RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - For newbies thinking/preparing for USMLE  
 Page 1 of 5 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

lovarts

For newbies thinking/preparing for USMLE
Hey all,

All the freshers , lets gather here. Becoz with all the posts old and new in the forum its easy to get lost.

So calling all the newbies , who are planning or just started Step 1 preps....

Here we will.
1. Try to help with each other with general querries
2.Study Materials
3.Study partners...

Plz give a quick intro also.

--- I am Dr.D from Kerala. Just decided for USMLE. Starting preps soon. Now collecting materials..

UNANSWERED: Anyone wants to buy my Uworld Subscription?

luckycharm

dr B
hi this is dr B ... nice to meet u dr d ... good idea
i have started just now say 15 days ago... my friends who have already prepared for the xam are helping me out. i have started with biochemistry and pathology... bio was my weak subj in premed and patho is my fav...

luckycharm

is there any 1 who has not studied in kaplan and got good scores in USMLE or am i the only one who is trying to set an example... if any 1 plz i need ur guidance

up16f4299

sound good
for me its like a new start going back to books after long gap
presently i have started eith physiology kaplan notes

luckycharm

hi up16f... is physio ur subj of choice.. did u join kaplan r doing it without them.. what is ur study time table
i mean how many days have u dedicated to physio
by the way when r u planning to write the xam. my friends were telling me to write b4 september so that i can apply for this years match.
what abt u dr D what r ur plans...

tejendra
Aim Other

hi everyone... its a good idea to start this new thread for new takers.. well, m an intern frm gujarat decided to do usmle few days back.. started collecting materials online... nd wil start studying vry soon..

luckycharm

tejendra welcome to the painstaking journey

tejendra
Aim Other

thankss lucky charm...but after passin thru this painstakin journey, it ll give us good fruits... icon_biggrin.gif so lets aim high... n get set go.. icon_smile.gif

luckycharm

so tej which subject have u started and which fruit are u aimin for

tejendra
Aim Other

welll i ve not yet started... busy in social works... will start within a week..but i ve downloaded quite a few materials frm net of mle... when r u plannin to give step 1?

shrenik_talsania

where can i find the DVD for preps of step 1

lovarts

Its good to see you all guys.....

Yea i know a few, who matched without going to Kaplan, But they studied the Kaplan material for sure.

I hrd its Kaplan, Kaplan and Kaplan

lovarts

And hey Dr.B , i havent qt started yet, collecting materials and all. Planning to prepare by myslef (cutting out coaching). So going for Kaplan Notes and First Aid.
Will start preparation by few weeks. I got throung this all india and chose MD at stanley. So busy with admission process. Once i m settled i m gonna start full fledged. I promise icon_smile.gif

So here is the 2k9 list

Dr.B
Dr.Tejendra
Dr.up16f
Dr.D

And i think it will be a good idea if we form an orkut group besides this post, for live exchange and all. Wot u say guys?

luckycharm

hey dr L congrats... right now im persuing dnb gen med from apollo, i have also secured rank in appg and my counselling is due tomorrow hope i may get some para clinicals. since u have started this thread we willl call u boss... and since u have probably better rank than us u will be our mentor and team leader... right boss
i hope others agree wid me

luckycharm

i have started the holy granth robbins... vascular system probably will finish it by today and then to vijaywada... will be back by 28th hopefully wid some gud news... pray for me guys

luckycharm

boss im going marketing will try to rope in some more team

tejendra
Aim Other

yes BOSS..!! u r right ,. v should form an orkut group..and good luck luckycharm..!!

thelongandwindingroad

Hi everyone , count me in too .
Had been preparing inermittently since last year , but finaly got in the groove this month > M progressing at a brisk pace . Hope to give the exam in july/august .

Am following the advice of my senior who got 99 and 95 . A combination of Kaplan notes , first Aid and a few other books .

lovarts

Hey Stop calling me that icon_smile.gif

ht+tp://w+w+w.orku+t.co+.in/Main#Community.aspx?cmm=87263670

Here our community and we ill get know each each other in real soon. Please remove all "+" in the above add. Or just open any community and substitute 87263670 in the end.

lovarts

And plz excuse me for the delay ...coz i m held up with the college changing and all icon_sad.gif
Welcom the longwinding road . icon_smile.gif How truue

And lucky charm wishin you all the gud luck ...

d

insatiable
Aim Delhi PG

hey nice start i must say.:)after a long time ..some hope...
@lovarts all the very best for your admission process...so how come mle after getting thru aipg?kinda confused icon_sad.gif...
@luckycharm...all the best to you as well, and will you pursue usmle if u get a seat ???

lovarts

welcome dear insatiable,
MLE was always there in mind. Attempted AIPGE, by gods grace and coz of the particular pattern of exam this time (it turned out to be good for me) i got through with an ok rank. So tuk medicine, which i love most and is beneficial for the preps.

But the advantages and disadvantages of having a PG weighs out equally. So it doesnt matter at all.

So if you are into MLE, nothing else matters. Nothings else, Its a plunge and before doing it you should think a lot. A lot. Its a courageous step, but equally risky too.....for your time and money!

So i hope all the 2k9 takers (including me) are a bunch of well informed guys icon_smile.gif

And hey plz join the orkut group mentined above. For sharing study materials and all

AND LETS MAKE SURE THAT THIS GROUP ALWAYS STAYS FOCUSED ........and not to deviate much with unnecessary discussions and all. Core to MLE, solid !

insatiable
Aim Delhi PG

hey hi....yeah quite true ..requires immense patience..i guess 2009 match aint approachable for us rite?? when are u planning to take the first step?? mighty congratulations ya for the medicine seat!! must say commendable, considering the state it is these days...i tried but well, wasn;t enough i guess...so thought its better to focus in one direction ..
but i know it will take a very very long course of time..
have sent a request to orkut...
by my acct name i.e..... just giving u the initials here to make it convenient...[icon_smile.gif]...Dr.A ..r...
hope that helps...i'd say privacy sake [icon_smile.gif]

spirit
Aim NEET PG

hi i'm also plnng to give it dis yr.
its gud 2 hear frm u guys ....m studin kaplan nd all d major books.
plz keep d thread goin.

dramy
Aim NEET PG

hey guys..finally we ve a site for newbies like us!!
even i took pg thru state pg..[actually had nt expected to get thru as id already enrolled for usmle]!!
ive taken the aug sept slot....
u think all india prep will help for givin step 1 or we need more time?

dramy
Aim NEET PG

lovarts wrote:
welcome dear insatiable,
MLE was always there in mind. Attempted <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum2.html">AIPGE</a>
, by gods grace and coz of the particular pattern of exam this time (it turned out to be good for me) i got through with an ok rank. So tuk medicine, which i love most and is beneficial for the preps.

But the advantages and disadvantages of having a PG weighs out equally. So it doesnt matter at all.

So if you are into MLE, nothing else matters. Nothings else, Its a plunge and before doing it you should think a lot. A lot. Its a courageous step, but equally risky too.....for your time and money!

So i hope all the 2k9 takers (including me) are a bunch of well informed guys icon_smile.gif

And hey plz join the orkut group mentined above. For sharing study materials and all

AND LETS MAKE SURE THAT THIS GROUP ALWAYS STAYS FOCUSED ........and not to deviate much with unnecessary discussions and all. Core to MLE, solid !

hey cool u took medicine!! congrats!!
r u planning to give ur step this yr? n how r u goin to manage
studyin n pg together..wont be dat too hectic as ive heard 1st yr pg s r always kept on their toes[ even i got a seat but dont know how to manage both] icon_smile.gif

dramy
Aim NEET PG

lovarts wrote:
welcome dear insatiable,
MLE was always there in mind. Attempted <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum2.html">AIPGE</a>
, by gods grace and coz of the particular pattern of exam this time (it turned out to be good for me) i got through with an ok rank. So tuk medicine, which i love most and is beneficial for the preps.

studyin n pg together..wont be dat too hectic as ive heard 1st yr pg s r always kept on their toes[ even i got a seat but dont know how to manage both] icon_smile.gif

dramy
Aim NEET PG

lovarts wrote:
welcome dear insatiable,

dramy
Aim NEET PG

sorry for the repeated msgs...i dont know how they came thrice!! icon_smile.gif

jaldoc
Aim PGIMS

hello every1,
i passed out mbbs 10yrs back due to some grave family and personal probs cud not take pg exams.
now i m a bit settled and although working also but i need to do pg too.i hv started my studies for the last 6mths.
i need your guidance here for usmle and pg entrances too.,
as am left quite far of by my batch mates.
i hope i'll get some cooperation from you all.

insatiable
Aim Delhi PG

@dramy..yes i do think preparing for indian will help, atleast as they say something is better than nothing....

insatiable
Aim Delhi PG

@jaldoc its never too late to make a start, welcome ashore icon_smile.gif but first things first, you've gotto decide indian or usmle..
indian would mean giving it a 100% , and so would usmle plus the costs incurred..so you have to make up your mind.
when are you planning to give your first step?

tejendra
Aim Other

hii alll usmle takers.. pls join the orkut group mentioned by our BOSS.. icon_biggrin.gif and good luck to all those who r starting thier preparation for mle..

ri_sh
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi all,im relativley new 2 rxpg n need lil help from u guys.im in d III yr MBBS n want to start preparing for USMLE bit by bit from now.so can ul pls teme wt 2 read n wt buks 2 refer???im actually a newbie so any help from you guys will be gr8.Thanks all!!

RealMadrid
Aim MD

any1 having any queries can kindly scrap me....i ll be more than happy to help u all....

i gave my steps n got 95 n 96....not good enough but still i hope i can be of some help to u all

regards
n good luck

jaldoc
Aim PGIMS

Thanx @insatiable.
i'll take step 1 sometime in 2010, but i m lost as to how to prepare for it and is the preparation different from indian entrances.
right now i m just studying and studying and making notes of imp. points.
i dont know what kaplan and goljan are.
they are not in my city and i cant go to metros to join them.

purush
Aim Andhra Pradesh PG

hii friends...my intnship wud b just beginnin n i hav decided my bread n butter wud b mle.
hence guys need ur help...

jaldoc
Aim PGIMS

please tell me some1,
where can i buy kaplan notes and q bank from?

rehma

hi...big brothers and sisters...readng these scraps i found out that this is not a place for kids like me r suppposed to break into...brothers plz forgiv me for that...i found no one to help me abt my doubts.. if i begin with my silly doubts am sure u will get fed up i will try to minimise your suffering...i am a very average student am now4th year going on ...i wish to know abt the(i don knw even that)centres where we can write.. are there centres in south India?how much would it cost in total?brothers here the coaching is good but we dont get enough practical experience..more than that am not that good student..but am ready to hardwork..heard that we can write papers at different times..and if so which should we begin with?brothers...is there a limited number of chances?how should i decide whether to attempt for USMLEor not plz advice am in bad need of it...thanking you !

insatiable
Aim Delhi PG

@real madrid.ya guru,we sure will need your help tremendously.
firstly ther's one huge doubt about externship, have you done your electives,.or will u b going for observership/externship?if you are for the latter can you tell me, is ecfmg certification essential to do the same?
and does certification mean step1 scores+step2 scores + step 2 cs?
actually couldn't do my electives, and now am stranded,wid just the option of externship/observership

@jaldoc...where are you from, as far as i know, you mite get the books almost evrywhere these days, kaplan has opened branches at many places.but yes, you can definitely find it at the metros.you can contact the kaplan people if you want more info.

insatiable
Aim Delhi PG

@rehma
trust me, we are no better than what you are, yeah but you stil do have time, having said that, you also are in very much the rite position, try giving your 1st step by the end of your final yr, so that you have a chance of taking up an elective there, it has a lot of weightage these days.
there are centres in india, am not really sure exactly where, but i think theres a centre at bangalore, if i'm not too wrong.

insatiable
Aim Delhi PG

@jaldoc you really don't necessarily have to join kaplan, many ppl, infact mostly ppl dont.get the buks, which you will surely get at the stores, and goljan is a buk for pathology.
the preparation is not vastly different,in the sense,its essentially the same course, but yes in some aspects it is.it is more of application of the knowledge you gain rather than direct questions.it is perhaps like the aiims and pgi exam, i haven't given those, but i am guessing they are the same

lovarts

@dramy

icon_smile.gif I know, but with the info i have , the place i ve taken my PG, is kind of cool! And i am in no big hurry too. so
Actullay i would ve settled with the pg! But i dont think this beurocracy and politics will allow me icon_smile.gif I did my ug in kerala. They made me do this compulsory(!) rural service in a far off place for one year!. and when i managed to a get pg seat, there i ve to do 2 yr rural service post pg ! Or pay them more than 10lakhs... wot is it? what *ullshit.

I hav already compromised my studies and life and done one yr ***. NOw post pg i will be in some PHC again! I have no probs with Govt job, but this is not the way. Thay cant
So why should i pay 10k to these babus? Why can't i escape?

" The Young Indian is always trying for an escape route " - Some periodical, i read recently. How true.

@jaldoc -

In my opinion, its either MLE or AIPGE. Plz , not in the same boat @ the same time. I am sure of it. Focus on one only. Its a sincere request too.

@ rehma

U just thinking about the race....huh welcome. Take it slow..go through the old posts in USMLE section. Our seniors, kind enough to spare their time and effort will guide you. We are learning too.

lovarts

Well no one i know suggested me Kaplan Centers, in India.Its only beocz its not worth the price we pay. Thats all

dramy
Aim NEET PG

lovarts wrote:
@dramy

icon_smile.gif I know, but with the info i have , the place i ve taken my PG, is kind of cool! And i am in no big hurry too. so
Actullay i would ve settled with the pg! But i dont think this beurocracy and politics will allow me icon_smile.gif I did my ug in kerala. They made me do this compulsory(!) rural service in a far off place for one year!. and when i managed to a get pg seat, there i ve to do 2 yr rural service post pg ! Or pay them more than 10lakhs... wot is it? what *ullshit.

I hav already compromised my studies and life and done one yr ***. NOw post pg i will be in some PHC again! I have no probs with Govt job, but this is not the way. Thay cant
So why should i pay 10k to these babus? Why can't i escape?

" The Young Indian is always trying for an escape route " - Some periodical, i read recently. How true.

@jaldoc -

In my opinion, its either MLE or <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum2.html">AIPGE</a>
. Plz , not in the same boat @ the same time. I am sure of it. Focus on one only. Its a sincere request too.

@ rehma

U just thinking about the race....huh welcome. Take it slow..go through the old posts in <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
section. Our seniors, kind enough to spare their time and effort will guide you. We are learning too.

@lovart
i totally agree wid u...infact i got a very good rank in state pg,but thanks
to reservations i did nt get the field of my choice! and im not happy wid
the one ive taken....now i ve a choice either to join this or completely
surrender my seat n prepare 4 usmle! i know lot of ppl ve advised me
to secure a seat[ n ive the same 3 lac bond here]...but u think its
worth takin a risk n go 4 mle? im not sure if i can pull thru pg n study
4 mle together...ill get deviated !! im in a fix...

lovarts

Well I know atleast 10 people who ve matched post pg.
Some areas prefer fresh graduates, some graduates (like chicago) with work experience @ hand.
And about surrendering ur seat and all, it depends on u man icon_smile.gif Which seat u have chosen....

insatiable
Aim Delhi PG

@lovarts.. i totally agree wid boss, the whole system is rotting itself from within..anyway, yeah joining kaplan isn;t that great an option if you can manage studying. end of the day you have to,even there, all they give u is a computer and the cd ,both of which you get outside these days, al you hv to do is some research work, which is essential in this field.
n yes as boss said, tryin to do both is like "....na ghar ka na ghaat ka "..rest we all know:)

dabs
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hi all... Saw the newbie thread and decided to join in. I am in london but due to family issues have not practiced for quite a long time. Anyways,finally re-entering medicine, I have decided to do plab first as passing it one can start working and at least earning some money, then the sept MRCP1 to at least prop up my CV and then the USMLE step 1 in the Oct - Dec window as they both deal with the basics.

dabs
Aim USMLE Step 1

Using Kaplan books,Goljan pathology, First aid or medessentials, DVD's hopefully if one can buy them and a few other necessary books. I have decided that too many sources means master of none. Instead I will get the recognised resources and master them tailoring and adjusting my needs according to question website feedback. Plan is to start in time with a timetable and definite exam date in mind. Motto - Fail to plan, plan to fail but all things are possible with God... even the elusive 99!!!

insatiable
Aim Delhi PG

@dabs
some positivity i must say, commendable icon_smile.gif..
yes sticking to the basics is what is needed, no point being a jack of all trades and a master of none!

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> For newbies thinking/preparing for USMLE

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 16 years
1,568 active members | 4,592 posts

Topic ID #95547
Started 11 years ago
70 contributors
208 posts | 75,607 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 104 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 5.631 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook