RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - Completed all steps ( 1+ck+cs ) of MLE with scores above 240, ask me anything  
 Page 1 of 4 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

completed all steps ( 1+ck+cs ) of MLE with scores above 240, ask me anything
Hello guys

I have completed my USMLE step 1 , step 2 ck and step 2 CS.
If you have any doubts please feel free to ask and will try to help you with what I have learnt.
This forum has given me a lot so I thought I should also do my part.

UNANSWERED: Anyone wants to buy my Uworld Subscription?

arunsharma385385
Aim USMLE Step 1

sir, I am doing internship now which will complete in march 2016.

My question is that upto what time I should =must clear step 1 , 2 ck cs so that I can start my residency in USA as soon as possible ( in 2017 ).

currently i am reading KAPLAN notes.
Plz answer the same. I will be very thankful to you.

Waiting for your answer.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hi

If you want to start your residency in 2017, then you must have step 1 , ck and cs results by Sept 2016.
If possible go the US for a month of elective during your internship and finish your cs exam at that time.
Try taking step 1 or ck during your minor postings and the other may be May or June 2016. Then you would be ready for a application.

Good luck

arunsharma385385
Aim USMLE Step 1

thankyou sir for answering my query.

by september 2016 i must get results, means that i will have to give step 2 cs in june or july as it takes 3 months for results to come. am i correct ?

i am planning to give step 1 in early december and step 2 in end of march ?am i correct in this time planning ?

for step 1 and step 2 ck, is kaplan & first aid & uworld Q bank is sufficient.? if not plz guide.

waiting for your answer. i will be very thankful.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hi
Sounds like a good plan . yes Kaplan, FA and uworld will work well.
Read Kaplan fast and focus more on FA and uworld.
Good luck.

arunsharma385385
Aim USMLE Step 1

i want to do internal medicine. for that is score of 240 and 240 more than enough ?

i dont have any research publication, also due to financial reasons i will not be able to do electives as u have suggested. i will get letter of reccomendations, that i am approximately sure of.

but i think i can score 240 in both step 1 and step 2 ck.

so with only scores and LOR can i get internal medicine?

plz answer, i will be thankful.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

I understand your problem. As long as you're getting LoRs then it shouldn't be tough.
People who have not done electives have got interviews in the past.
Once you get interviews then its upto you.

arunsharma385385
Aim USMLE Step 1

again thank you sir.

i know it is very far away , but i want to know more about interviews. what happens , what is asked , what one should do to get positive results?

arunsharma385385
Aim USMLE Step 1

with score of 240 is internal medicine gettable? in other threads and from internet , IM is possible. whats ur opinion sir?

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

Well I have heard that they ask you about stuff from and CV and questions like what are your goals in life and hobbies and stuff.
I'm gonna apply for a residency this year, so after I attend my interviews then I will surely tell you more.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

From what I know its possible, I know people with same scores who matched this year.
So fingers crossed.

arunsharma385385
Aim USMLE Step 1

thank you very much sir for answering in such short time.

wishing you all the best .

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

No problem, good luck.

arunsharma385385
Aim USMLE Step 1

one more query sir. again.

plz give me some information about visa . j1 and h1b . if any other . that also. waiting for ur answer. will be thankful.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

J1 visa is a exchange visa and is valid for a maximum for seven years during which you continuously have to be training like residency or fellowship. you have to return to India for two years following your study period or try to get a waiver by working in a under served area in the US and you dont need step 3 for that application.
H1b is a work VISA for which you have no bonds but need step 3 and is tougher to get.
Hope this helps.

arunsharma385385
Aim USMLE Step 1

thank you sir for answering.

i wish u all the best for your interviews.
i will be asking more information after u have cleared ur interviews.

again, THANK YOU very much. icon_smile.gif

esther303
Aim USMLE Step 1

hello sir,thank you for ur guidance..i passed mbbs in 2009,did my diploma in ophthalmology2015.preparing for step 1 now.will my year of graduation be relaxed as i did my diploma.im not planning to b in opthal though.worried about matching as i passed in 2009 nd will b able to apply for matching by 2016 sep.kindly guide me

ahiban
Aim NEET-SS

How to prepare for step 2? i wud like to give step 2 first, what are the best study material.?

sidzonadrenaline

hi , i have a basic question , i have heard about 2015 being a water shed year , after which getting into USA will become difficult for IMG as the number of UG and PG seats there will become equal... is this true or just a rumour ??
PLEASE CLARIFY .
thanks icon_smile.gif

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hi
You're right you having finished your MBBS 2009 can be a problem but since you were continuously at work with your diploma it should not be that big a problem.
Can you tell me you're time line then we can plan better for your match application.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

esther303 wrote:
hello sir,thank you for ur guidance..i passed mbbs in 2009,did my diploma in ophthalmology2015.preparing for step 1 now.will my year of graduation be relaxed as i did my diploma.im not planning to b in opthal though.worried about matching as i passed in 2009 nd will b able to apply for matching by 2016 sep.kindly guide me

Hi
You're right you having finished your MBBS 2009 can be a problem but since you were continuously at work with your diploma it should not be that big a problem.
Can you tell me you're time line then we can plan better for your match application.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

sidzonadrenaline wrote:
hi , i have a basic question , i have heard about 2015 being a water shed year , after which getting into USA will become difficult for IMG as the number of UG and PG seats there will become equal... is this true or just a rumour ??
PLEASE CLARIFY .
thanks icon_smile.gif

Well let me say this much, what ever the number of US graduates, foreign grads form a very important part of the US health system and if your application is complete with good scores then you will always match.
The match this year also was close to 50% in various specialities.
So don't worry and march on.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

ahiban wrote:
How to prepare for step 2? i wud like to give step 2 first, what are the best study material.?

Uworld and MTB are a must and depending on your clinical years in MBBS you may or may not need Kaplan.
Good luck.

avinash1671987

HI..

could you please tell me what is the minimum time required to finish all steps?

the ideal timeline for a person who has finished mbbs.

thank you !

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

avinash1671987 wrote:
HI..

thank you !

Well you can take 4 months for step 1 and step 2 ck each and 1 month for step 2 cs, even if you add another month or two, you should be done in 10-12 months.
March - graduate
July- step 1
December - step 2 ck
March- step 2 cs
July- apply for residency
You can do observerships between March and December.

Good luck

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

avinash1671987 wrote:
HI..

thank you !

Well you can take 4 months for step 1 and step 2 ck each and 1 month for step 2 cs, even if you add another month or two, you should be done in 10-12 months.
March - graduate
July- step 1
December - step 2 ck
March- step 2 cs
July- apply for residency
You can do observerships between March and December.

Good luck

avinash1671987

hey thanks a lot for the prompt reply

I have finished my DNB general surgery and i was thinking of either doing fellowships in US or maybe pursue cardiac surgery .

do you think i can get away without doing an observership since i ve done my PG ?

and do you think doing a year in some research in US might help my case?

thank you

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

avinash1671987 wrote:
hey thanks a lot for the prompt reply

I have finished my DNB general surgery and i was thinking of either doing fellowships in US or maybe pursue cardiac surgery .

do you think i can get away without doing an observership since i ve done my PG ?

and do you think doing a year in some research in US might help my case?

thank you

Hi
I think the question of observerships is just for LoRs, if you can get them then I don't see the need for a observership.
But its true that doing research or observership will help you get in touch with a lot of people and will improve your prospects for a cardiac surgery fellowship.

pavankumarchalla
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

hi
I am preparing for step 1.recently i have lost my original mbbs degree certificate..i am applying for a duplicate degree certificate..will it be a problem for usmle...will they reject ..please allay my fears

pavankumarchalla
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

pavankumarchalla wrote:
hi
I am preparing for step 1.recently i have lost my original mbbs degree certificate..i am applying for a duplicate degree certificate..will it be a problem for usmle...will they reject ..please allay my fears
...i have not yet registered for usmle

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

pavankumarchalla wrote:
hi

Don't worry it will not be a problem, whatever replacement degree you get will surely suffice.
The ECFMG generally does not cause such prolems.

pavankumarchalla
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

thanks a lot...good to hear this..

GouthamBablu

about LORs
how can we get dem without observershps/externships/any clinical experience in the US??

GouthamBablu

does step 2 cs require a fast and perfect computer typing skill?

GouthamBablu

Electives Vs Externships??
its cost
time taken
which is preferred
will we be paid during the period
is it legal
LORs
how to get into one of them-like websites/official sites for that etc etc

mayacassis

I have USMLE planned as a backup option if I do not get through PG in this coming year. I am a very old graduate. Due to severe family tensions and problems, I did not work or write exams for years in between. I graduated in 2003. I worked till 2006 and then I had to stop. Now Since three years again I am giving exams. If I don't clear the Indian pg, would there be a chance for me in US, if I start working really hard? I am confused about my career options at this point. I have my sister in the US right now, which is the one of the main reasons why I thought of keeping USMLE as a backup option. Please guide me, i will be very grateful. I have been in this hold for years now.

pg_18
Aim MD

Re: completed all steps ( 1+ck+cs ) of MLE with scores above 240, ask me anything
scared wrote:
Hello guys

If you have any doubts please feel free to ask and will try to help you with what I have learnt.

i am an indian undergraduate n absolutely confused abt usmle .. can u please give me some basic concepts pertaining to usmle like
list of colleges under it???
when a medico is eligible for step 1 2 n 3 ???
when is the most appropriate time to give step 1 2n3 ??
what all sub. should be studied for step 1,2 n 3 ???
wht is the concept behind this "match"thing???
how to prepare for each step...???
when i'll be able to study in any listed MD college AFTER STEP 1 OR STEP 2 OR STEP 3???
wht are the other good options for completing MD out of india???

PS
thanks for helping out in this way..... was really in need of such posts
n spare me for any stupid que. in any

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

Re: completed all steps ( 1+ck+cs ) of MLE with scores above 240, ask me anything
pg_18 wrote:
scared wrote:
Hello guys

i am an indian undergraduate n absolutely confused abt usmle .. can u please give me some basic concepts pertaining to usmle like
list of colleges under it???
when a medico is eligible for step 1 2 n 3 ???
when is the most appropriate time to give step 1 2n3 ??
what all sub. should be studied for step 1,2 n 3 ???
wht is the concept behind this "match"thing???
how to prepare for each step...???
when i'll be able to study in any listed MD college AFTER STEP 1 OR STEP 2 OR STEP 3???
wht are the other good options for completing MD out of india???

PS
thanks for helping out in this way..... was really in need of such posts
n spare me for any stupid que. in any

Hi
I will take one question at a time

1. All of the places in the US accept USMLE scores.
2. You are eligible to give USMLE step 1 and 2 during MBBS and step 3 after graduation.
3. The appropriate time it step 1 in third year and step 2 ck and cs internship.
4. step 1 - first and second year subjects.
step 2 ck- third and final year subjects.
5. "Match" thing is you rank the universities where you interveiwed and those universities also rank you, so when you select the university and the university selects you, it is called the "Match'.
6. Once you complete your step 1 , step 2 ck and step 2 cs, you become certified by the "Education commission for foreign medical graduate". You can then start your residency and take step 3 during residency.
7. In India good options are AIIMS, PGI, NIMHANS, CMC, St Johns and one or two colleges in each state.

Kindly consider my above reply, consult other people and decide whether you want to do USMLE or Indian PG.
Once you decide I will help you to the best of my abilities in preparing for MLE.
Good luck

cooler_doc
Aim MRCP Part 1

documents help needed
hello scared thanks a lot for your time and efforts .. I have a few queries

1)my medical college is a bit far from where i am now . I am planning to take step 1 in a few months time .. can you tell me what documents you needed from the medical college for all steps combined so that i can get it done in one shot ..

2) does clinical clerkships in the step 1 IWA application means the details of all the rotation we underwent at medical college ?

3) date of graduation and date of diploma the same??

Regards

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

Re: documents help needed
cooler_doc wrote:
hello scared thanks a lot for your time and efforts .. I have a few queries

1)my medical college is a bit far from where i am now . I am planning to take step 1 in a few months time .. can you tell me what documents you needed from the medical college for all steps combined so that i can get it done in one shot ..

2) does clinical clerkships in the step 1 IWA application means the details of all the rotation we underwent at medical college ?

3) date of graduation and date of diploma the same??

Regards

Hi
1. you only need your dean to sign your form 186 and give you a leeter stating that you have completed all requirements to be awarded your degree and then post it on behalf of your college along with other forms and two photo copies of your provisional degree which don't need any college attestation .
Next send them a copy of your original degree as soon as you get it.
The ECFMG will then send a formal request to your college for verification of your degree and a transcript. This is has to be replied to by your college, you can help them by posting it for your college.
2. The clinical clerkship means have you done any elective in the US , not our internship or rotations.
3. Yes the date of graduation is the date of receiving the diploma.

cooler_doc
Aim MRCP Part 1

thanks a lot scared but i have finished my MBBS in 2007 .. so is it still the form 186 and the copies of the mbbs degree certificate only ?

so i do not have to mention my clinical rotation in the application online for male step 1 right?

what is a transcript needed for and when ?

kanishk22
Aim Other

hello sir,
i'm a bit confused about the step 3 CS, Can you please brief me of the step. ?
How is it ?
Patients ?
Time period ?
when is the best time to git this step ?

herculese
Aim PLAB Part 1

Will we get any stipend during residancy? Wil u please answer ?

jeevaroyan24
Aim AIPGE 2014

are ther any specific classes for usmle preparation?

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

kanishk22 wrote:
hello sir,
i'm a bit confused about the step 3 CS, Can you please brief me of the step. ?
How is it ?
Patients ?
Time period ?
when is the best time to git this step ?

Its a 8 hour exam, with 12 cases and 15 min on each history and PE and 10 min for typing.
The patients are actors.
you can give this step anytime, no particular time.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

jeevaroyan24 wrote:
are ther any specific classes for usmle preparation?

yes there are many , just google it.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

herculese wrote:
Will we get any stipend during residancy? Wil u please answer ?

Yes , you get a stipend of $4000-6000/ month.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

cooler_doc wrote:
thanks a lot scared but i have finished my MBBS in 2007 .. so is it still the form 186 and the copies of the mbbs degree certificate only ?

so i do not have to mention my clinical rotation in the application online for male step 1 right?

what is a transcript needed for and when ?

yes those are the two documents you need ( form 186 and medical diploma)
no clinical rotation
your college will have to post your transcript in reply to a post from the ECFMG which will contain all instructions on how to proceed.

scared
Aim USMLE Step 1

GouthamBablu wrote:
does step 2 cs require a fast and perfect computer typing skill?

No it does not, it just requires some practice and you can google " USMLE Step 2 cs templete" that is how it looks, you can practice there.

srikrishnan75
Aim AIIMS

hi i am in final year MBBS now.I am interested in studying pg in usa.what are the courses available without USMLE?

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> Completed all steps ( 1+ck+cs ) of MLE with scores above 240, ask me anything

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 15 years
1,564 active members | 4,587 posts

Topic ID #283002
Started 4 years ago
32 community credits
68 contributors
151 posts | 49,344 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 81 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 1.628 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook