The following notes on the regulations concerning the submission for the Fellowship Assessment are published for the guidance of candidates:
1) A completed application form must be returned to the Examinations Officer not later than FOUR (4) CALENDAR MONTHS in advance of the proposed date of interview. Interviews will be held regularly throughout the year and the dates will be published.
2) The application form must be accompanied by:
FOUR (4) COPIES of the casebook. The casebook must conform to the regulations laid down by the College and should be presented in the binder provided by the College.
in the case of candidates in UK ophthalmic HST posts only, a copy of the applicant's third annual RITA form C or, in the case of candidates training in ophthalmology in overseas units, a letter from the head of department(s) in which they have worked certifying they have been employed on a full-time basis for a three year period since obtaining a Membership or Fellowship diploma
a copy of the FRCSGlas, FRCSEd, MRCSEd, or FRCSI diploma in the case of eligible candidates who are not Members or Fellows of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
N.B. The candidate should keep a further copy of the casebook for his/her own use.
3) Applications should not be delayed if the third annual RITA form C / supporting letters from head of department(s) is not available by the closing date for submission. Outstanding forms must be forwarded to the Examinations Officer not later than FOUR WEEKS before the interview.
4) Applications will be acknowledged and the proposed date of the interview will be intimated within four weeks of receipt of the submission.
5) At least four weeks before the date of the interview, the candidate will be informed whether the assessors have found the casebook to be of a sufficient standard to justify holding the interview.
6) FROM JANUARY 2003 - candidates who have the old style Fellowship will only have their fee waived if they are fully paid members. Otherwise candidates will have to pay the Fellowship Assessment fee of £370.00
7) PLEASE NOTE THAT DATES GET BOOKED VERY QUICKLY. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU SUBMIT YOUR CASEBOOKS IN ENOUGH TIME AND PRIOR TO YOUR SCHEDULED CCST DATE. THE EXAMINATIONS DEPARTMENT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LATE SUBMISSION AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ALLOCATE REQUESTED DATES. INTERVIEW DATES ARE ALLOCATED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS. IF YOU SUBMIT LATE YOU MAY RISK MISSING YOUR CCST DATE. CANDIDATES ARE ADVISED TO NOTIFY US OF DATES THAT THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR INTERVIEWS.
The fee will not be refunded if the candidate withdraws completely from the assessment. In exceptional circumstances, however, it may be possible to postpone the date of interview. If re-submission of the casebook is required, further fees will be payable of £175.00.
Submissions for the Fellowship Assessment should be addressed to:
The Examinations Officer
The Royal College of Ophthalmologists
17 Cornwall Terrace
London, NW1 4QW