RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - Does Meditation Help in Study?  
 Page 1 of 1

spatil
Aim NEET PG

FAQ: Does Meditation Help in Study?
The tension of pg cet is more than any other exam in my life. will meditation improve my concentration & determination in studies . rply if know anything about it.

UNANSWERED: Topics division/frequency in final mbbs question papers?

shimmeringstarr21
Aim NEET PG

yes,my opinion is that meditation helps a lot.it has a calming effect and it enhances concentration.... i think doing yoga is a great idea too.
it may seem a little uncool n boring,but i think it works wonders...

maneater

yeah it would certainly help u immensly. Practice pranayama it will go long way in improving concentration and overall piece of mind. I follow certain study techniques which help me a lot , u may try them.....

1. Study in Short, Frequent Sessions.

It has been proven that short bursts of concentration repeated frequently are much more effective than one long session. So, even if you only have 10 minutes, DO IT. Take a break. Then study another 10 minutes. This “distributed learning” approach is highly efficient because it honors the way the brain likes to work. The brain needs recovery and recharging time. The rest periods are when your brain assimilates your effort. To sit and study for hours and hours is not only boring, it creates fatigue, stress, and distraction. u cannot learn if you are fatigued, stressed, and distracted!

2. Take Guilt-Free Days of Rest.

This follows the same principle as above, but on a longer, daily time cycle. The reason for resting is to refresh oneself. However, if you feel guilty (“I really should be studying”) then your precious rest period has been used to create more stress. The brain will not absorb new data if it is stressed. On days off from studying, really enjoy urself and do not feel bad about not studying.

3 Honor Your Emotional State.

Do not study if you are tired, angry, distracted, or in a hurry. When the brain is relaxed, it is like a sponge and it naturally absorbs data without effort. If you are emotionally stressed, your brain literally repels data. Forcing yourself to sit and study when your mind is on other things is a complete waste of time!

4 Review the Same Day.

When you learn something new, try to go over the points the same day. If you wait a few days and then make efforts to review the material, it will seem much less familiar. However, a quick review later in the day will tend to cement the information into your brain so that the next “official” study session, you will recognize it and it will seem easy. I know its boring, i hate to revise everything i read iin day later in the evening.... but when i really gave it a trial results were wonderful. just jott down important heading and try remembering all that u read related to that topic.

5 Observe the Natural Learning Sequence.

When you study, if you try first to grasp the big picture and then fill in the details, you often have a more likely chance of success. if u look back how u r school studies were designed u would get the whole idea. in the lower classes we were taught crude concepts and as the classes progressed lessons got more sophisticated... so its very essential to get a rough idea of topic ur going to read beforehand... here the role of lectures, clinical posting and clinics come into play... u get basic idea of what exactly ur going to read once u get back home.... dont go for the books which load u with information... too much of informations is often uneccesarry and creates more confusion and chaos... concentrate on basics get the bigger picture then u can go on to augment ur memory with details... what examiners look in exam is ur knowledge of basic principles of any subject. Therefore always go for books which are well illustrated and stress more on concepts rather than details. so if u want to study physiology first read guyton then go on to other books like Sembulingam which sums up everything for u with additional details.

6 Use Exaggeration.

Why does a batsman warm up by swinging his arms freely in all direction before walking on to the pitch? does he really sway his bat like he did while warming up while facing a delivery?

exaggeration during practice makes the final result seem easy. This concept can be applied to studying anything. For example, if you are studying spelling, exaggerate the sound of the letters to help to remember them. So for studying purposes, “naive” would be pronounced “NAY-IVY.” By getting used to this exaggerated pronunciation, the correct spelling seems obvious.
play with new word and concepts u come across, twist them, make fun of them... that would make them easier to fit n ur memory

7 Prepare Your Study Environment.

If you require certain elements in your environment to help you study, try to always make these a priority. For example, do you need special lighting, silence, music, privacy, available snacks, etc.? Pay attention to what works for you and repeat it each time you study for best success.

8 Respect “Brain Fade.”

It is normal for the brain to have an attrition rate and to forget things. This does not mean that u r stupid! Instead of getting mad about this fact, u should expect it and deal with it accordingly. See ur brain as depositing layers of knowledge. As u place more information on top, the lower levels become older and less available to your immediate recall. The trick here is simply to review. Since we can anticipate the eventual fading of our memory, creating a review aspect to our study session will solve the problem. Once every two or three study sessions, simply review older material that you will be still needing to remember. Often, a quick overview is sufficient. Sometimes, a complete detailed study session of the older material is required. “Brain fade” is completely normal. (Unless you are gifted with a photographic memory, which is extremely rare.)

9 Create a Study Routine.

Generally, if u schedule certain times of the day to study, you will get into a routine and accomplish more. If you just “fit it in” during ur day, chances r that there will never be any time. An effective way to do this is to literally mark it down in your datebook calendar as if you have an appointment, like going to the doctor. For example: “Tuesday 3-4:30 P.M. — Study.”

10 Set Reasonable Goals.

One of the main reasons people do not reach their goals is because they set them too high. If u set goals that are manageable, even if they seem too simple, u get in the habit of accomplishing them and gradually you can set higher goals. Also, recognize the difference between long-term and short-term goals. Set ur vision on the long-term dream, but your day-to-day activity should be focused exclusively on the short-term, enabling steps.

11 Avoid the Frustration Enemy.

Ironically, the quicker the person’s nervous system, the faster they learn. Yet, this fast nervous system also works overtime in being self-critical. So they are the ones who always think they aren’t going fast enough! In contrast, the “Type B,” less intense person who learns slower yet is more self-accepting, ends up ultimately learning the material in a shorter period of time. This is because he/she doesn’t waste energy blocking, getting upset, and thinking that they’re not good enough — they simply keep moving forward at a slower (but un-blocked) pace.

shimmeringstarr21
Aim NEET PG

wow thats really cool!i'm sure these techniques are really effective,they sound so practical!

wagingwarlord
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

OM
Great goin guys meditation and yogic trances send me down the memory lane where bfore joinin MBBS i was a yoga instructor and ppl used to come home...whew nostalgia seeping and extravasating from my memory center!!! icon_biggrin.gif Peace out & Aum sweet Aum!!!!

shimmeringstarr21
Aim NEET PG

hi wagingwarlord!if you were a yoga instructor,maybe you could give us some advice on yoga and meditation to improve memory and concentration...waiting to hear more about this.

anonymous

hmmmmmmmmm.......... thatz very tough............ isnt there any magical potion sanju? icon_sad.gif

so why did u chuck waging? i used to practice pranayama till my first yr... but dunno why i just quit the habbit.. yoga is indeed very tough.

wagingwarlord
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

Well basically shardul......"Tough" aint the word apt in the context u were speaking about!!!Its actually patience and perseverence which is required..Though i sound very bookish and icon_cool.gif (Mahaanish)...Wil tel u what.....I was 88 kilos when i wrote my medical entrance examination...Then took up this training in which my polyphagia(magnanimous appetite) has never been affected or altered for about 3mnths and u guys wont believe i lost 15 kilos(AINT A JOKE AT ALL!!!)...and yoga aint tough its just that u need to take some time out of ur daily routine(15-20 min is really good!!!) and u will really reap awesome results...Well taking pranayama into the picture like about jus closing ur eyes and keepin a good watch over ur breathing with ur mind's eyes for 10 min will truly refresh ur vision and thought processing for sure...regarding yoga there are sets of really good exercises called "SURYANAMASKARAS" which all u guys might have heard of...Jus about once or twice every day which wil take 15 min...That means those "ASANAS" in that process are to be done with perfect breath regulations preferrably early morning will make ur Day,Weight and Life near to perfection..This is a Guarentee from me....But gotta do them sincierely and everyday!!!!Peace out world!!!

allergic2morons
Aim NEET PG

OMG sanju, now i know ur kamayabi ka raaz

spatil
Aim NEET PG

Anyone know about rajyoga meditation.

bhavanisaravanan
Aim Tamilnadu PG

thank u so much.i think it will really help me a lot to improve my studies.

from 2 morrow i will try 2 manage my works/

thank u once again

parin

meditation...
hi,

yes, meditation does helps a lot in your examinations, especially during tense years such as IIIrd MBBS.

With my experiences, I can assure you that minimum 20 minutes of meditation a day routinely & at least 10 during exams will be miraculous to your results.

I've got excellent marks in all exams during my MBBS carrier with much less reading as compared to others. I definitely say that this is the contribution of meditation.

It is not important how you meditate, but that you do try to meditate & learn from wahatever source available. Just like 'sabhi raste ak hi bhagvan ke pas jate hai', same in 'sabhi tarikon se ak hi tarah ka meditation hota hai'. You may meditate(be 'nirvichara'-thoughtless), may concentrate or just relax. The ultimate result should be your innate relationships with your inner wise, brilliant & powerful self. This is what makes miracles.

The easiest method I have experienced is to be relaxed at a calm & peaceful place, then concentrate on each group of muscles, agonists & antagonists alternatively, contract & relax them alternatively only once & leave them in permanently relaxed condition(whoi can do this better than we doctors!!!). You have to do this with all the muscle groups(flexors, extensors..) at each joint from leg to head. After the last muscle- orbicularis occuli- concentrate on your respiration- inspiration & expiration- forget everything & 'watch' yourself as a third person, as if you are watching your body respirating. With practice, you will learn to do all these processes quickly & automatically.

Try this & you will feel more relaxed during the whole day, u'll feel more energetic(meditation is connection with your subconscious, which itself is the infinitive energy source), your learning will be much improved, confidence will increase(so u'll give better viva!!!), & last secret, try to visualise your result in meditation after some practise, & I'm sure you will see that in your marksheet! (This is my personal experience, I've got desired marks in all 3 uni exams by doing this, with total 6-7 hrs sleep during both theory & practical exams, with minimal reading & wit hcontinuing all my hobbies all the time..)

Hope this will be helpful to students willing to meditate & I invite them to share their experiences & difficulties in this practise..

spatil
Aim NEET PG

I am happy to see so many reply to this thread. OK I agree Meditation helps in studies ( actually in every aspect of life ).
BUT WHAT IS MEDITATION??????????????

spatil
Aim NEET PG

When we speak about meditation what comes in mind usually seating relax in solitude. When we speak about Meditation essentialy we should speak about spirituality in our life, beacause I think Meditation is realising self in purest form & realising god, tapping this energy. Surely Meditation will help us by this , but my question remains same if meditation is realising self then is concentrating on something or relaxation or chanting some mantras can be called as meditation.
Again I want raise a question that what is basic purpose of meditation? ( main aim meditation must be to achieve something all we are getting are byproducts of process).

parin

What is meditation..
Hi spatil,

nice to discuss these subject on medico's site!

Yes, all the benefits & achievements of meditation are definitively by products. The most important thing what I think is that you should know yourself. & I don't think any one but a Dr can understand the body better! That's why I've always believed that a Dr should be always spiritual. more than any others.. But what I've seen so far is quite opposite to this.. y, I don't know.. let it go..

If we have understood our bodily physiology well, I don;t think any one of us will agree it is by chance. There is some spiritual power behind the world. just see the growth of a fetus inside uterus! all is so well-coordinated & planned that we( or at least I!) can not believe it is without any control. without any influence..

I think, to know that spirituality, is meditation. To feel as a part of that great system, is meditation.

I don't think relaxation or mantras or concentration or.. are meditation. they are different ways to meditation. All have experienced the divinity through different ways, & all have shown these ways to mankind. whichever way you may choose, the final point should be a state of non-ending inner peace, egolessness, love, total acceptance, total absence of inner or external conflicts, & realization or awareness of the beutiful world & its creator.. may u call Him the whatever..

spatil
Aim NEET PG

Nice to hear you parin. I am also of opinion that Dr should be spiritual. When we get into deepness of anything we go into spirituality, but understanding spirituality is..................... what can I say , I think Creator will be the only authority who can give you exact knowledge of this. People think about God as Almighty authority, people think God is power or a post but I must say that he also person with authority of love. His actual greatness is not the thing that he is almighty but loves all of us probably more than any one.
What do you think?

parin

God is nothing but pure love..
Hi spatil,

It is always good when we find someone to be thinking like ourselves! So, glad to meet you!

You are absolutely right. He is not an authority, a person with all the power nor the highest post. I think He is pure love. Thinking of God, personally, what comes to my mind is picture of lord Krishna, but look at others, from any religion, they will be a great combination of love, service, selflessness.. (make list of virtues!!) & absence of negatives..

I never think Him as a ruler.. No, He can't be.. I myself become full with pleasure when I think how I was made out 2 cell stage! any one mistake, only one, would be enough to make my life dependant. I could have been blind, deaf, lame.. what not! but I 'm not, that's His love..

& I believe whoever feels himself/herself to be unlucky/unhappy should remember this.. There were so many possibilities that you could have been more worse than this.. & u are not becoz of His love..

I don't think this bcoz of only my spirituality, but I think this approach, if we give to patients, especially those suffering from severe/lethal diseases, it might be great help for them. Hope psychiatry will have to do a lot in this direction..

spatil
Aim NEET PG

Only RxPG members can see links here! Register or Login!

spatil
Aim NEET PG

Sorry it is not displaying. I don't what's wrong, I am trying again.
Only RxPG members can see links here! Register or Login!

dilip_omc
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

well, its a nice topic dudes.......

I have benifited from meditation a lot.

I spent sleepless nights before the day of exams (both theory and practs ) in First and second mbbs.

I started meditation ( though not seriously), i tried to keep myself cool , and tenseless ..

And the result .. amzing , I had good sleep before exams and am tenseless even 1 min b4 the start of exams. I really wrote my exams far better than 1st and 2nd mbbs...

Meditation and Yoga , really works, and their importance must be included in our curriculum. What do u say ?

contactKhans
Aim AIIMS

Hi All ,
We are having MD/MS/PG-DIPLOMA/MBBS/MDS/BDS Management quota seats in Karnataka,
If interested Kindly call on 81..47..83..81..29....

SurabhiPandit
Aim Indian PG Exams

Thank you for starting this thread.. Yes, meditation has been scientifically proven to enhance memory, reduce stress and anxiety among so many other benefits. Just google n the list is endless icon_smile.gif The best part is you don't have to sit for an hour to see tangible changes..even 10 minutes twice a day is good enough. I have been practising since some time and i find becoming aware of the breath the easiest method. You could also try online guided meditations or meditating listening to nature sounds. Since we are in a career where we encounter suffering around us daily, its important to be emotionally and mentally healthy so that we remain calm and are able to spread goodness in our little way. Meditation can be whatever you want it to be for you..productivity enhancer, gateway to your real self..whatever you choose to see it as. The important thing is trying to stick to it without thinking too much about the outcome. You ask what is the aim of meditation.. I think its peace and getting closer to the reality beyond all these illusions..

Essentials of Medical Pharmacology By KD Tripathi
Extensively revised and updated chapters to include recently introduced drugs, published information and therapeutic practices.
 Page 1 of 1
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> MBBS -> Does Meditation Help in Study?

MBBS Community
RxPG community for 17 years
2,876 active members | 10,359 posts

Topic ID #40498
Started 14 years ago
3 community credits
11 contributors
22 posts | 11,578 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 96 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 3.202 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook