RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - General queries about USMLE  
 Page 4 of 22 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

dr_euphoria

Hi AshB , do you have any data regarding steps score and getting residency spot.....

like >90 in both steps.... chances of getting residency?
>95 in both steps..... chances of getting residency?

or have any links or website, then post it, I want to know about that.

thanks in advance

UNANSWERED: Anyone wants to buy my Uworld Subscription?

AshB

dr_euphoria wrote:
Hi AshB , do you have any data regarding steps score and getting residency spot.....

like >90 in both steps.... chances of getting residency?
>95 in both steps..... chances of getting residency?

This is d data i found.. And its of around 2005.
No of IMGs who got residency after clearing MLE – 49%
No of students (including US graduates) who got residency(MLE score > 75) = 75%
No of students (including US graduates) who got residency(MLE score > 90) = 90%

arundhutik
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi, this thread has been so very useful. can u please tell if any verification of degrees is to be done by the ecfmg after getting the id number or do they do the verification only after one applies for the exam? next, can u tell approx how many months are required to prepare for step1? the first aid book do we need to study the new version only?
thanks for being so very informative.

AshB

arundhutik wrote:
hi, this thread has been so very useful. can u please tell if any verification of degrees is to be done by the ecfmg after getting the id number or do they do the verification only after one applies for the exam? next, can u tell approx how many months are required to prepare for step1? the first aid book do we need to study the new version only?
thanks for being so very informative.

Hi arundhutik! Yes ecfmg verifies our degree n transcripts from our parent college and its mandatory. Buts its done after u apply for any one step.

First Aid is indespensable.. do go thru out multiple times. Better if u have recent, if not d latest version.

5-7 months of 6-8 hrs per day is enuf for Step1.

doc04
Aim NEET PG

suggestion???
I graduated in july 2004 and now decided to give USMLE.My query is that 2008 match may not be feasible for me and if i plan for 2009 match. will it be too late???i have heard mostly scores matter these days..and not the year of graduation..
Thanks.This is thread is of highly informative.

Jigna
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

hi doc04..

u can make up for 2008, if u wanna.. u can give ur steps as follows..
step 1--- jan-feb
step 2CK--- jun-july
step 2CS--- aug-sept

as step 3 is not cumpulsary for gettign resi, u can give anytiem after ur CS...

well, u are rite that scores matters, but ya,, number of yrs postgraduation also are taken into consideration.. but if u are working during that period, than its fine.. coz ur resume should not have that years blank...

bye... and best of luck..

californian
Aim FMGE

when to join
Well only few colleges in US ask you to be a fresh graduate not all.I think only 15% of all programs want you to be a fresh graduate.

californian
Aim FMGE

help
Just concentrate on your step-2 now and residency depends on alot of factors not just scores.One of my friend got into FP with 77 and 81 this year.

yogi020984
Aim USMLE Step 1

How do they derive 3 figure score?
hello everyone
is 3figure score exactly the No. of Q answered correctly?
After deducting dummy Qs?
Or something else?
thanks

cutie555
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

thanx californian,it was soothing and encouraging to read that and so now step2 is the aim..

abacus
Aim USMLE Step 1

guys help plzzz..ECFMG account logout pro...anyone online!!!
guys help me out on this one, please!!!!
i have made my ecfmg online account but i cant see any logout button in my account!!!
i tried closing the browser window, but the ECFMG didnt recognise me the next time i tried to access my account, i had ask them for a new password!!
now i am logged in and STUCK!!! i dont know how to logout!!
should i click the ECFMG home link?
thanks
abacus

tona
Aim USMLE Step 1

FA STEP1 2007
hey guys !
any idea when FIRST AID step1 2007 is coming out?

doc04
Aim NEET PG

Thanks for that information.

AshB

Re: How do they derive 3 figure score?
yogi020984 wrote:
hello everyone
is 3figure score exactly the No. of Q answered correctly?
After deducting dummy Qs?
Or something else?
thanks

Read the following thread on Understanding Score in USMLE:
Only RxPG members can see links here! Register or Login!

arundhutik
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi, ur reply was so very helpful. i just wanted to clarify a little more. the issue is this, u have replied that once we apply for step1 our documents are verified. but a senior who is currently doing his residency, was telling me perhaps there is some verification of documents that require to be done before one applies for step1. well, that mayve been the procedure earlier,so i just want to clarify this.........no need of document verification before one applies right? actually just got a little confused with varying info.......thanks for being so patient.

AshB

arundhutik wrote:
hi, ur reply was so very helpful. i just wanted to clarify a little more. the issue is this, u have replied that once we apply for step1 our documents are verified. but a senior who is currently doing his residency, was telling me perhaps there is some verification of documents that require to be done before one applies for step1. well, that mayve been the procedure earlier,so i just want to clarify this.........no need of document verification before one applies right? actually just got a little confused with varying info.......thanks for being so patient.

Document verification is done ONLY AFTER u apply.. Simple.

BTW why r u worried over this.. even if it had to be verified before, y r u wasting ur energies on such trivial an issue???

drche

may b due to some applet loading failure..may b u can try the same page with a different broswer..for eg. if u had used internet explorer, try using mozilla fire fox..but usually, the log out is within the page and not outside the page. letz c..

cudos,che..

abacus
Aim USMLE Step 1

went over to OASIS
yeah, maybe i could try that, thanks drche
just now i went over from IWA to OASIS and logged out of my account from there, and it seemed to work well..
i am going to reformat my PC soon, will look into this then, let hope i dont have to ask the ECFMG for more passwords!

cheers
abacus

khox
Aim NEET PG

oasis querie
i hav sent my usmle step1 form 183 to ecfmg n they hav sent me a mail confirming that the form has reached.
it has been abt 15 days but my status hasnt changed in oasis.
how do i confirm??
can get an idea of scheduling my exam with prometric or any other route without the orange card?

navz

AshB help!!!!
hey AshB is internal medicine in us same as general medicine in india? i mean when i clicked on dat it keeps mentioning abt communit work n epidimiology...n like ifi want to opt for cardiology..i shud opt for general medicine first right? n then go for cardio later???? plz dotn mind if da Q is dumb[icon_razz.gif]...so like if i want cardio which residency shud i choose for?

jaissy

Is it difficult to get a visa to US if we go to saudi or any other middle east countries and work there for some time.

khox
Aim NEET PG

i hav applied for step1.my slot is jan-feb-march07.n i hav got a mail that my certification statement form 183 has reached.but my status has not changed in oasis.how shall i confirm it??

mnys
Aim MMST - IIT Kharagpur

Hi Guys....Thank U RxPG for such a gr8 site.

I have A Question...Could anyone plz tell me the optimum times for applying n giving my steps given that the end of october is near.....my aim is the 2008 residency.....i havent applied yet,though i have started preparing for my step 1 a month ago....Im in quite a fix coz some of my friends say im too late & i cant make it......Plz advise......

Also one of my friends is preparing for Step 1 & Step 2 simultaneously, coz of the time constraints.....is that advisable.....esp in my case.....

Ill be very grateful 4 ur replies......
THnx Again for the advise n encouraging posts ....

AshB

Re: oasis querie
khox wrote:
i hav sent my <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
step1 form 183 to ecfmg n they hav sent me a mail confirming that the form has reached.
it has been abt 15 days but my status hasnt changed in oasis.
how do i confirm??
can get an idea of scheduling my exam with prometric or any other route without the orange card?

This process takes some time specially this time of d year when ECFMG is overloaded. If u r still anxious u can call up ECFMG helpline.

N there is no other ruote i know of, to confirm this.

AshB

jaissy wrote:
Is it difficult to get a visa to US if we go to saudi or any other middle east countries and work there for some time.

Sorry.. No idea.. icon_sad.gif

AshB

mnys wrote:
Hi Guys....Thank U RxPG for such a gr8 site.

I have A Question...Could anyone plz tell me the optimum times for applying n giving my steps given that the end of october is near.....my aim is the 2008 residency.....i havent applied yet,though i have started preparing for my step 1 a month ago....Im in quite a fix coz some of my friends say im too late & i cant make it......Plz advise......

Also one of my friends is preparing for Step 1 & Step 2 simultaneously, coz of the time constraints.....is that advisable.....esp in my case.....

Ill be very grateful 4 ur replies......
THnx Again for the advise n encouraging posts ....

NO U R NOT LATE. Though u might not have started at d best of times but if u plan properly and work hard u can easliy make it to 2008 match.

For schedules please read previous few pages of this thread. Its been discussed more than once here as well as other hot threads.

I'd never advise both simultaneously. Simply concentrate on one, complete it, then rush on to the next. Thats my 2 cents.. take ur own pick.

I quote my previous reply..
Quote:
See Ideally we shud have all our scores ready before early september upto Step3. Nothing would beat that, n that'll give u d best results.

The minimal with which we can participate in 2008 match is if we take our step2CS b4 31st dec, 2007.

Now some1 in a situation like u can get somewhere in between these two. U can take d steps roughly in d following fashion:
1. Step1 - Around Feb-March
2. Step2CK - early July
3. Step2CS - Late aug
4. Step3- october or nov (so as to have ur step3 scores with u during ur interviews.)

Though there'll be lot of road blocks like visa etc. U'll have to plan meticulously in advance specially the Step2CS, visa interview, n step3 part.

Yes, step3 is optional, if u r not hell bent on H1B. Plus step3 scores r not taken into consideration by all programs. But if u have scored well in it too, its definitely a plus point n even serves to mask any previous under-performances.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

AshB

Re: AshB help!!!!
navz wrote:
hey AshB is internal medicine in us same as general medicine in india? i mean when i clicked on dat it keeps mentioning abt communit work n epidimiology...n like ifi want to opt for cardiology..i shud opt for general medicine first right? n then go for cardio later???? plz dotn mind if da Q is dumb[icon_razz.gif]...so like if i want cardio which residency shud i choose for?

Yes IM and general medicine are d same.

For cardio d usual route is residency in IM, then fellowship i cardiology. But i guess there r a few programs which offer direct 6-8 year cardiology program n u can apply for them after taking USMLE. I'm sure of such programs in neurology but not 100% sure about cardiology. Go to FREIDA online at d following link and find out list and links of cardiology programs for more info.

AshB

Re: FA STEP1 2007
tona wrote:
hey guys !
any idea when FIRST AID step1 2007 is coming out?

I've been told, it'll be around Feb end or early march of 2007.

mnys
Aim MMST - IIT Kharagpur

hey thnx AshB. ur replies r always informmative n encouraging!!!

navz

AshB help!!
ashB thanx a loooot man for all ur help!!!!heheh one more query!! see u told dat if i give my step2 ck in july then i should opt for august end as my cs date!! i have heard dat only if u have your step1 n step2ck scores will they sanction the cs visa? is it true?? wont it be possible to apply with step 1 score and a step2 ck ka orange card???if not possible dat means i have to wait till ck scores coem out n say dat will be in july end ...and then only can i apply for cs visa kya?
and do we get dates (not eligibility period) for cs before or after the cs visa gets sanctioned???
iam sorry if da question itself seem confusing...i really tried to put it in da most understandable way icon_razz.gif
thanx yaar icon_biggrin.gif

eager_to_learn
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi,
please give me the information regarding intervals at which usmle step 1 xms are held.

the syllabus for step1 and the books required along with appropiate test series.

i m totally new to this topic so plz consider.

aj
Aim NEET PG

Edited by RxPG Team
Violation of TOS

navz

yaar go to ecfmg site..they have all ur problems solved there!!!!dates are available almost thru out the year!!it sonly in cs u have a problem when u cannot be soo choosy on ur dates!!!n for da entire process go thru thsi thread ...it will solve all ur quieries!!!

aj
Aim NEET PG

Sorry RxPG about posting the link..
I thought because it was advertised on your web site, I could post it and take an opinion of veterans on that.
Sorry about that.

AshB

Re: AshB help!!
navz wrote:
i have heard dat only if u have your step1 n step2ck scores will they sanction the cs visa? is it true?? wont it be possible to apply with step 1 score and a step2 ck ka orange card???if not possible dat means i have to wait till ck scores coem out n say dat will be in july end ...and then only can i apply for cs visa kya?
and do we get dates (not eligibility period) for cs before or after the cs visa gets sanctioned???

Quite a few people go for CS without taking step2Ck but it bears an increased risk of visa rejection. But usually its not a 'rejection', rather they give u a yellow slip under section 221g which means u can come back anytime u have d requisite scores, without the need for taking visa appointment again. The disadvantage is that it increases d no of visits to US cos u have to come back for step2CK b4 u can go for step3/observerships/residency interviews.

We can take CS date anytime and our visa status has no bearing on that. Infact u won't get a visa unless u have taken a CS date.

Don't worry, we all r confused about something or the other, its ok.. Chill..icon_smile.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Hope it helps.. icon_smile.gif

jeumoni
Aim Australia

USMLE
what should be your maximum time of graduation before step 1?

AshB

Re: <a href=
jeumoni wrote:
what should be your maximum time of graduation before step 1?

U shud have completed 2 years of medical school to be eligible for step1.

cessna
Aim MRCP Part 1

USMLE
Hi! Could anyone please inform about how to prepare for usmle and what exactly counts for the preparation. Usually how long it would take to prepare for either steps?

shruti81
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

what it the difference between mcat and mle
hi,

rxpg members,

i just want to know what is the difference between mcat and usmle exams.

since my cousin who is in usa is also going to become a doctor is studying for mcat examinations. since we are foreign medical graduates do we have to give different exams then the us citizens.

like in india 5.5 years of mbbs then u qualify for residency in us after usmle exams what is the procedure for same in us since i have heard lot of my cousin friends who were in chemistry in one year have now changed the line and started studying for mcat exams. thanks bye/

mansim
Aim USMLE Step 1

a few questions
I know these topics like histology,genetics,aging,nutrition,molecular & cell biology are low yield.How many queations do they cover?and which block are they included in?

if i have graduated from med school,do i still need a certification from my med school saying that i have done my basic science part in order to sit for usmle 1?

AshB

Re: what it the difference between mcat and mle
shruti81 wrote:
hi,

rxpg members,

i just want to know what is the difference between mcat and <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
exams.

since my cousin who is in usa is also going to become a doctor is studying for mcat examinations. since we are foreign medical graduates do we have to give different exams then the us citizens.

like in india 5.5 years of mbbs then u qualify for residency in us after <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
exams what is the procedure for same in us since i have heard lot of my cousin friends who were in chemistry in one year have now changed the line and started studying for mcat exams. thanks bye/

I think MCAT is like the PMTs in India. While all medical grads including US citizens n grads have to take USMLE before they can get a residency.

AshB

Re: a few questions
mansim wrote:
I know these topics like histology,genetics,aging,nutrition,molecular & cell biology are low yield.How many queations do they cover?and which block are they included in?

See Kaplan Qbank's initial few pages. It covers such division of questions.

I don't get ur block wala question!! Cos every block includes questions from all subjects.

mansim wrote:
if i have graduated from med school,do i still need a certification from my med school saying that i have done my basic science part in order to sit for <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
1?

Yes u have to get ur degrees verified. Please read information booklet from ecfmg.org for all such questions.

drche

yeah exactly, MCAT is medical college admission test.. something akin to pre medical entrance test. u have to pass this to get admiitted to med schools in us.
and usmle, the us grad take during their course in med school itself..

AshB

Re: <a href=
cessna wrote:
Hi! Could anyone please inform about how to prepare for <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
and what exactly counts for the preparation. Usually how long it would take to prepare for either steps?

Please take some time o read the following links. U'll find most of ur queries answered...

and

navz

thanx a million
hey ashB thanx a million for all u rpatient replies ya!!!really aprreciate it!!

pst
Aim USMLE Step 1

GUIDE TO USMLE STEP 1 INVITED
HI
can anyone guide me thro step 1 usmle which i would be takin in feb2007.. please help me with ur replies.. is KAPLAN MATERIALS FOR STEP 1 alone sufficient????/

mansim
Aim USMLE Step 1

for ashB and RxPG team
can anyone tell me,is the kaplan comlex and kaplan USMLE same?

According to kaplan website,they are the same ,just kaplan comlex has an additional osteopathic principles.

my friend has kaplan comlex,so i thought of just borrowing it to photocopy than spending a whole lot of money to buy the kaplan USMLE .

Do kaplan notes change from year to year?or they stay just the same?

AshB

Re: for ashB and RxPG team
mansim wrote:
can anyone tell me,is the kaplan comlex and kaplan <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
same?

According to kaplan website,they are the same ,just kaplan comlex has an additional osteopathic principles.

my friend has kaplan comlex,so i thought of just borrowing it to photocopy than spending a whole lot of money to buy the kaplan <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>

Do kaplan notes change from year to year?or they stay just the same?

Sorry buddy no idea about the differences. icon_sad.gif

AshB

Re: GUIDE TO <a href=
pst wrote:
HI
can anyone guide me thro step 1 <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
which i would be takin in feb2007.. please help me with ur replies.. is KAPLAN MATERIALS FOR STEP 1 alone sufficient????/

Plz take some time and see d following link and read d hot topics in Step1 forum for all major info.

drtask
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

can any one tell me how to change oct-nov-dec slot to jan- feb -mar slot.do i need to apply again using new 2007 application material.
need your help here...

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 4 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> General queries about USMLE

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 16 years
1,565 active members | 4,588 posts

Topic ID #55698
Started 14 years ago
104 community credits
391 contributors
1,095 posts | 431,622 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 132 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 2.852 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook