RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - Quiting MBBS After 2nd year then joining MD(US Program)?  
 Page 1 of 1

mraheel
Aim USMLE Step 1

Quiting MBBS After 2nd year then joining MD(US Program)?
Hello people,

im currently in 2nd year MBBS and just ended my 3rd semester. A brother of mine, whose doing MD in Cornell University in a accelerated 6year program advised me if i could tryout getting into MD after i complete Second year that is 2.5 years of study in MBBS.

My question is, is it worth doing so?? I kno i would need to get good MCAT scores. and i do have other credentials such as research in Saudi Arabia and population research in India(where i currently study).

I want to kno, given a chance to do so, would u guyz go for it, considering Cornell is an Ivy League university.

thanks.

raheel

UNANSWERED: Topics division/frequency in final mbbs question papers?

bibliophobic
Aim AIIMS

This is for the first time that i have heard of such a thing. i think u should only go for it if you wish to get settled in the US for rest of your life because you say you havent completed your third mbbs as yet means that you have little/no knowledge of clinical aspect of medical study in india. then you may find it difficult to cope up with the indian standards and trends afterwards and hey if you r confident enough that you would find some solution for this problem and you wish to practice in india afterwards then this might be a great opprtunity and dont forget to check MCI rules regarding the same.

mraheel
Aim USMLE Step 1

thanks for reply man, i think ur saying that this would be a gr8 oppertunity if i'd want to practice and assume furthur education out side.. india.

And, where would i found complete MCI Regulations regarding quiting etc.. mci website talks little about it.

thanks again..

bibliophobic
Aim AIIMS

u r rite buddy e1 im unable to find MCI rules & regulations regarding this issue i think u will have to contact someone over there personally to get hold of the issue. n u r telling ur brother is in such a course so u may ask him for details and hey don't forget to check out the status of this cornell university i mean it's recognition,etc. and also confirm the degree that they will be awarding before going ahead ok
regards

sybarite

Re: Quiting MBBS After 2nd year then joining MD(US Program)?
mraheel wrote:
Hello people,

im currently in 2nd year MBBS and just ended my 3rd semester. A brother of mine, whose doing MD in Cornell University in a accelerated 6year program advised me if i could tryout getting into MD after i complete Second year that is 2.5 years of study in MBBS.

My question is, is it worth doing so?? I kno i would need to get good MCAT scores. and i do have other credentials such as research in Saudi Arabia and population research in India(where i currently study).

I want to kno, given a chance to do so, would u guyz go for it, considering Cornell is an Ivy League university.

thanks.

raheel

hi raheel.....
i dont know y u wanna so something like that..... u just have 2 more yrs of studying left..... give ur usmle during ur internship.... that way u can practice in usa....
dont waste ur time, effort and money on something like this....
good luck to u

mraheel
Aim USMLE Step 1

thanks for the input people.
now the degree is an M.D. granted by Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. the medical program lasts for 4 years.
its fully recognised.

and sybarite, i totall agree that i'd loose some years of ma life.. but the reasons why i wanted to go for this is
1) Getting an US M.D. assures u job anywhere in da world
2) IMPORTANT: my brother was sayin that if i apply for residencies in US after doing my MD from Cornell, it would be much easier for me to get good residency offers which is not the case if i do it in India.
3) Almost No visa problems

now, i could be wrong and im not quite sure, if i'd even make it. but i wana kno if its worth a try,

thanks.

doc_cru

hey go for it ...if u really want to...and if u already have your visa/green card
coz they always prefer the american graduates over the foreign gradutes in their residency programmes...
all the best

anonymous

Re: Quiting MBBS After 2nd year then joining MD(US Program)?
mraheel wrote:

what is accelarated 6 yrs program? does it mean your 2.5 yrs of med schooling in India would be a waste?

But if you can get in Cornell it would be wonderful but i guess the competition for getting into Cornell would really be a tough one. as pointed out rightly by some other poster, if you want to remain in USA and want to get a good residency position go for Cornell there is no doubt about that.

as far as i know nndergraduate US degree ie. MD is not recongnised in India. India has the system of reciprocal recognition i.e. it recognises medical degrees from the countries which recognise indian MBBS and as far i know the only country to do that is Nepal. You can practice your speciality in India if you complete your residency in USA but you need to have Indian undergraduate degree to do so. Otherwise there is an entrace exams through which foreign medical graduates are evaluated and given clearance for registration in India... its called FMGE i guess.... but better get in touch with people from MCI

shuchu
Aim AIIMS

how can u do an residency widout undergraduation i didnt get dat...............................????????/

Essentials of Medical Pharmacology By KD Tripathi
Extensively revised and updated chapters to include recently introduced drugs, published information and therapeutic practices.
 Page 1 of 1
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> MBBS -> Quiting MBBS After 2nd year then joining MD(US Program)?

MBBS Community
RxPG community for 17 years
2,876 active members | 10,359 posts

Topic ID #49752
Started 14 years ago
6 contributors
9 posts | 3,645 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 124 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 3.286 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook