RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - General queries about USMLE  
 Page 11 of 22 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

villa_torino123
Aim USMLE Step 1

hello there ash b,i need some advice,i'm planning to study pharmac sson and i need to ask,shall i read only lippincott or shall i read lippincott+kaplan notes+kaplan lectures (i can plan my time table around which option i choose)please help cos i really need pharmac is one subject i dont want to mess up n i neeed brushing up

UNANSWERED: Anyone wants to buy my Uworld Subscription?

AshB

villa_torino123 wrote:
hello there ash b,i need some advice,i'm planning to study pharmac sson and i need to ask,shall i read only lippincott or shall i read lippincott+kaplan notes+kaplan lectures (i can plan my time table around which option i choose)please help cos i really need pharmac is one subject i dont want to mess up n i neeed brushing up

If you ask me Kaplan notes are a bit concise, so refer lippincott for topics you think you need more data to understand them. In general, i found Kaplan enough. Best is to keep your options open and schedule flexible.

kristi
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hi AshB
sorry but r there any specific reasons
or
r there any other ways that can show a soln to this?
sorry once again.

kristi
Aim USMLE Step 1

bcoz thought it would be useful to many

AshB

kristi wrote:
Hi AshB
sorry but r there any specific reasons
or
r there any other ways that can show a soln to this?
sorry once again.

I don't see any other way. If you have any ideas plz put them forth.

kristi
Aim USMLE Step 1

bcoz thought it would be useful to many

kristi
Aim USMLE Step 1

My idea icon_arrow.gif
Is it not possible to start a new thread
where people who want a specific date can mention it
and if anybody wishing to cancel or postpone or exchange a date if all of them put it here in a thread then I think it would be useful.
Well if it is not possible icon_sad.gif

villa_torino123
Aim USMLE Step 1

thanks !!!now u've put me in a dilemma i think i'll stick to what u said keep it flexible!!!ciao

akoud

hi AshB ,,,,,,,, thanks for this nice post,,,,,i want to ask u about pharmacology,i find it very difficult ,i need to know how many questions in the real exam about this subject ,,also have u any advice about this issue...........with my best wishes,,,

itsjusnobody
Aim USMLE Step 1

hello there,
im a 2nd mbbs student.. n im interested in pursuing interventional cardio/radiology..i hv a GC and am currently carrying out a research<my first one>..how many researches r u sposd to carry out, to ensure getting residencies in above fields, n around how much must i score in each step?
plz help..itll help me clear a lotta doubts

kristi
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hi AshB
Can U tell the hi yield areas in step1
and
is there equal distribution of questions r varied?
and another silly small doubt
somebody writes the exam evryday
is there any repetition of questions
do all the persons writing the exam on same day get the same questions
or is there any variation?

Whiterose
Aim USMLE Step 1

READ THIS-
Only RxPG members can see links here! Register or Login!

kristi
Aim USMLE Step 1

Thank U White rose

giya
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hi everybody,
can anybody tell me which is the last date of submission of score for match 2008. Thanks in advance

giya

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

hey giya
Application process starts on 1st of september every year and for best results all your scores and CS result shpuld be with ECFMG by this time.
therefore, for MATCH 2008, you should be over with Step I and Step II CS by July.

AshB

giya wrote:
Hi everybody,
can anybody tell me which is the last date of submission of score for match 2008. Thanks in advance

giya

There is no last date as such but practically you should be ECFMG certified by Feb 20th, 2008. Please read the forums to understand the whole process.

v9_76
Aim USMLE Step 1

give a suggestion on scheduling usmle step 1 2 3
hi....i have finished my undergraduation...planning to give usmle step 1 by this yr end.i wanted ur advise on when can i take the exam..i don know how to schedule my exams..plz give me a suggestion on when and how i should plan on all the 3 steps..

AshB

Re: give a suggestion on scheduling <a href=
v9_76 wrote:
hi....i have finished my undergraduation...planning to give <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
step 1 by this yr end.i wanted ur advise on when can i take the exam..i don know how to schedule my exams..plz give me a suggestion on when and how i should plan on all the 3 steps..

Please read through the forums for detailed discussions on these topics. Its hard to outline a fixed schedule. Some people take steps in 1 month's preps and get 99 while others barely pass with a years prep. Take your steps when you feel confident enough. Go through various exam experiences to know different approaches.. You can find the important threads from the following link..

kristi
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hello,
Ash B,
what is the form number for extension of exam period after completing the online form?
I couldn't locate it in the ECFMG site even after logging.

kristi
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the ECFMG password.
If so how?
Thanks.

shils
Aim IELTS

hi m a 3rd yr student now n will b givin my univs in dec...
i wanna know which is d best time to give step 1

n also d approx prep time n wat books to read...

pls pls pls help me out...

dr_kanwar
Aim Canada

About the books to read,, u can visist the approprite thread.. but still the backbone of preparation is KAPLAN notes.
Approx time fr preparation according to Ash B is 5 months 14 days 16 hours [i think so,,, dnt knw exactly but iread it some where written by Ash b] [Never mind dis plijjjjj sHILS]
WELL 5 TO 6 MONTHS ARE ENUF WID6 TO 8 HRS A DAY.

dr_kanwar
Aim Canada

I wish to ask dis to everyone who r appearing shortly. Well i recieved my Schedule permit via email. and no orange card[[anything like dat] via air mail .
My frends used to talk abt dis orange card,, card of entry i.e SP.
Wats dis orange card?
have u people got the orange card or just the email ,,,in wich it is written,,dat u r supposed to get the print out of dis SP and must be brought to yhe center wid a Identity Proof.
Is dat all ?
plijj tell me wats the orange card?

Whiterose
Aim USMLE Step 1

YES DR_KANWAR-EARLIER[TILL DEC-2006] IT USED TO BE AN ORANGE CARD WHICH USED 2 CM VIA POSTAL MAIL.
THATS HISTORY NOW.

SINCE LAST DEC-U RECIEVE UR ONLINE SCHEDULING PERMIT,WHICH U MUST PRINT OUT N TAKE WITH U ON EXAM DAY,ALONG WIYH ID..

dr_kanwar
Aim Canada

Thanks alot Whiterose.

Whiterose
Aim USMLE Step 1

5 MNTHS 14 DAYS 16 HRS?
DAT WAS MEANT 2 BE A JOKE!!icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

SHILS GIVE UR UNI EXAMS FIRST..

THEN CHALK OUT A REASONABLE PLAN.
U SURE HAVE ENUF TIME!

dr_kanwar
Aim Canada

Yess Shill that was a joke ..
Please dont Mind that...
I am sorry if dat hurts u.
I knw everyone who think of appearing in dis exam is definately inquisitive of the time frame for Preparation of the exam.
Good luck

jaydoc
Aim NONE

hi ashB,

i just learnt about this MSPE stuff on the ECFMG website...?

what's all that....? Is it really necessary to get one now...? i read somewhere that they may accept a dean's letter instead. Is that ok...? and it says that if we don't have an MSPE a neutral filler form will be supplied by the ECFMG...?

and this dean's letter...? what should it contain...? if you could, send me a copy of your's by mail, can you...? i mean if it isn't too personal. I really don't know what should be on that letter. just so-and-so studied in this college from this time to time...? is that all that's needed...? kindly help out on this issue.

and the LORs...? is it imperative that we should have all ready by september 1...? because i can only get my indian LoRs by then. Using some contacts in the USA i'm trying to get an observership there. if it does materialize it will be late september when i come there again...! it will be october end when i get those. can i resend those LoRs at that time. i know we can only send 4 lors to each program. but can we submit the application on sep 1 using only our available LORs and then transmit the other LORs as soon as we get them, to the programs to which we applied earlier....? and can we mention on our personal statements that i'm doing an observership just now, and will be ready with some USCE by interview date...?!

hope you get what i'm trying to drive at....!!!

AshB

jaydoc wrote:
hi ashB,

i just learnt about this MSPE stuff on the ECFMG website...?

what's all that....? Is it really necessary to get one now...? i read somewhere that they may accept a dean's letter instead. Is that ok...? and it says that if we don't have an MSPE a neutral filler form will be supplied by the ECFMG...?

and this dean's letter...? what should it contain...? if you could, send me a copy of your's by mail, can you...? i mean if it isn't too personal. I really don't know what should be on that letter. just so-and-so studied in this college from this time to time...? is that all that's needed...? kindly help out on this issue.

and the LORs...? is it imperative that we should have all ready by september 1...? because i can only get my indian LoRs by then. Using some contacts in the USA i'm trying to get an observership there. if it does materialize it will be late september when i come there again...! it will be october end when i get those. can i resend those LoRs at that time. i know we can only send 4 lors to each program. but can we submit the application on sep 1 using only our available LORs and then transmit the other LORs as soon as we get them, to the programs to which we applied earlier....? and can we mention on our personal statements that i'm doing an observership just now, and will be ready with some USCE by interview date...?!

hope you get what i'm trying to drive at....!!!

Jaydoc, you are right the ECFMG letter can be used instead of a Dean's letter but that is not a preferred option. Usually all college offices have their own proforma as does my college. You should consult your college office for details. Mine said that i just need to submit and application and requisite fees and Provide them with proofs/certificates of the achievements during college that i want on my MSPE. It also mentions any ranks/honors that we might have achieved in any subject during MBBS.

About any document that we send to ERAS always add 4 weeks that it might take them to scan and upload it. The deadline for MSPE is Nov 1, hence we should sent it to ERAS by 1st Oct.

Why don't you ask some of your friends to get the LORs for you. Call up your prof and explain them that you can't come in person and if they can be kind enough to sign them. Then you can send them sooner. I won't suggest sending LORs later than mid Aug. LORs can be updated later. You could:
1. Apply with 3 LORs instead of maximum allowed 4 and when later on add the fourth, you can email the programs about it.
2. Delay applying until you get all your LORs.. Not recommended.
3. Send the LORs that you already have immediately so that they can be uploaded by them by early Sept enabling to start applying then.
4. I'm not sure if we can submit an application with only 2 LORs, even if its allowed its less recommended cos that weakens your application in case the program decides to screen you before you can submit the rest.

Hope it helps a bit. icon_smile.gif

dipsite
Aim USMLE Step 1

Please tell me a thing Ash B if someone applies to ERAS withOUT ECFMG certification then what are the chances of getting interview calls (I had a misconception that ECFMG certification is required for applying to ERAS).
Dr.X (Name Undisclosed) currently toiling in his internship is applying for match this year withOUT ECFMG certification. Though he has STEP1,CK,CSA scores in his hands.

What is your opinion??

Dipsite.

anand_padhu
Aim USMLE Step 1

HI ASHb
hI
ASHb
hope u remember me
i at last got my NOC from coll and joined outside
for my internship.
i got all my working days black and white
hopefully it wont be much of a problem for me later.
But i think prob ll be when i make my transcript ready:) cauz in our college they dont have any definet pattern or any idea of it
Thank u so much cauz i was in great confusion
when u helped me out.
carry on the great job
icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

AshB

Re: HI ASHb
anand_padhu wrote:
hI
ASHb
hope u remember me
i at last got my NOC from coll and joined outside
for my internship.
i got all my working days black and white
hopefully it wont be much of a problem for me later.
But i think prob ll be when i make my transcript ready:) cauz in our college they dont have any definet pattern or any idea of it
Thank u so much cauz i was in great confusion
when u helped me out.
carry on the great job
icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hey Anand! Good that your problem is solved. smiley15.gif

anand_padhu
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi AshB
hey i happened to read in the ECFMG site
theat those who are planning to apply for their exams in the next year 2008 have wait till August 2007 is it right.
or i can apply for it.

AshB

anand_padhu wrote:
hi AshB
hey i happened to read in the ECFMG site
theat those who are planning to apply for their exams in the next year 2008 have wait till August 2007 is it right.
or i can apply for it.

U can't apply or it this year since u haven't taken any steps and also have ur intern. Apply next year in Sept, this is again very detailed and complicated. read the threads for more info..

manipalguy
Aim AIIMS

Dear AshB
I get constantly demoralised and demotivated hearing people say that US MD Degree is not recognized in India( though recently we have heard in the news that Ministry of health is planning to recognize them)

I would like to know what exactly those docs do who come back to india ??
What position do they find themselves working as?
Some says they are absorbed by private hospitals such as MAx. Fortis, Apollo etc. BUt what position do they get.

I have noplans to settle in America but would like to come back. What future do I have then?

Kindly reply.

alimajeed
Aim PLAB Part 1

how much did it take for step 1 result?

can anyone check result online?

AshB

alimajeed wrote:
how much did it take for step 1 result?

can anyone check result online?

It takes 4-6 weeks depending on the time of year.

See this link for latest result update..

ericliang

do i need to do the usmle world ??

manipalguy
Aim AIIMS

Dear AshB .. I am lookin forward for your point of view on my last query. kindly reply.

AshB

ericliang wrote:
do i need to do the <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
world ??

Its good you do a Question bank, which one is your choice. UW is a good option, apart from Kaplan Qbank.

AshB

manipalguy wrote:
Dear AshB
I get constantly demoralised and demotivated hearing people say that US MD Degree is not recognized in India( though recently we have heard in the news that Ministry of health is planning to recognize them)

I would like to know what exactly those docs do who come back to india ??
What position do they find themselves working as?
Some says they are absorbed by private hospitals such as MAx. Fortis, Apollo etc. BUt what position do they get.

I have noplans to settle in America but would like to come back. What future do I have then?

Kindly reply.

We've discussed that repeatedly manipalguy. US Board certifications are recognized in India and most big private hospitals give you relatively good offers. But if you compare to earnings in US, it'll always be very less.

OF COURSE they work as Consultants.

I pity those poor people who have the temerity to try to demoralize you. Cheer up buddy.. Whatever.. you'd do much better than any avg PG back in india.

dr_kanwar
Aim Canada

Hi1 Ash b,I read ur exam experience.it was really very nicely written by u.I have a querry
I joined UW.i did only 4 papers yet.all unused questions
I got 22,23,24,25 in dese 4 papers.
I have to appear on 20 sept
I wish to knw whether u got consistently 69%on dis q bank or u slowly improved?
2.Wen i saw result of my tests dere written as 2 things first was YOUR SCORE 50%
second was Average score 53%

Wat is dis average score.
Hope u will reply soon
THANKS

AshB

dr_kanwar wrote:
Hi1 Ash b,I read ur exam experience.it was really very nicely written by u.I have a querry
I joined UW.i did only 4 papers yet.all unused questions
I got 22,23,24,25 in dese 4 papers.
I have to appear on 20 sept
I wish to knw whether u got consistently 69%on dis q bank or u slowly improved?
2.Wen i saw result of my tests dere written as 2 things first was YOUR SCORE 50%
second was Average score 53%

Wat is dis average score.
Hope u will reply soon
THANKS

Its not unusual or people to start out with low scores on UW. Average score indicates the average score of all people who took that test. Our target is to get as much above average as we can.

I started with early 60s, even 50s in a few tests but with practice improved to early 70s and thats why my cumulative landed in late 60s.

Look towards improving your score. Usually people add 30 to their cumulative UW score to get the projected Step1 2-digit score.

Good luck!

dr_kanwar
Aim Canada

thanks alot Dr. AshB

Siyaa

hI ASH , I HAVE A QUESTION ,I WAS LOOKING THRU EXTENSION OF ELIGIBILITY PERIODS , tHEY HAVE MENTIONED ABOUT EXTENSION BUT THE EXAMPLE GIVEN IS WITHIN THAT YEAR ,IT HAS NOWHERE MENTIONED IF ELIGIBILITY PEROD CAN BE EXTENDED TO NEXT YEAR S CONSECUTIVE PERIOD AS WELL.
FOR EXAMPLE IF SOME ONE HAS ELIGIBILITY PERIOD OF OCTOBER 1 TO DEC 31 , WUD IT BE EXTENDED TO NEXT YEAR JANUARY TO MARCH/APRIL SO FORTH OR ONE NEEDS A NEW APPLICATION OR NEW FEE.

AshB

Siyaa wrote:
hI ASH , I HAVE A QUESTION ,I WAS LOOKING THRU EXTENSION OF ELIGIBILITY PERIODS , tHEY HAVE MENTIONED ABOUT EXTENSION BUT THE EXAMPLE GIVEN IS WITHIN THAT YEAR ,IT HAS NOWHERE MENTIONED IF ELIGIBILITY PEROD CAN BE EXTENDED TO NEXT YEAR S CONSECUTIVE PERIOD AS WELL.
FOR EXAMPLE IF SOME ONE HAS ELIGIBILITY PERIOD OF OCTOBER 1 TO DEC 31 , WUD IT BE EXTENDED TO NEXT YEAR JANUARY TO MARCH/APRIL SO FORTH OR ONE NEEDS A NEW APPLICATION OR NEW FEE.

Hey Siyaa.. icon_smile.gif

How're you doing?

Regarding your query, I guess even in this case the same procedure and fees apply. Your eligibility period simply moves to Jan-March on payment of $50 fees with your application, irrespective of the change in year involved.

villa_torino123
Aim USMLE Step 1

dearest ashb me not getting areply in other posts so i re-directed them here considering that u posted a reply yday,well the thing is this,someone i know (a family friend) has offered me observership in his out patient set-up n stuff in the u.s, observership basically, since i am not even donw with one step i sincerely want to finish one step n then go, but the question remains,is it worth it,will it have any value, is something better than nothing? or shall i bide time and apply to better universities
thanks
please reply

AshB

villa_torino123 wrote:
dearest ashb me not getting areply in other posts so i re-directed them here considering that u posted a reply yday,well the thing is this,someone i know (a family friend) has offered me observership in his out patient set-up n stuff in the u.s, observership basically, since i am not even donw with one step i sincerely want to finish one step n then go, but the question remains,is it worth it,will it have any value, is something better than nothing? or shall i bide time and apply to better universities
thanks
please reply

Since you'll be going for 2009, there's still lot of time. Plan early but do it after you are through major part of your steps.

Certainly something is better than nothing, but you are not at the starge of 'Nothing' yet. An 'Observership' in OPD setting is not of much value and since its a family friend you can do it later when you have exhausted all other possibilities. Certainly, if you are already in US and have nothing better to do, you can go for it but then do get some USCE in a Hospital setting. Read the thread on USCE by tinkerbell in AfterUSMLE forum. I've added a few points in that too.

Hope that helps..

villa_torino123
Aim USMLE Step 1

thanks ash b ...i read thu that post and added stuff there and dinna get a reply...will study hard for step 1 now though!!!!!!!!adios

danan
Aim USMLE Jobs

hi ashB, i have a query regarding booking a slot.i need to book a slot for dec-jan-feb. but in iwa the slots are upto dec i.e. oct-nov-dec.when can i book for my slot. kindly reply me.

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 11 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> General queries about USMLE

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 16 years
1,569 active members | 4,593 posts

Topic ID #55698
Started 14 years ago
104 community credits
391 contributors
1,095 posts | 461,485 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 70 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 0.726 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook