RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - Study tips for final year mbbs(8th term)  
 Page 1 of 1

shreeveera

STUDY TIPS FOR FINAL YEAR MBBS(8TH TERM)
HI EVERYONE CAN ANYONE PLEASE POST SOME STUDY TIPS TO PREPARE FOR THE GRAND FINALE(FINAL MBBS EXAMS)....IS DAVIDSON THE BEST BOOK FOR EXAM POINT OF VIEW OR SHOULD I READ GEORGE MATHEW????? icon_sad.gif

UNANSWERED: Creating separate cadre for mbbs in teaching faculty in medical colleges as tutors / demonstrators.

vlbedoc
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

i would say keep george mathew as ur basic book.. its great for writing answers from.. and its a combination of all davidson, harrison etc..

you may do major topics like DM, MI, Epilepsy, Br. Asthma from the big books as these are the most imp of the topics and are sureshot questions, so if you quote from books like davidson n harrison, you know the examiners become happy..

but realise one thing, final yr goes off really fast.. so you need to keep pace and keep a realistic perspective...

you cant remember everything thats given in davidson.. GM is concise and to the point.. and great from exam point of view..

also, check out some class notes or other notes that are passed down from the seniors.. sometimes you get very well written topics from these too..

gud luck!

subha
Aim AIPGE 2013

well me 2 in 8th sem. thanks 4 ur tips. what about ortopaedics? will maheswari do? teachers telling not enough so confused...

vlbedoc
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

well for UG level, maheshwari is pretty good.. u dont need more than that for ortho..
see if you got some class notes or notes from seniors as well ...

xenixmacos

ortho
I have personally found ebnezar to be a more interesting read than maheshwari. Why don't you check it out in your library, compare the two and decide?

tinyrekhoo
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

HIIII ALL...........

i jus stepped into my final year............classes havent started yet...........but me really really nervous.................all the years i hav postponed work on one thought- that i will study in the final year............, n nw the time has come............i hav always been an average student.........not giving much importance to exams........but my basics arent strong........i knw nothing properly...........n nw i duno if i shud b revising my basics first or study vaguely the final year subjects only...............i m really confused........is it possible if i start right today, with the final year subjects and still read basics as n wen possible...............can i still finish the portions in time ???
plz advice................the tension is killing me.........i dont know wer to start ???

Priyamvada
Aim MRCGP

Don't worry so much about the basics;start reading final year books and subjects first ,use the textbooks,not the short books as u have just entered in the final year,usually all the basics needed are given at the start of each chapter in the finalmbbs textbooks,and no- body is able to remember each and everything from previous years and even not each and everything is needed..
Refer previous year textbooks/related part/topics in ,which u have already used and marked, only when, you feel that u r not understanding at all; as u r not rembering the basics/the basics given in final mbbs texbook are not understandable..then only refer the previous year texbook and only the related part,not each and every line..So don't worry and all the best for your studies!

xenixmacos

shout
Hmm- in your situation tinyrekhoo- i would suggest at least 3 rounds of reading of the texts with notes prepared too.. you have time to do that..don't worry. I don't think any would -be doctor is thorough with his/her basics when they enter final yr.. they can only recall so much!.. repeated reading and systematics is what you need- and that too - of the final year books- if you start reading previous books- you'll end up panicking.

tinyrekhoo
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

thanx a billion priyamvada mam and xenixmacos Sir !!!................that has actually calmed me down a bit.................i will bear in mind each piece advice given by U both.....and start working accordingly.......thanx a lot once again.........cud you bith plz advice me on the text books for medicine and surgery.........also plz give me a deadline by which i shud hav finished atleast one read of the four subjects...i mean a rough idea about the plan as to how to go about.............i shall be greatful.......and any other advice u think is worth stating , its always welcome.........

Priyamvada
Aim MRCGP

for medicine I will suggest devidson as it is simple too read , rember and understand,having required basics with lot of attractive diagrams and charts,and it can be easly read also before the exams;Harrison is Huge,that much details are not required for the UG period,u can refer charts and diagrames from harrison if u get ample of time,otherwise u read it in your internship for the entrance exam.
For the surgery, read general surgery topics like burns,shock etc from Das textbook and other systemwise topics from the Love and Belly,it also contains the basics,so don't worry about that.
for psychiatry Ahuja is better.
As previously said at least 3 readings will be required,one at the time of teaching ,one before the prelims and one in the preparatory leave before the exams!

xenixmacos

Subs
Hmm- What textbooks have you been following till now?..

I would suggest good readings of Davidson (because thats the 'standard' book). If you're the kind who'd like to go a bit more indepth into systems - then Kumar & Clark is also good. Don't waste efforts on Harrisons.

Surgery- Bailey and love is not compulsory, You can stick to smaller texts like Manipal Manual of surgery or Das- these are purely university exam oriented..

OBG- Mudaliar & Menon/Shaw were what I read, and I sailed through. I found Dutta to be a thick brick

Ortho- You can select either Maheshwari or Ebnezar- I went for ebnezar because it was a much more interesting read.

Paediatrics- OP Ghai is a must read

You should set a target of 10-12 days per subject for the first 'fast' reading- when you just go through to get a vague idea- and start highlighting important sections of the texts.

second reading- approx 15-20 days per subject- more than enough to make notes from the highlighted section earlier. this is also when you should try to 'understand what you read. Do not waste time on portions that you find really difficult,- move on to the next topics, and finish the second reading. Whatever you have read will be in your head, and you will feel lighter during subsequent readings.

Third reading - this is also a 'recall and learn ' phase - with 10-12 days per sub.

remember- not to let too many days gap in between readings - i mean dont wait for 14 days between the first reading and second reading and think "whew i can go see a LOT of movies- I've read Sooo much!1" That kinda thing will get you into trouble.

the more readings the better.

Also remember to learn at the wards, and prepare to carry out patient examinations in the time limits.

By middle of your final year- you should aim at finishing 2 readings at least (and going on the third)

by exam time- you will find yourself more at ease with the subjects- and by then since you will have your notes ready- it becomes easier.

Priyamvada
Aim MRCGP

yes ,I forgot to tell you about the Manipal.It is really a nice book from exam point of view especially its newer editions are really nice.It depends on you how much time is available to you,LB is the standard book,but really it's not compulsory, (but I find it easy to understand,and easy to remember because of its charts,phtotographs ,and easy language)or otherwise u can read LB and Manipal at the same time, prepare the notes and attach them at the same topic of Manipal and use manipal including your notes before the exams.Many students in our college used to study by this way.

xenixmacos

priyamvada which college did you study in?

demo5601
Aim MCh

people davidson is needed and do harrisons for pg entrance.
surg- bailey and love
obg- dutta both
paeds - op ghai

tinyrekhoo
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

thanx again priyamvada, xenixmacos, and demo5601..................thanx alot .....nw i know how important it is to manage time and also the rate at which i shall proceed.............this way i wont have to learn it the hard way............i better get to work............i will follow the books as suggested by you...........will get back to you as soon as i get stuck again...........thanx again.......

diablokid2
Aim CMC - Vellore

u STOP BROWSING START STUDYING. U
ASS

xenixmacos

aww
icon_biggrin.gif Solid piece of advice to tinyrekhoo mate!- but rekhoo's confused, and since all of us have been in similar situations- it does good to ask and be advised.

suvz
Aim MCh

well it seems someone has left final years studies for the last moment in 8th and 9th sem........

in that case..........mug up George matthews......keep aside davidson and harrison..........for pg you can study them in internship...........plus mud up the emergency medicine questions like mgmt og status epilelticus/status asthmaticus/snake bite/ARF/MI and others..........

surgery stick to manipal notes........DAS will be too much to cover.............

ortho............maheswari more than enough.......

obg............obstetrics----------dutta rulz............
for Gynac..........shaw plus for some peculiar topics like amatomy/surgeries/mgmt of primary and secondary infertility/tretment regime for carcinoma eg cervical...etc..........refer dutts gynac,better get a copy of these topics

paeds op ghai...............if you dont have time then first six chapters of ghai plus last 5years question paper is enough...........remember for shortcut....mgmt for pediatrics case are similar to mgmt of cases in adult medicine..........just divide the adult dose by 2 while writing the answers......

DO NOT PANIC at any cost..........tough a lot of time generally gets wasted through internals in these two semesters...............

You MUST solve last 5 years Q paper both regular and odd batches as nearly 75% become common .......... by solving i dont mean you sit down and time yourself in trying to solve tha paper and freak yourself out...............grab hold of the papers and mark the topics in the respective chapters and stress on it...........and go throught it before exams.........

About writing dosage BE 100% SURE before writing.....at UG level you are not expected to know all the doses.........but if you write the wrong doses your marks will be deducted.........in that case just mention the drug to be on the safer side........

well many people may disagree with me........but i think this should be sufficient in fetching you more than 55% in theory....................

core
Aim DM Critical Care Medicine

hey d last 1 is really an eye opener..... icon_eek.gif

thrishi

thanks to all for ur valuble suggestions..... its was an eye opener...

drkool129

Dont waste time here dude. Ask ur senior they wl give u best d advice. See every colez has diffrnt trends of question just follow those trends n u i m sure u wl get thru. All d best

suvz
Aim MCh

as drkool129 was saying better catch hold of some useful senior and take advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mine holds good for all colleges coming under RAJIV GANDHI UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES!!!!!!! at MBBS PART3 PHASE TO EXAMS.....i.e, your FINAL UNIVERSITY EXAMS!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif

helpmepassplease

eat well, sleep well, study well

Cunningham's Manual of Practical Anatomy
Completely redesigned in an attractive new format, this popular three-volume manual provides students and practitioners with a comprehensive guide to human anatomy and a dissection guide recognized throughout the world.
 Page 1 of 1
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> MBBS -> Study tips for final year mbbs(8th term)

MBBS Community
RxPG community for 19 years
2,878 active members | 10,362 posts

Topic ID #91340
Started 13 years ago
2 community credits
13 contributors
23 posts | 100,136 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 182 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 3.705 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook