M.D./M.S. or equivalent
Candidates having cleared CSIR/UGC examinations with fellowship award will be considered for admission without written examination. However, these will be supernumeric seats & no financial support will be provided by the Institute. Such candidates have also to clear Viva voce.
IV. Duration of courses :
(a) M.D. : The period of registration will be three years.
(b) D.M./M.Ch. : All D.M./M.Ch. courses are of 3 yrs. duration.
(c) Hospital Service : Senior residents shall be selected on yearly basis; however, appointment may be renewed on the basis of satisfactory performance.
(d) Ph.D. : The Ph.D. registration for candidates having Masters degree will be minimum for three and maaximum for five years. Candidates with MBBS degree will need minimum three years and maximum six years.
V. System of evaluation
Application for admission
The last date for receipt of application in the prescribed form is as notified Application for selection for Junior Residency /Ph.D./D.M./M.Ch. & Hospital services resident courses shall be made on prescribed form to the Registrar of SGPGI. The prospectus with application form can be had by sending a crossed bank Draft for Rs. 25/- drawn in favour of the director, SGPGIMS, payable at the State Bank of India, SGPGI Branch, Lucknow. A candidate may apply for one speciality and may mention of the desires to be considered for hospital service senior residency.
The candidates in employment must get their applications forwarded through proper channel. However, the advance copy should reach the institute within the specified time limit and the original sent through proper channel by the last specified sate for receipt of original applications.
All particulars in the enclosed application form should be provided carefully and legibly and sent in a cover subscribed "application for M.D./Ph.D./D.M./M.Ch./Hospital Service residency" to the Executive registrar, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Insitute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow - 226001 preferably by registered Post and Acknowledgement due together with a Fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees two hundered) by crossed bank Draft payable at the State Bank of India, SGPGI Branch Lucknow, so as to reach him on or before the last date. The fee will not be refunded in any case. Applications, which are incomplete, shall not be considered, and no communication shall be entertained. The Institute takes no responsibility for any delay in the receipt or loss of application in postal transit.
VI. Method of Selection
1. Each candidates will be given theory test of 90 minutes specially designed in the subject the candidate has applied for. Following the theory test, the candidates, if qualify, will undergo departmental assessment in the respective Department.
2. The faculty of the department shall judge the suitability of the candidates keeping in view the practical knwoeldte of the subject, ability to attain high academic level in the particular discipline, aptitute for research and teaching.
3. The candidates will be finally interviewed by the Selection Committee under Chairmanship of the Director.
4. Distribution of marks : Theory examination : 60%
Department test : 40%
Selection Committee Interview : 10%
As per the Supreme Court ruling :
Candidates fulfilling the eligibility criteria will be called for a written entrance test which wil be conducted on an all India basis. The test will comprise of the following :
(a) Aptitude test (written) 40 marks
(b) Knowledge of subject (written) 40 marks
(c) Viva Voce 20 marks
A merit list will be drawn up of all candidates who have secured more than 60% marks in the above test. The admission of candidates will depend on the number of available seats.
Candidates who have passed national Examination conducted by CSIR or UGC etc. may be exempted from the above written examination and may be eligible for direct admission to the Ph.D. course after clearing Viva Voce.
In-house candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria and desire to be enrolled in the Ph.D. programmes have also to under go the qualifying entrance test. In case selected, they will have to work as full time Ph.D. Students for minimum period of two years on leave.
The following emoluments will be paid :
(i) The Hospital Service Senior Residents whall be paid as under :-
First Year : 3150/-
Second Year : 3250/-
Third Year : 3350/-
These are Inclusive of all allowances except dearness allowance which will be admissible as per STate Government rules. (* — Subject to change)
(ii) D.M./M.Ch. candidates who are selected for the seats of Senior Residents will be paid emoluments as applicable to their posts.
(iii) M.D. candidates and junior resident swill be paid as per rules applicable to similar candidates at AIIMS.
(iv) Candidates (non-medical) selected for Ph.D., degree courses will be paid the Institute Fellowshoip at the following rates :
Ist & IInd year IIIrd year
(a) Scientific disciplines other than Rs. 2400/- p.m. Rs. 2100/-p.m.
medical & bio-engineering.
(b) Medical & bio-engineering Rs. 2400/- p.m. Rs. 2500/- p.m.
field/MBBS with the one year internship.
(c) No. DA and CCA will be paid. They will be entitled to casual leave Female Research Fellows will be entitled to maternity leave.
IX. Duties and REsponsibilities
Duties and responsibilities of all Resident doctors shall be fixed by the institute from time to time. Tjhey will be required to perform such work as may be need in the legitimate interest of patient care in the hospital
The following leave will be permissible to the Senior Residents.
1. Casual leave 12 days in a calender year.
2. earned leave 30 days for one year's services.
However Medical Leave will not be permissible to D.M./M.Ch./M.D. students.
XI. Date of Joining
Selected candidates must join the courses on the date stipulated in the letter of selection.
Admission of the candidates, who fail to join the courses by the date stipulated in the letter of selection shall automatically stand cancelled and such seats shall then be offered to the candidates on the waitin list in order of merit.
XII. Medical Examination
The selection of each candidate will be subject to medical fitness. No selected candidate will be permitted to pay the fee and join the course unless declared medically fit by the Medical board appointed by the Institute. The decision of the Medical Board shall be final.
The following fees will be payable by each candidate at the time of admission.
1. Registration fee : Rs. 50/- Payable at the time of admission.
2. Tution Fee and Laboratory : Rs. 500/- Payable in two equal half yearly installment
3. Caution Money Rs. 500/- To be deposited at the time of payment of 1st installment of fee.
4. Examination fee
(a) D.M./M.Ch. & Ph.D. Rs. 500/- Payable along with the enrollment form.
(b) Entrance Examination Rs. 200/- Payable with application
5. (a) Hostel rent for Rs. 900/- Payable in two equal half yearly
unmarried accommodation Installment in advance.
to research fellow.
(b) Hostel rent for married Rs. 1200/- Payable in two equal halr yearly Installment
accommodation to in advance.
6. (a) Water & Electricity Rs. 25/- Payable each month by deduction from
charges from monthly enrollments
(b) Water & Electricity Rs. 40/- do
charges from married
Sr. Resident/Research Fellows.
7. Mess Security Rs. 500/- Payable at the time of allotment of hostel accommodation.
Please Note :
1. Fees and other charges including hostel rent once paid shall not be refunded in any case including that of a student leaving the institute before the completion of term or not joining the Institute for any reason and no corresondence will be entertained in this connection.
2. However, the caution money will be refunded to to those candidates who do not join the course. Incase of those candidates who leave the course, in the middle as well as after the completion of the course. the balance of caution money, if any after deduction of the due charges will be refunded. The caution money must be claimed within three years after completion of the course failing which it will be forfeited.
3. The first installment of fees is payable at the time of admission and the second installment is payable latest by ........... of the year. The Directory/Dean at his/her discretion may allow upto 15 days time after the dates aforesaid to any student for making payment of fees etc. On default the Director/Dean may impose such penalty as considered necessary on merits of each case.
XIV. Submission of thesis
This will be done as per the policy adopted by the House Allottment Committee valid at the time of the application.
XVI. General Instructions.
1. Applications received late will not be considered.
2. All particulars in the application form must be written carefully and legibly. The candidates may apply to only one specialityand no change in specially will be allowed afterwards.
3. The candidates invited for interview for admission to the various postgraduate courses may be required to stay in twon for two three days.
4. The decision of the Dean/Director of the Institute shall be final in the matter of selection of candidates for admission to the various courses and no appeal shall be entertained on this subject.
5. Any attempt on the part of a candidate to influence selection directly or indirectly will be treated as a disqualification.
6. Each candidates selected for admission shall have to pay the fee/dues within the prescribed period, failing which his/her admission shall be canceled and the next candidate on the waiting list shall be admitted, in order or merit.
7. Private practice in any form during the period of the course is prohibited. The period of training is strictly full time and continuous.
8. All students admitted to the Institute shall maintain good conduct, pay the requisite tuition fees and other charges by due dates, attend their classes regularly and abide by the regulations of the institute falling which their names are liable to be struck off the rolls of the institute.
9. N individual itimation to unselected candidates will be sent and no correspondence on this subject will be entertained.
10. The selected candidates shall have to submit migration certificate from the University from which he/she passed the MBBS/MD examination.
11. The selected medical candidates shall have to submit the Permanent Registration Certificate at the time of Joining.
12. The rules are subject to change in accordance with the decision of the institute taken from time to time.
Instructions sheet for M.D. Entrance Examination May 1993 :
Programme of Examination : The Examination for admission to M.D. course will be held on April 11, 1993 at 10.00 am in the Central School Premises located in this Institute Campus.
Reservation : Reservation policy will be followed as per Government rules.
Emoluments : Rs 2030/- p.m. Rs. 2705/- pm & Rs. 2780/- pm including all allowances except D.A. in first, second & third year respectively.
General Conditions :
1. The candidates must be registered with Central./State Medical Council.
2. The duration for admission to D.M.D. courses will be three years after M.B.B.S.
3. The selections will be made on All India basis. Candidates will be selected strictly on merit determined by selection procedure. The entrance examination will as per be Supreme Court which is as follows :
Written Test (1st Paper) : 600 Marks 2 hours
(2nd Paper) : 600 Marks 2 hours
The final merit list will be prepared of the basis of Written Test only.
4. No seperate call letters will be issued. Candidates who consider themselves eligible as per the advertisement may collect their Admit. Cards from the registrar's Office, Adm. Block on 19th April. 199. will 3.00 p.m. for respective courses. An additional recent passport size photograph and document/certificate in original will be required at the time of examination for verification.
5. All the aforesaid qualification or its equivalent should have been ottained from an institution recognised by Medical Council of India.
6. Candidates in employment must get their applications duly forwarded or bring "No Objection Certificate from their employer at the time of examination"
7. The merit cum writing valid only upto next selection process.
8. The number of vacancies is tentative. It is likely to increase of decrease as per requirement/aproval).
9. Incomplete applications received beyond the last date will be rejected.
10. Applications should be addressed to the Executive Registrar of the Insitute and must write on the top of the envelope the advertisement of and the specially for which the application has been made.
11. Director reserves the right to annual selection without assigning any reason.