Post Graduate Degree/Diploma/M.D.S./M.Pharmacy Courses in Government Medical Colleges, Tamilnadu.
Directorate of Medical Education Chepauk, Madras-600 005.
Instructions to candidates :
1. Completed Application with Enclosures should be sent in the cover provided, by Resgistered Post or delivered in person ON OR BEFORE 5.45 P.M. on Febrary * each year.
2. Fill up the coding sheet legibly, neatly and correctly. The information will be processed by using Computer. Any mistake committed by the candidate will prejudice the selection.
3. Service candidates should send their application through the Heads of the Department. Application without certificate of the Heads of the Department for service candidates will be rejeted. (The Heads of the Institutions will issue the certificate)
4. Candidates who have successfully completed MBBS/BDS course are eligible to apply for P.G. Diploma and Degree Courses and should have completed C.R.R.I. on or before February.
5. Hall Tickets will be sent to eligible candidates by Registered Post. Those who have not received the Hall Ticket can collect the same in person form the Controller of Examination, Officer of the Selection committe, Shabarmathi Hostel, Kilpauk Medical College Hospital Campus, kilpauk, Madras-60 010 in March * on production of satisfactory proof of despatch of application form.
6. Entrance Examination will be conducted in March at Madras only.
7. Results will be announced in April
8. Last date and time for joining of candidates form the first merit list : April before 1.00 P.M.
9. Course will commence latest by May.
* liable to change.
PRICE RS. 200/-
Government Medical Colleges in Tamil Nadu
Post Graduate Degree/Diploma/M.D.S./M. Pharmacy Course - 1993-94.
1. Candidates should be citizen of India and who are already qualified MBBS/BDS/B. Pharmacy courses as the case may be are eligible. Admission in the Government Medical Collleges in Tamil Nadu for Post Graduate Courses for the year 1993-94 will be made on the basis of marks obtained by them in the Entrance Examination and marks awarded for No. of years after completion of C.R.R.I.
II. Eligiligy :
1. Post Graduate Courses in MD/MS/Diplomas
a. Candidates who have completed CRRI on or before 16th Feb. are eligible to apply of Post Graduate Diploma and Degree courses.
b. Candidates for admission to Post Graduate courses should produce evidence to the effect that he/she qualified for MBBS Degree of Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Madras/M. adurai Kamaraj University or any other university recognised as equivalent thereto by the India Medical Council (The full registration certificate of having completed CRRI should be produced at the time of admission and copies of these enclosed along with the application).
c. As per the direction of the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India, the duration of course for Diploma will be of two years and to have 3 years Post Graduate Degree courses form the academic session 1993, onwards. Theres will not be any preceeding diploma eligibility for degree courses. The option given in the coding sheet will be final. Erasing or overwriting will not be considered.
d. A candidate who is already having a Post Graduate Degree/Diploma in any one speciality shall not be eligible to appear for Entrance Test for admission to any other Post Graduate Degree/Diploma. Non-clinical Degree holders are not eligible for clincial Degree courses, whereas Clinical Degree holders are eligible for Non-clinical Degree courses only, irrespective of the speciality.
e. A candidate who is already having P.G. Diploma in any one speciality shal not be eligible to appear for Entrance Test for admission to any other P.G. Diploma.
f. Candidates qualified in one speciality seeking admission into another speciality by suppressing the fact that they have already undergone a Post Graduate course or undergoing Post Graduate course are liablle to be expelled and their selection will be cancelled.
2. The candidate should indicate in the appropriate place in th application form, the order of his/her, choice of the courses for which he/she seeks admission which sould not exceed two each for Degree and Diploma courses.
Choice of Courses :
Diploma : Two choice
Degree : Two choice
3. Post Graduate Course in M.D.S.
Candidates for admission to these courses should produce satisfactory evidence to the effect that he/she has obtained B.D.S. degree of Madras University or any other university recognises as equivalent thereto by the Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University and the Dental Council of India. (The candidate should produce BDS Degree Certificate in original at the time of admission and enclose copy of the same along with the application.) He/she after qualifying for BDS Degree of the Madras University or a Degree accepted as equivalent thereto should have been engaged as :
Dental Sergeons who have graduated (BDS) from a recognised Dental Institution in India or recognised equivalent qualification should be made eligible for Post Graduate study subject to the following conditions :
i) As per old regulatons BDS Degree with one year house surgency is mandatory (where CRRI was not in existence.
ii) As per new regulations, the BDS. Degree (with one year CRRI, incorporated) should be made eligible.
4. Post Graduate Degree Courses in M. Pharmacy
Candidates for admisison to this course should produce satisfactory evidence to the effect that he/she has obtained the B. Pharmacy Degree of Madras/Madurai Kamaraj Univesity or any other Universitites recognised as equivalent thereto by the above Universities. (The candidates should attach Photostat copies of the marks lists of all the examinations in B. Pharmacy.)
III. General Instructions :
1. Candidates who have passed the requisite qualifying examination of the Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Madras/Madurai Kamaraj University or of any other University recognised as equivalent thereto by the above Universities or the Indian Medical Council/Dental Council Pharmacy Council as the case may be are eligible to apply for the Post Graduate Degree/Diploma courses.
2. Excepting those candidates who have studied from 9th standard onwards in Tamil Nadu and also the Professiona course (MBBS/BD/B Pharmacy) in Tamil Nadu Government Colleges. Others must furnish a certificate of permanent residence given by the competent authority, in the form annexed to the application itself. Candidates who have completed MBBS Course from Private Medical Colleges from Tamil Nadu should produce a permanent Residence Certificate from competent authorities.
i) The Entrance Examination shall be of the standard of MBBS/BDS Examination and shall cover all the subjects of MBBS/BDS course.
ii) There shall be two papers of 2 hours duration each containing 150 MCQ. Paper/I will consist of Pre-clinical and Para-clinical subjects ane Paper II will consist of clinical subjects. Paper-I will be from 10.00 A.M. to 12.00 Noon. Paper -II will be from 2.30 P.M. to 4.30 P.M. All Questions will be of objective type. Each answer with correct response shall be awarded 0.9 marks with a total of 135 for Paper-I and 135 for Paper-II totalling to 270 for the Entrance Examination. The total marks for 270 will be reduced to 90 (ninety) and 10 marks will be alloted for the No. of years after completing CRRI (1 marks for each completed year).
iii) Negative marks will be awarded for the incorrect response. 0.25 marks will be deducted from the total for every negative response.
iv) No mark will be awarded for the questions not answered.
v) More than one answer indicated against the Questio will be deemed as incorrect response and negative mark will be awarded.
4. Private candidates should send their application in the prescribed form direct to the controller of Examination. Office of the Selection Committee, Shabarmathi Hostel, Kilpauk Medical College Hospital Campus, Madras 600 010, before the prescribed date and time.
5. Service candidates of Tamil Nadu Medical Service should send their application forms duly filed in the to the Controller of Examinations, Sabarmathi Hostel, Kilpauk Medical College Hospital Campus, Madras 600 010 through their heads of Department before the prescribed date and time with the service certificate furnished by the Head of the Department, failing which the application will be rejected.
6. Service candidates belonging to the Public Sector/Local bodies/Defence services should apply through their Heads of Departments of the Controler of Examination, Office of the Selectin Committee, Sabarmathi Hostel, Kilpauk Medical College Hospital Campus, Madras -600010.
(i) Incomplete and wrongly filled applications and applications received after the due date and time will be rejected summarily.
(ii) The claims of candidates form other states for admission to the courses will be considered only if vacancies exist after considerting the claims of service and non-service candidates from Tamil Nadu.
7. The Post Graduate Degree/Diploma courses and number of seats available in each college are given in the Annexure.
8. A candidate needs to send only one application form.
9. All the entries in the application form must be legibly written by the candidate in his/her own handwriting.
10. A crossed Demand draft dated not earlier than 29th January, from any Branch of the State Bank of India (to be cleared at the Service Branch at Thousand Lights, Madras-6) or in any Nationalized Banks drawn in favour of the DIRECTOR OF MEDICAL EDUCATION, MADRAS-5 for Rs. 100/- (Rupees One hundred only) towards Registratin fee, should be attached tot he application. This fee will not be refunded under any circumstances, whether the candidate is considered for selection or not. Candidates are, therefore, advised to statisfy themselves before applying that they fulfil all the conditions for admission to the course prescribed as per the prospectus.
11. No documents produced along with the application will be returned. Hence only Photostate copies should be sent with the application form. The selection of candidates will be considered only when all the certificates are in order. The original certificates should be produced at the time of admission for verification. The original certificates once deposited on admission can not and will not be relaesed to them until they are considered to be no longer required by the College. Every application with all enclosures, except CODING SHEET and master card - (coding sheet should not be sitched) securely fastended should be sent by REGISTERED POST. The application, duly filled in with all enclosures including coding sheet should reach the office of the Selection Committee, Sabarmathi hostel, KMC Hospital Campus, Madras 10 on or before 5.45 P.M. on 16th Feb.
12. The following duly attested photostat copies of documents should be attached to the application.
a) Course certificate from the parent college.
b) Diploma or MBBS Degree Certificate.
c) Service statement indicating the details of service put in by the candidate.
d) Mark sheets of the B. Pharm. examinations in the case of M.Pharm applicants only.
e) MBBS/BDS (Final year Medicine, Surgery and O.G. marks) and Diploma mark sheets are to be enclosed.
f) Affix stamp for Rs. 10/- each (Rupees Ten only) n two covers provided.
g) Certificate prescribed in Clause III 13(3) should be furnished by candidates of concerned category only.
13a. i) 50% of the seats available in each of the specialities shall be as open quota to which both service and non service candidates shall be eligible for selection on the basis of merit duly following the rule of reservation. The open quota will first be filled up.
ii) 50% of the seats in each of the specialities shall be allocated exclusively to service candidates.
iii) If sufficient number of service candidates do not apply or do not qualify for admission to the 50% of seats reserved for them, the vacancies shall be filled up form eligible non-service candidates.
iv) The following categories of Medical Officers only will be treated as service candidates and considered for selection against the 50% of seats allocated exclusively for service candidates.
1. Medical officers who have been selected by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission and appointed in Tamil Nadu Medical Service on a regular or temporary basis.
2. All Medical Officers or Health officers selected by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission who are working under the control of the Director of Public Health and Preventive Medicine and who apply for Public Health courses like Diploma in Public Health and M.D. (SPM) only.
3. Medical Officers who are approved probationers and who ar working.
i) in Local bodies and Municipalities in Tamil Nadu;
ii) in Government of India institutions in Tamil Nadu;
iii) in Public sector undertaking and organisations under the control of the Government of India in Tamil Nadu and;
iv) in undertaking and organisations of the Government of Tamil Nadu;
These officers should give an undertaking to the concerned authorities that they would serve for a minimum period of 5 years in the respective institution, after completion of course and should produce a certificate from the concerned authority to show that they have given the undertaking.
v) The following categories of officers will be treated as Private prpactitioners and considered for selection under the Open quota only : (50% for all specialities).
1. All Medical Officer,s who have not been selected by the Tamil Public Service Commission and purely temporary candidates 10(a) (i) in the Tamil Nadu Medical Service and in the Tamil Nadu Public Health Service.
2. All Medical Officers who are working temporarily or who are probation ers in Central Government Public Sector under taking, Railways, CGHS, Local Bodies and Municipalities in Tamil Nadu and Tamil Nadu Government undertaking and organizations.
3. Medical officers or Health officers in the Tamil Nadu Public Health Service who are working undere the control of Director of Public Health and preventive Medicine and who are applying for Post Graduate Degree/Diploma course — Higher Speciality courses other than Diploma in public Health and M.D. (SPM).
4. Private Practioners.
a) There will be reservations of 1% seats in each course for candidates belonging to Scheduled Tribe. 18% for Scheduled Castes and 20% of seats for most Backward classes and Denotified communities and 30% for Backward Communities, and the 31% for Open competition. The rule of Reservation will apply to any course with seats 4 and above.
b) The rule of reservation, i.e. 31% for Open Competition, 30% for Backward Classes, 20% for most Backward class and denotified communities and 18% for scheduled caste and 1% for scheduled tribes shall apply to the 50% seats reserved for service candidates and to the 50% seats to be filled on the basis of merit from service and non service candidates, separately under each specialily.
c) All the candidates should produce a separate communicate certificate issued by the appropriate revenue authorities as a prrof of certificate of social status namely. backward classes/most backward classes and denotified communities/scheduled caste and scheduled tribes in the latest format. The S.T. candidates should obtain the community certificate from the revenue divisional officer.
IV. Method of selection and Admission :
1. The maximum marks for Entrance Examination shall be 270 Reduced to 90 (ninety) for two papers and marks for each year after completion of CRRI shall be 1(one marks to a maximum of 10. The overall total will be 100 marks for evaluation.
A candidate should have secured not less than 50% in the aggregate is the minimum eligibility mark for consideration to the course. However this rule is not applicable to candidates belonging SC/STs.
In case where more than one candidate has secured the same number of marks, the tie shall be resolved on the basis of the following factors in the order of priority.
i) Marks obtained in the Entrance Examination.
ii) Marks in the subject concerned in the qualifying examination.
iii) Least number of attempts in passing the subject concerned in the qualifying examination; and
iv) Age candidate older in age to be preferred to one younger in age).
2. The Centre for Entrance Examination will be notified in the Hall Ticket. The examination will beheld Ist march at Madras for eligible candidates. No request will be entertained for change of centre at Madras.
3. The examination centre will be indicated in the Hall Ticket which will be sent by Registered Post only to those candidates who fulfill the admission requirements in respect of nationality/educational qualification. Candidates will not be allowed to appear for the entrance Examination unless he/she holds the hall ticket. A blank Hall Ticket form is attached to the application form. The candidate should fill in his/her name and mailing address in block letters and affix thrtee identical stamp size phtos duly attested. Admission to the Entrance Examination does not confe on the candidate right of admission to the course if he/she is found ineligible later on. The controller of Examinations/the Director of Medical Education bears no responsibility for non receipt of hall tickets due to loss in transit or any other ground.
V. Annual fees payable after admission.
Tution fees For P.G. Diploma 1000/- p.a.
Tution fees For P.G. Degree 1200/- p.a.
Special fees As levied in the respective Colleges.
Registration fees Payable as per University Regulations.
a) The above fees are subject to revision by the Government from time to time.
b) Candidates should pay, at the time of admission, a deposit amount to be fixed by the Dean towards the recovery of the cost of broken instrument which will be refunded to the candidates at the end of course, if there has been no breakage.
All service P.Gs shall be paid stipend equivalent to half pay + D.A. (vide G.O. Ms No. 485, Health dt. 2.4.91)
i) The entire period spent by the Serivce candidates of the Tamil Nadu state Government for undergoing Post Graduate courses with stipend shall be treated as duty for all purpose viz. probatin, increment, pension etc. except for the purpose of pay and leave with effect from 1st April 1978.
ii) The non service candidates will be sanctioned a consolidated stipend of Rs. 1050/- (Rupees One thousand and fifty only) per mensum.
iii) The Tamil Nadu Government Service candidates except those selected for nonclinical speciality against paid posts will neither be eligible for study leave nor paid post.
iv) The Tamil Nadu State Govt. Service candidates should execute a bnod along with two sureties in permanent Government service of equivalent or higher rank to the candidate, in the prescribed from available in the respective colleges, at the time of admission.
v) Candidates from Local Bodies like Corporations, municipalities and Panchyats in Tamil Nadu and candidates from Tamil Nadu Government undertaking and organisatins, Govt. of India Institution in Tamil Nadu and Public Sector undertaking and organisation of Government of India in Tamil Nadu will be eligible for stipend of Rs. 1050/- (Rupees One thousand and fifty only) per mensum irrespective of their service subject to the condition that they should produce a certificate from the employee as mentioned in clauses (a), (b) and (c) below and subject to the conditions mentioned in clauses (d) and (e) below..
a) The candidate has been relieved of his duties from the present employment by the parent department.
b) That the candidate is not in receipt of salary/leave salary or any other financial assistance from the employer during his Post Graduate study period.
c) That the candidate will be permitted to undergo his/her Post Graduate course as a full time post Graduate student in the Institution in which he/she has been posted.
d) Any Post graduate students of the above said category who have been granted Earned Leave followed by extra-ordinary leave without pay and allowances will be paid as stipend only form the ddate from which EOL without pay and allowances is granted by the Employer.
e) If the candidate fails to satisfy the above conditions they will not be granted any stipend.
vi) a) The candidates admitted from other states for Post Graduate Degree/Diploma courses in Government Medical Colleges and Government Dental College in the state will be paid stipend at the rat eof Rs. 1050 per mensum on par with non-service candidates in the state, subject to the condition that they should execute a bond to serve in rural areas to be prescribed by the Director of Medical Education.
b) The Post Graduates students who do not wish to execute bond with the state Government may enter into bond for serving in rural reas with their parent State Government and in the case, they should receive stipned from their parent state Government or they should forego receiving the amount of stipend.
vii) The amount of security fixed based on duration of Post Graduate courses is as follows :
1. Service candidate who are approved probationers and have completed five years of serivce at the time of joining the Post Graduate course and who are granted stipend to undergo Post Graduate course. (Rs. 8000/- per year)
2. Regular service candidate who have not completed five years of service and who are granted stipend to undergo Post Graduate course (Rs. 7000/- per year)
3. Temporary service candidates who are granted stipend to undergo Post Graduate course (Rs. 4000/- per year)
viii) Non service (private) candidates in all specialities execept those relating to non clinical subjects should execute an undertaking to the effect that they will serve within this country, not necessarily in Government service, for a period of not less than five years after the completion of Post Graduate course, if the candidates works with in the country for a period of 5 years the amounts given to them during their post graduate course will be treated a stipend even to them during their post graduate course will be treated a stipend even if the candidats serve with in the country for a period of one, two or three years, proprotionate amount will be treated as stipend and the recipients should pay back the balance mount to the Government. The undertaking should be executed byt he candidates with two permanent Government servants as surities or persons with immoable property. Otherwise, the candidates should produce necessary bank gurantee.
ix) The bonds mentioned are security bonds and will fall within the scope of clause (c) under exemption under Articles 57 of schedule I to the Indian Stamp Act, 1899 (Central Act II of 1899). They need not, therefore, be stamped.
a) Candidates should be prepared to come for the Entrance Examinatio at their own expense at the place and time to be informed individually.
b) Admission to the above course is provisional, subject to the approval of the qualification of the Individual candidate by the respective Universities and the acceptance of the candidate for registration. Candidates who have not registered on the due date as specified above will not be admitted.
c) In the case of selected candidate, migration certificates should be produced if required for admission. Admission of such candidates is provisional, subject to the final approval fo their qualifications by the respective universities.
d) Intimation will be sent to the selected candidates in time before the commencement of the course and they should be prepared to join the course immedicatley on receiving the information of selection. They should registerer themslelve with University concerned through the Dean, presentitive all the original documents.
e) No request for transfer from one College to another will be considered at any time after admission.
f) The service candidate should produce the service certificate from the respective head of the department as required in the application form, failing which his/her application will be summarily rejected.
Details of Government Medical Colleges where P.G. Degree/Diploma Courses are conducted
Name of the Medical College College Code
Madras Medical College, Madras-3 1
Stanley Medical College, Madras-1 2
Madurai Medical College, Madurai-20 3
Thanjavur Medical College, Thanjavur 4
Kilpauk Medical College, Madras - 10 5
Triunelveli Medical College, Madras-10 7
Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore-14 8
Tamil Nadu Government Dental College, Madras 9
Various Courses in Medical faculties
Name of the course Code No.
M.Ch. (Neuro Surgery) 01
M.Ch. (Cardio-Thoracic Surgery) 02
M.Ch. (Plastic Surgery) 03
M.Ch. (Paediatric Surgery) 04
M.Ch. (Gastro-Enterology) 05
M.Ch. (Genito Urinary Surgery) 06
M.Ch. (Vascular Surgery) 07
M.Ch. (Neurology) 08
D.M. (Cadiology) 09
D.M. (Nephrology 10
D.M. (Gastro Enterology) 11
D.M. (Rheumatology) 12
M.S. (ENT) 13
M.S. (Opthalmology) 14
M.S. (Orthopaedics) 15
M.D. (Obst. & Gyane) 16
M.D. (Paediatrics) 17
M.D. (Anaesthesia) 18
M.D. (Psy. Medicine) 19
M.D. (Dermatology) 20
M.D. (Venterology) 21
M.D. (Radio-Diagnosis) 22
M.D. (Radio-Therapy) 23
M.D. (T.B. & Chest Diseases) 24
M.D.S. (Oral Pathology) 26
M.D.S. (Operative Surgery) 27
M.D.S. (Orthodontia) 28
M.D.S. (Oral Sugery) 29
M.D.S. (Prosthetic Dentistry) 30
M. (Oral Medicine & Radiology) 31
M. Pharmacy 32
M.D. (General Medicine) 33
M.D. (pathology) 34
M.D. (Microbiology) 35
M.D. (Pharmacology) 36
M.D. (Forensic Medicine) 37
M.D. (Physiology) 38
M.D. (Bio-Chemistry) 39
M.D. (S.P.M.) 40
M.S. (General Surgery) 41
M.S. (Anatomy) 42
D.C.P. (Dip in Clinical Path) 52
Dip. In Physical Medicine 56
Dip. in Leprosy 58
Dip in Diabetology 59