the following is the syllabus for the dental TNPSC exam papers I and II..as on 15 th july 2004.
Code : 038
I. GENERAL ANATOMY INCLUDING ORAL ANATOMY AND HISTORY
1.Development of face, jaws, tongue salivary glands.
2.Development of teeth and surrounding structures.
3.Study or cranial nerves 5, 7, 9th with emphasis on extra cranial course.
4.Anatomy of TM joint, muscle of mastieation.
5.Microscopic anatomy of hard and soft tissue of teeth and associated structures oral Mucosa, lip and tongue.
6.Eruption and shedding of deciduous and permanent teeth.
7. Morphology of teeth.
8. Age changes in teeth and associated structures.
9. Fundamental of genetics and
10. Histology of Epithelium, muscle, periosteum, bone cartilage, Adipose tissue, Fibrous tissue, Elastic tissue, Iymph tissue, Blood, Blood vessels, Nerves lung, Kidney Spleen liver thymus panereas and Endocrine glands.
II. General Physiology Including Oral Physiology and Biochemistry
1. The cell and their components and functions
2. Physiology of pain
3. Blood: Composition,functions of rbc Development,formation and life span of RBC.Variations in number in physiological and pathological states. Chemistry of Hemoglobin. WBC type variation functions formation and circulation. Physiology of blood clotting. Saliva composition and functions proporties.
4. Blood pressure and factors affecting it physiology of shock.
5. Urine - Volume and mechanism of formation.
6. Digestion in the mouth,stomach and intestines.
7. Respiratory system Mechanics Anexia types Artificial Respiration.
8. Endocrine - Throid and parathyroid, Adrenal gland.
9. Physiological basis of Family Planning.
10.Physiology of Degtutition, Taste.
Bio - Chemistry
1. Regulation of Blood sugar.
2. Diabetic state.
3. Vitamins A D K B B1 AND C, E
4. Minerals Ca p Iron Fluorine.
III A. General Pathology
Inflammation Acute and Chronic Repair Haemorrhage, shock,embolism,gangrene Pathology of common diseases like tnherclosis. Leprosy, Syphilis and Common Viral infections including AIDS & Heparitis, Epidemic infections Hospital infections. Metabolic disorders: Rickets,Scurvy,Diabetic Melitus. Hyper sensitivity & allergy
III B. General Microbiology
1. Disinfection and sterilization
2. Normal oral flora
3. Humeral and Cellular immunity a Microbiolgy of dental caries
4. Microbiology of Periodental disease
5. General Properties of fungi.
6. Special reference to candida.
7. General properties of virus
8. Virusus of Mico cutaneous origin.
9. Special reference to Herpas.
IV General Pharmaeology including Dental Materia Medica
1. general Pharmaeological Principles.
2. Drug reaction.
3. General and Local anaesthetics.
4. Histamins and antihistamines.
5. coagulants and anti coagulants.
6. antiseptics astringent obtundents.Dentifrics, Mouth washes and disclosing agents.
V General Medicine
1 .Definition of diagnesis, Prognosis, History.
2 .Taking and physical examination of a medical case. Medical emergencies in dental practice.
3. Stomattis, glossitis, gastritis Diarrhoe.
4. Amoebiasis Ascitos, malabsorption syndromo.
5. Jaundice, viral hepatitis, Cirrhosis liver.
6. Gangestive heart failure, left Ventricular failure
7. Hypertension Lung-Ancess, Pulmonary Empolism, Tuberculosis,
8. Respiratory failure.
9. Ausemia, Coaculation defects, Bleeding disorders Agranulocyloril.
11. Metabolic Disorders.
VI General Surgery
1. Treatment infections Acute and Chromic, Abcess Carbuncle Sinus
2. Fistula, Ulcaeration Gangrene, Cellulitis, Eryspeias, Canerum Oris,
3. Wounds Complications Treatment-Cysts and new growth of oral cavity
4. Tracheostomy, Trigeminal Neuraligia Principles of Surgical treatment.
5. Fracture principles of treatment.
A.ORAL MEDICINE, ORAL PATHOLOGY, ORAL SURGERY AND DENTAL RADIOLOGY
1.Common diseases of teeth and para oral tissue.
2.Salient aspects of dental and ora f acial infections.
3.Systemic Diseases in relation of dentistry
4.Common Hyperplasttic, Neoplastic, Cystic and pre cancerous lesions of the oral and para oral regions and their management.
5.Common antibioties, analgesics, antiinflammatory, and anaesthetic agents used in dentistry.
6.Emergencies in dental practice.
7.Differential diagnosis of ora-facial pain (common lesions only)
8.Extraction of teeth and related problems.
9.Important aspects of trauma of teeth, fracture of jaws and facial skeleton.
B. PERIODONTEA, COMMUNITY AND PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY
1. Salient aspects of periodontal Disease and its management.
2. Prevention of dental and oral diseases.
3. Community dentistry and epidemiological aspect of dental diseases.
4. Common oral problem of the elderly.
C.CONSERVATIVE DENTISTRY, ENDODONTICS, AND PROSTHETIC DENTISTRY
1.Rationale of conservative procedure and update of restorative materials.
2.Principles in endodontic procedure.
3.Salient aspects of the principles and technique of
4.Construction of various type of dentures and (Removable and fixed) and allied prosthesis including update of materials.
D.ORTHODONTIA AND PAEDODONTIA
1.Salient aspects of malocclusion and general principles involved in orthodontic treatment.
2.Common oral problems in children and their management.