RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features


RxPG :: View topic - General queries about USMLE  
 Page 18 of 22 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Author Message

mleresidencytips


vishwarockz wrote:
hello sir !! currently am studng.. md emergency medicne.. am frm a.p... after my pg i want todo my fellowship in critical care.. and wanna settle n u.s... can you plz tell me my futre prospectzz ???????
if you want to settle in US

get residency --> H1 visa --> apply for green card --> settle in US
or
get residency via J1 visa --> seek waiver job --> apply for green card and settle in US.
if you want to do fellowship in critical care, you need to do your internship and residency in internal medicine and then apply for PCCM fellowship (pulmonary-critical care)

UNANSWERED: Usmle material step1brand new selling in hyderabad

shaktisimha
Aim MRCP Part 1

mleresidencytips wrote:
shaktisimha wrote:
@mleresidencytips-thanks very much sir.just now had access to the forum because I was on travel.
I am following your advice sir,I will study when ever I get time in first year of my PG here and vl take the exam in second year.
Is it ok if I follow Kaplan 2011 notes and the lectures alone or extra reading is needed?
And sir, you mean,I cannot do a fellowship in,e.g. Surgical oncology after doing surgery in India?I don't want to settle in the USA sir,I need the training and fellowship only, am content working here sir.
Is it possible sir, or should I join for surgery residency itself in USA to get the fellowships..? thanks sir.

That is a very omportant point, if you want to return back to and dont want to practice in US, then it will be easier. You may find a fellowship on J1 visa but as far as I know yo still have to be ECFMG certified. according to Society for surgical oncologists - FMG documentation: Upload scanned documents showing you have completed medical school and are in a residency program (e.g., diploma and letter from Program Director). but they dont specify if it has to be a residency in US or not.


thankyou very much sir.will approach you when i need more guidance.


dcooldoc1


hello sir.. m a surgery resident and m interested in fellowship in transplantation. sir i have few doubts.. 1. does my scores in mle really matters ?
2. do i hve to repeat my surgery residency again in us or can i directly get into fellowship based on my three year experience in india
3. i have no intention of settling in us .. m only interested in transplantation training as there is no such fellowship program or degree in india
4. are we paid or given ny kind of stipend during our training period.


mleresidencytips


dcooldoc1 wrote:
hello sir.. m a surgery resident and m interested in fellowship in transplantation. sir i have few doubts.. 1. does my scores in mle really matters ?
2. do i hve to repeat my surgery residency again in us or can i directly get into fellowship based on my three year experience in india
3. i have no intention of settling in us .. m only interested in transplantation training as there is no such fellowship program or degree in india
4. are we paid or given ny kind of stipend during our training period.


1. score in USMLE are the most important factor especially for foerign medical grads. There is no other way for institutions to compare applicants other than use standardized test scores.
Only RxPG members can see links here! Register or Login!

2. if you intend to continue practicing in US then best option is to repeat surgical residency in US. There are very few options for direct fellowship in surgery for those who do not do residency. Most ACGME accredited organizations require 1 to 4 years of PG training in US. Some non accredited fellowships exist but do those only if you don't plan to practice in US.
3. point 3, very important. if you have no intention of settling in US, then things are a little better for you chance wise. Look up on American College of surgeons fellowship page to seek the places and requirements for fellowship. most likely will involve you getting in touch with individual hospitals and seeing if they will take a fellow for training. surgical fellowships are just as tough because you will be competing with American grads for so few seats. you will need to apply for individual state license for which you have to be ECFMG certified, for which you need USMLE 1, 2CS, CK and step 3 done.
4. if you are accepted as a fellow you will be paid anywhere from 42,000 to 55,000 $ a year (rough ball park) which is decent pay.


nikstriker
Aim DNB Part 1

after doing dnb anaesthesia/medicine from india,m i eligible fr super pg in usa...does dnb degree help in getting residency plz help friends...thank u


nikstriker
Aim DNB Part 1

plz help sir


mleresidencytips


nikstriker wrote:
after doing dnb anaesthesia/medicine from india,m i eligible fr super pg in usa...does dnb degree help in getting residency plz help friends...thank u
No post graduate indian degree (MD, Diploma, DNB) etc will help you get a residency in US directly. They will all be counted as non-US clinical experience and as long as you are involved in clinical practice, you have a decent chance. Gaps in CV (where you are not practicing medicine) are not favorable. PG in US is actually residency, do you mean fellowship? both require you be ECFMG certified which means step 1, 2cs and ck completed. additional factors can affect requirement for step 3.


nikstriker
Aim DNB Part 1

wat about fellowship sir...i mean aftr doing fellowship ..will i be able to practice medicine in us...thanku fr ur kind reply


sapnaroshan
Aim MRCOG Part 1

old img
hello sir,
i am new to this forum,i have finished my MD obg in 2012.
my husband has got a job in US.planning to settle down dre.will i be able to get residency in obg since i am an old img? yet to give my steps. icon_sad.gif .
i have no gaps till now. icon_biggrin.gif


sam_425
Aim NEET-PG 2012

HI ADVICE NEEDED
i completed my mbbs in 2010.After that i worked for 2 yrs.Now thought of settling in the usa as my bro has settled there.I intend to prepare for usmle from now on.When should i apply for observorship.Iam even rerady to apply for paid observorship.Some of my friends who are doing residency there are telling me that my chances of calling to the interview somewhere when i apply in 2014 august(after i give steps and complete observership) might b difficult even if i get high scores above 98.Kindly advice me with ur experience dear brothers.
Should i go to usa for kaplan live coaching on f1 visa.is it addirtionally beneficial as some of my friends who wrote step 1 that immunology qs were difficult to ans.So i intend to benefit from the best live classes where i can intercat with the professors.Money is not a constrain.
If i secure a good score and not called for interview can i apply for residency in australia or canada with that usmle score.
Please state ur opinions people who are well versed in this field sorry for my long quieries.


aakash2658337
Aim NEET PG

i may get admission in md microbiology, i want further phd study in usa?? is usmle is necessory??


mleresidencytips


nikstriker wrote:
wat about fellowship sir...i mean aftr doing fellowship ..will i be able to practice medicine in us...thanku fr ur kind reply
if you find a fellowhip on J1 visa, you can practice medicine in US for 7 years after which you have to return to home country for 2 years at least unless you find a waiver job in between, in which case you can convert from J1 to GC.


mleresidencytips


Re: old img
sapnaroshan wrote:
hello sir,
i am new to this forum,i have finished my MD obg in 2012.
my husband has got a job in US.planning to settle down dre.will i be able to get residency in obg since i am an old img? yet to give my steps. icon_sad.gif .
i have no gaps till now. icon_biggrin.gif
being an Old IMG in itself is not the dead end. since you have no gaps that is good. focus on getting 250+ score on step 1 and 2 CK and passing CS. That will increase you chances a lot. also find places where you can do some observership in US and make connections. That will go a long way to help boost your chances of a residency.


mleresidencytips


aakash2658337 wrote:
i may get admission in md microbiology, i want further phd study in usa?? is usmle is necessory??
if you want to pursue PhD in USA, then USMLE is not at all necessary. you have to prepare for GRE and TOEFL and apply to graduate school. if you are looking for PhD as an alternative to get back to a residency then read this article
Only RxPG members can see links here! Register or Login!
. if you are happy doing non clinical stuff and continuing with research then you can finish you PhD and apply for a job as a researcher or in industry. both are good options.


tcritic
Aim USMLE Step 1

@mleresidencytips

I m thinking about doing pg dermatology in India & then giving steps But as they say Dermat residency is almost impossible to get I will try for Internal Med residency
How much would my clinical experience in Dermat in India matter at the time of interview when I am trying for IM residency in US ?? Would I b considered as old IMG ??
I want to settle in NY area permanently I am willing to do PG dermat in India as a back up plan
Also what about that new rule by health minister I m MBBS from deemed university Some say that rule doesnt apply to deemed students Is it true ??
Please Reply


Teejay0992
Aim NEET-SS

Can i pursue superspeciality in indian govt. clge, after doing residency in usa(internal medicine)???


mleresidencytips


tcritic wrote:
@mleresidencytips
I m thinking about doing pg dermatology in India & then giving steps But as they say Dermat residency is almost impossible to get I will try for Internal Med residency
How much would my clinical experience in Dermat in India matter at the time of interview when I am trying for IM residency in US ?? Would I b considered as old IMG ??
I want to settle in NY area permanently I am willing to do PG dermat in India as a back up plan
Also what about that new rule by health minister I m MBBS from deemed university Some say that rule doesnt apply to deemed students Is it true ??
Please Reply

it wont matter much and will be considered only as continuing medical education in home country. It will not help you secure any interviews specifically. As for the rule by the health minister, better confirm it with your batch mates.


chelsi
Aim USMLE Step 1

@mlerecidencytips: sir u hv been a great help fr all of us preparing fr mle.thanx fr that. i hv joined diploma gyne in delhi this year and simultaneously preparing fr mle.....whn shud i register fr my step 1 if i plan to gv my exam in nov-dec-jan slot.......i ws planning to register wn m done with atleast my 1st read of all the subjects......will it be fyn? plus rt nw dollar is very costly compared to indian currency,so till wn shud i register?


mleresidencytips


chelsi wrote:
@mlerecidencytips: sir u hv been a great help fr all of us preparing fr mle.thanx fr that. i hv joined diploma gyne in delhi this year and simultaneously preparing fr mle.....whn shud i register fr my step 1 if i plan to gv my exam in nov-dec-jan slot.......i ws planning to register wn m done with atleast my 1st read of all the subjects......will it be fyn? plus rt nw dollar is very costly compared to indian currency,so till wn shud i register?

1. congrats on joining diplome in Gyn
2. choosing dates for exam depend on several factors - your confidence, your preparedness, center availability, match cycle date etc.
3. You can technically register early and secure the 3 month slot of Nov-Jan. Find out how busy the prometric centers are in India and gauge your wait time from that.
4. Dollar-Rupee conversion is a good point to consider but can go up at later date as well so it is very unpredictable, do not base your decision on that unless finances are really tight.


amitwa
Aim PLAB Jobs

hello mleresidencytips

i have passed step 1 and 2 with score of 213 in both steps last year...but i failed cs...i didnt appear for cs again...

i am 2004 graduate ...and i have no clinical experience in usa...

how should i approach now....what r my chances to get matched next year.and in which branch do i have chances....although i am interested in medicine.....

thanks


chelsi
Aim USMLE Step 1

@mleresidencytips: thanx sir fr ur opinion....one mre query,i'll complete my diploma in the begining of july year 2014,and thn i plan to go fr sm US clinical experience bfr applying fr match.......will i be able to apply fr septmber 2014 match?
if i apply fr match in march 2015,will i be considered an old graduate as i completed my internship on 31st dec 2010........


huma77
Aim USMLE Step 1

Well,just want to add UK has plenty of jobs.Its not shut down for any dr.Try ur luck.


estella
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi mleresidencytips,

You seem to be of really great help for aspiring imgs like us.a hearty thanks for doing such a good job.
i happen to have passed my M.D.in pediatrics in 2011( passed MBBS in 2007 icon_sad.gif ( a supposedly old graduate). i am now preparing for mle and plan to give step 1 and 2 in the next six months,as i have already lost a lot of time -want to ask
whether it is mandatory to apply in september itself or could be extended to feb 2013 ( NRMP match closes in feb 20 2013 according to the site),besides, is a late application going to hamper my chances of getting into a good residency in pediatrics
lastly should i also give step 3 simultaneosly,would that increase my chance of gettina residency in 2013 match


docshayan
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

job prosect in usmle
hello sir
i have just completed mine internship in june 2012 and now i have started preparing for usmle step 1 , i m reading kaplan notes and lec videos along with it
i am interested in getting residency in surgery in us and settle dere
how much percentile they will be requiring for that
how tough is the competition for imgs in surgery residency
what is the basic stipend (approx) out there
thankx in advance


mleresidencytips


Re: job prosect in usmle
docshayan wrote:
hello sir
i have just completed mine internship in june 2012 and now i have started preparing for usmle step 1 , i m reading kaplan notes and lec videos along with it i am interested in getting residency in surgery in us and settle dere
how much percentile they will be requiring for that
how tough is the competition for imgs in surgery residency
what is the basic stipend (approx) out there
thankx in advance


for any specialty for an IMG getting more than 240 in both steps is imperative as it enhances the chances of getting an interview. average scores around 210-220 hurt you because program will not process your application as frequently as someone with stellar scores. surgery for an IMG is tougher than medicine. to compare for yourself read
Only RxPG members can see links here! Register or Login!
especially figure three of the article. stipend is anywhere from 40,000 to 50,000 dollars per year.


docshayan
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

cost
hello sir can you tell me what will be the total cost involved in completing all steps approx and how far imgs r preffered there presently


mleresidencytips


estella wrote:
hi mleresidencytips,
You seem to be of really great help for aspiring imgs like us.a hearty thanks for doing such a good job.

i happen to have passed my M.D.in pediatrics in 2011( passed MBBS in 2007 icon_sad.gif ( a supposedly old graduate). i am now preparing for mle and plan to give step 1 and 2 in the next six months,as i have already lost a lot of time -want to ask

whether it is mandatory to apply in september itself or could be extended to feb 2013 ( NRMP match closes in feb 20 2013 according to the site),besides, is a late application going to hamper my chances of getting into a good residency in pediatricslastly should i also give step 3 simultaneosly,would that increase my chance of gettina residency in 2013 match


in order to get the best chance of getting the most interviews it is imperative to be ready with a complete application September 15th. Programs start downloading your application packets starting sept. 15th and the interviews are extended to applicants on first come basis. Thus if you are few days late then you will be that much more lower on the list because the earlier applicants would have been sent invitations already


spikydoc
Aim Maharashtra PG

Hello Friends, I have few queries about USMLE, I want to do residency in US, but the problem is that i have completed half of my internship , no clerkship/observership,no researchs,no contribution to any journal,not even started preparing for Step 1 ( because of lack of knowledge and guidelines) .So can i start it right now? How do i ll get LORs as i have no clerkship/observership completion certificate ? Present VISA bond?
PLease Help.Thanks in Advance
Udit


mleresidencytips


spikydoc wrote:
Hello Friends, I have few queries about USMLE, I want to do residency in US, but the problem is that i have completed half of my internship , no clerkship/observership,no researchs,no contribution to any journal,not even started preparing for Step 1 ( because of lack of knowledge and guidelines) .So can i start it right now? How do i ll get LORs as i have no clerkship/observership completion certificate ? Present VISA bond?
PLease Help.Thanks in Advance
Udit

1. you are a little late but at least you know what you want to do
2. start grinding your gears and study study study, your goal is to Ace the steps and then some more.
3. since you wont have any USCE opportunity or US LORs (which is not ideal but will do), all you can do is make yourself stand out through scores.
4. aim for 250+ in all steps and you will get interviews even with out the observership, clerkship or research experience.
5. you can certainly start right now and be ready for 2014 match.
6. you will have to get done with steps 1, step 2 CS and step 2 CK and be ECFMG certified before September 15th, 2013
7. Issue with the bond may be better discussed with your colleagues who are going through the same.


mleresidencytips


chelsi wrote:
@mleresidencytips: thanx sir fr ur opinion....one mre query,i'll complete my diploma in the begining of july year 2014,and thn i plan to go fr sm US clinical experience bfr applying fr match.......will i be able to apply fr septmber 2014 match?
if i apply fr match in march 2015,will i be considered an old graduate as i completed my internship on 31st dec 2010........

if you finished your internship in 2010, you must have gotten the degree in 2011? use the date on the degree cert as year of graduation. even then 5 years out is usually the upper limit of acceptable graduation date for an applicant. Old grad would be 7 or 8 years out. you are still ok.


mleresidencytips


Re: cost
docshayan wrote:
hello sir can you tell me what will be the total cost involved in completing all steps approx and how far imgs r preffered there presently


This has actually been discussed a few times before, you can use the search function and go through the older posts. Thanks


spikydoc
Aim Maharashtra PG

Thanks A Ton , Sir.
Thanks a ton Sir, your post brought me from haphazard state to some stable condition.Thanks for your tips, i ll start working hard ASAP.


charudatta11
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi sir ,
i am a medical graduate from india,i have completed my internship this year in march and also received my internship completion certificate from my university,
i will recieve my degree in may 2013, so can i apply for electives am i eligible since i have not received my degree yet ? i want to apply for electives for usce..pls help me out with this problem..thanx


charudatta11
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi sir ,
i am a medical graduate from india,i have completed my internship this year in march and also received my internship completion certificate from my university,
i will recieve my degree in may 2013, so can i apply for electives am i eligible since i have not received my degree yet ? i want to apply for electives for usce..pls help me out with this problem..thanx


ganesham
Aim UK Exams

hello sir,
i have completed my pg in anaesthesia from india in june 2012 and willing to do fellowship in critical care medicine from US and come back to india. Stanford university and other institute conduct such courses.

1) So, am i eligible to apply for CCM fellowship program. I have asked them and they said you should be ECFMG and california board certified. So does that mean after clearing mle am i able to apply for it.

2) what are chances of getting in fellowship program

3) what scores i need to score for this and what would be my fate if i am not able to score the desired scores.

4) what type of paper work shoud i have for that i.e whether it should be in anaesthesiology or critical care and should be published in indian or american journal.

5) will my reccomendation from indian HOD will work as LOR since they need atleast three LOR

6) will i be paid during training period as they have not mentioned anything about stipend on there site.

7) finally, i am willing to come back to india but is there any possiblity of getting job there as a intensivist after completing the course.

thanx in advance


mleresidencytips


charudatta11 wrote:
hi sir , i am a medical graduate from india,i have completed my internship this year in march and also received my internship completion certificate from my university, i will recieve my degree in may 2013, so can i apply for electives am i eligible since i have not received my degree yet ? i want to apply for electives for usce..pls help me out with this problem..thanx

Hi Dr. Charu, I think I did answer this question either here on another thread or some place else.. let me know. Briefly, if you are done with medical school and finished internship, you are not eligible for away rotations or externships. You may want to state your case to the hospitals and see if they will still allow for some electives that you may do.


mleresidencytips


ganesham wrote:
hello sir, i have completed my pg in anaesthesia from india in june 2012 and willing to do fellowship in critical care medicine from US and come back to india. Stanford university and other institute conduct such courses.


1) So, am i eligible to apply for CCM fellowship program. I have asked them and they said you should be ECFMG and california board certified. So does that mean after clearing mle am i able to apply for it.

ECFMG certification requires passing step 1, 2 ck and cs. State medical board certification also requires passing step 3. California medical board requires PTAL in addition to all above.

2) what are chances of getting in fellowship program

chances depend on individual programs but usually fellowship without residency is a tougher because you have not done post graduate medical training in an ACGME accredited program (most residency programs in US are ACGME accredited). However, there are few places which allow for direct fellowship application - AND must be willing to sponsor visa applicant.

3) what scores i need to score for this and what would be my fate if i am not able to score the desired scores.

scores are very important, there is no common platform of comparison between US medical education and others. Hence programs and faculty use USMLE scores as a surrogate for medical knowledge. It is not ideal but it is at least common to all applicants. if you are wanting to do fellowship in high profile places, you need scores of 245+ in step 1 and 2 and all exams to be cleared in first attempt

4) what type of paper work shoud i have for that i.e whether it should be in anaesthesiology or critical care and should be published in indian or american journal.

i dont understand this question, are you asking if research and publications in indian versus US journals will affect your chances of being accepted to programs?

5) will my reccomendation from indian HOD will work as LOR since they need atleast three LOR

yes it will work. especially if you are applying for fellowships directly. you are not expected to have US LOR from faculty in programs here as you did your training in India and are not seeking special training in US

6) will i be paid during training period as they have not mentioned anything about stipend on there site.

as a fellow you will be paid. it will be a salary, anywhere from 45,000 to 60,0000 per year depending on program and/or state. You can look it up in the GME (graduate medical education) section of the institutions website

7) finally, i am willing to come back to india but is there any possiblity of getting job there as a intensivist after completing the course.
No, you cannot get a job there as intensivist because you did not get your post grad education at an US institution. you wont be eligible for an full unrestricted state license and subsequently, cannot practice. The only visa you will be eligible for, for direct fellowship will be J1 in which case you have to return to your home country after training


apr4488
Aim General

im doing my M.D in general medicine now...i wanted to do usmle for fellowship after my pg in india but i heard its not possible to do a fellowship directly after ur usmle without residency in the us...is this true...even with the usmle is it not possible to apply for a fellowship without a us residency???


nikstriker
Aim DNB Part 1

sir i got flunked in step 1 with 74 percentile... is it gud to give the step 1 exam again...if i gt good percentile this time will it b ok or faild once would affect my chances of matching residency.....




PLZ ENLIGHTEN ME!!!


mleresidencytips


apr4488 wrote:
im doing my M.D in general medicine now...i wanted to do usmle for fellowship after my pg in india but i heard its not possible to do a fellowship directly after ur usmle without residency in the us...is this true...even with the usmle is it not possible to apply for a fellowship without a us residency???
There are very few fellowships which are still available for folks without doing residency in US. The requirement for all these is that you HAVE to be ECFMG certified.

It will take a lot of searching and corresponding with the programs to get such. You will not be allowed to practice in US after that as your wont be eligible to US medical state licence and you will have to made arrangement for J1 visa via ECFMG.


mleresidencytips


nikstriker wrote:
sir i got flunked in step 1 with 74 percentile... is it gud to give the step 1 exam again...if i gt good percentile this time will it b ok or faild once would affect my chances of matching residency.....PLZ ENLIGHTEN ME!!!

If doing residency in US is your goal then you have no other option but to give USMLE step 1 again and attempt to score very well. failing the exam does affect your chances but if you recover then it will be not as bad.


nikstriker
Aim DNB Part 1

thanks a lott sir fr ur kind reply..!! icon_smile.gif


mleresidencytips


nikstriker wrote:
thanks a lott sir fr ur kind reply..!! icon_smile.gif
good luck! study hard and try to get a score of 245+ in both step 1 and 2. You can be in a position to explain your one attempt in your PS and the programs may give you a by if your subsequent tries are spectacular.


apr4488
Aim General

I heard there are some non-board certified fellowships that u can do...which are about a year...do these need ECFMG certification too?


puskardoc
Aim USMLE Step 1

I have finished MCh Urology in 2011, are there any chances of getting fellowship in Urology in US. what will be the probable scores required in MLE.


mleresidencytips


apr4488 wrote:
I heard there are some non-board certified fellowships that u can do...which are about a year...do these need ECFMG certification too?

1. Board certified and non-board certified clinical fellowships require direct patient care and clinical interaction with patients
2. You need to have a state medical license (provisional in your case, since you wont be eligible for permanent medical license) to practice any medicine in the hospital.
3. as far as I know all states require the international medical graduate to have passed USMLE exams to be eligible for the temporary institutional license.
4. check out FSMB.org for details of state licensing
5. Non board certified fellowships are institution specific and do last for a year.
6. If you are looking for research fellowships [1 or 2 years] you do not need to be ECFMG certified


Pinx
Aim NEET PG

Hi..I have finished my MBBS in 2009 and if I want to give USMLe now, can i give it? Is there any rule that there shouldn't be any gap in btwn?


mahendrakmt
Aim AIPGE 2015

BYE BYE USMLE now
Govt makes it harder for doctors to stay on in US


Kounteya Sinha, TNN | Sep 10, 2012, 05.36AM IST
Article
Comments (623)



In a bid to tackle brain drain in the medical profession, the government, for the first time, is drawing up guidelines for medical students going to the US for studies.

NEW DELHI: In a bid to prevent medical students who go to the US for higher studies from settling down there, the health ministry has suspended issuing 'no obligation to return' certificates that allow them to do so.

In the past three years, 3,000 medical students have gone abroad and stayed there. India has one doctor per 2,000 people; the US has one for 469.

The 'no obligation to return to India' (NORI) certificate is mandatory for Indian doctors who have completed up to nine years of medical education to settle in the US. Ironically, before they head there, the US requires the health ministry (of all developing countries) to issue a "statement of need" certificate, stating "the student is being allowed to go and study medicine in the US because he is required to return and serve India".

Joint secretary in the health ministry S K Rao said only 30% of those who go to the US return to work. "This year, we haven't issued a single NORI certificate," he said.

Guidelines for medical study abroad by 2013

In a bid to tackle brain drain in the medical profession, the government, for the first time, is drawing up guidelines for medical students going to the US for studies. The guidelines, expected by January 2013, will also apply to students who have gone to the US this year.

"We have sent the guidelines to the law ministry for their comments. It will specify the conditions for medical students to leave India and go to the US for higher education," joint secretary in the health ministry S K Rao said. "We have no problem with students going to the US to study. But the US wants us to first issue a certificate saying we are allowing the student to go and study there because he or she is needed in India and then issue another mandatory certificate nine years later saying he isn't needed in India so that he can settled down there," added Rao, who handles international health.

To bring more doctors into the workforce, the Cabinet recently cleared the National Council of Human Resources in Health Bill that allows doctors who hold the Overseas Citizens of India card to work in India. The bill also allows NRI doctors to return to India and join medical colleges as faculty. India has a density of 0.5 doctors per 1,000 people. The Medical Council of India intends to reduce the gap to one doctor for 1,000 population by 2031. The Planning Commission says the country is short of 6 lakh doctors, 10 lakh nurses and 2 lakh dental surgeons.


timedoc
Aim USMLE Step 1

I am surprised there is only one post about Govt's new bond for medicos going to USA after MBBS.

Does it apply to everyone or just Govt. college graduates who got subsidized education?I don't see how Govt. can justify it for private college graduates.Even for Govt college graduates, I feel it is incredibly unfair.

P.S Hitler stopped jews from migrating from Germany and East Germany(which later dissolved as a country) also prevented emigration of its people (Remember Berlin wall ?).
Something for our lawmakers to chew on...


nikstriker
Aim DNB Part 1

having a MPH degree in usa makes it easier to get residency...plz help sir

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 18 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  
 

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> General queries about USMLE
 

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 16 years
1,574 active members | 4,601 posts

Topic ID #55698
Started 14 years ago
104 community credits
391 contributors
1,095 posts | 477,418 views
Thread index Print thread Feed


Advertisements
Server Status: 135 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 1.713 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials


About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook