RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features


RxPG :: View topic - Radiology career in usa  
 Page 1 of 1
Author Message

iwannabagmypgnow
Aim NONE

radiology career in usa
Hi frends!! I attended one interactive advertising session for usmle conducted a few years back.
In dat dey discussed sthg lyk if v do md radiology in india v needn hav to do usmle n v can jus write american board exams and practise...
I have tried to verify the info since den but in vain.
Does anybody have any knowledge abt dis..
Kindly clear my doubt...
Thank you in advance

UNANSWERED: AIIMS VS USMLE

iwannabagmypgnow
Aim NONE

Somebody pls reply n help me out guys... Please


iwannabagmypgnow
Aim NONE

Anybody out der who can help me plz:-(


iwannabagmypgnow
Aim NONE

Anybody out der who can help me plz:-(


iwannabagmypgnow
Aim NONE

Someone reply


fionashrek


you have to clear usmle mandatory steps and then pnly canyou practise...many of myseniors after radio cleared usmle for their fellowships abroad


paedia2005
Aim USMLE Step 2 CS

It is not that easy.You will have to pass all steps with very high score.


Devspatel
Aim NEET-PG 2012

Confuse radio /ortho Due to fellowship?
Means After completio of md / dnb radio here..you can apply for falloship ther with 2 step of usmle/??

and on the end of fellowship ,I have to came back or o can practice in us as MD radio???

They make any prefference in md RAdio / DNB radio??


Please reply as soon as possible because i got 256 in dnb and expecting good one in neet and i m confuse between MS ORTHO and DNB RADIO ??


harishperi
Aim AFMC

Hi...The query ur asking for is absolutely correct....This is known as Alternate Pathway for IMGs in Radiology....due to shortage of radiologists in US this has been employed.....For this

1. U need to have completed MCI verified MD Radiology in India or DNB Radiology

2. U need to clear ur USMLE

3. Then u apply for fellowships like IR, neuroradiology, breast imaging etc....These fellowships vary from 1-2 yrs duration

4. If u want to practise as a radiologist in the US, u need to be board certified, for which u r eligible after 4 yrs of training in ONLY ONE SPECIFIC institution

5. so after after completion of ur fellowship u have 2 yrs left in which u either can do another fellowship, or u can join as a faculty, but mind u in the same institution.....

6. After completion of 4 yrs u become board eligible wrote ur exams , qualify become board certified and then practise as a radiologist....


usresidencymatch
Aim USMLE Jobs

harishperi wrote:
Hi...The query ur asking for is absolutely correct....This is known as Alternate Pathway for IMGs in Radiology....due to shortage of radiologists in US this has been employed.....For this

1. U need to have completed MCI verified MD Radiology in India or DNB Radiology

2. U need to clear ur USMLE

3. Then u apply for fellowships like IR, neuroradiology, breast imaging etc....These fellowships vary from 1-2 yrs duration

4. If u want to practise as a radiologist in the US, u need to be board certified, for which u r eligible after 4 yrs of training in ONLY ONE SPECIFIC institution

5. so after after completion of ur fellowship u have 2 yrs left in which u either can do another fellowship, or u can join as a faculty, but mind u in the same institution.....

6. After completion of 4 yrs u become board eligible wrote ur exams , qualify become board certified and then practise as a radiologist....


THis is absollutely correct!


iwannabagmypgnow
Aim NONE

Thank you very much harishperi.... Is dis applicable nly fir radiology... Any other subject wid dis same alternative pathway??


iwannabagmypgnow
Aim NONE

Thank you very much harishperi.... Is dis applicable nly fir radiology... Any other subject wid dis same alternative pathway??


harishperi
Aim AFMC

As per the current scenario....only applicable for RADIOLOGY


klmno
Aim NEET-PG

hi.... sir going 4 USMLE aftr cmpleting indian PG does add any advantage or it's jst the same as 4 MBBS... especially in context of ms ortho or md patho....


adytia
Aim Surgery

hi,what if i do my MD Radio in any other country other than India,like China/Ukraine?any European country.. Am i still eligible to apply for fellowship (after clearing USMLE)


harishperi
Aim AFMC

Here are the full details

ALTERNATE PATHWAYS
The Alternate pathway is available at institutions with an ACGME-accreditedresidency
training program and requires the sponsorship of the department chair of the institution in
which the IMG is a faculty member or fellow. The department chair establishes a
prospective four-year plan with the individual, attests to the plan in writing to the ABR, and
monitors and reports to the ABR on a yearly basis the individual IMG’s progress on the path
to certification. The required admission process to the alternate pathway to ABR
certification is (1) documentation of training and certification obtained internationally, as
described on the ABR website at; and (2)
submission of the completed and signed form, “Sponsoring Department Agreement: IMG
Alternate Pathway for Diagnostic Radiology Certification” [link to form]. An application fee is
required.
The ABR retains the right and responsibilityto exercise Board discretion concerning
the request of any individual to enter the examination process.
Alternate Pathwayto Diagnostic Radiology Certification
The IMG must serve four continuous years as a full-time member of the department in any
combination of the following categories: resident, ACGME-accreditedfellowship, nonaccredited fellowship, or faculty.
Alternate Pathwayto Subspecialty Certification (formerly“Certificate of Added
Qualifications, of CAQ”) in neuroradiology, nuclear radiology, pediatric radiology,
and vascular and interventional radiologyfor international medical graduates
Alternate Pathwayto Subspecialty(“CAQ”) Certification
ABR diagnostic radiology certification, followed by a two-year faculty appointment with fulltime clinical responsibility in the subspecialty area, at a single institution with an ACGMEaccredited fellowship training program in the area of subspecialty certification desired
provides for entry to the ABR subspecialty certification examination. If the clinical
responsibility is less than full time, the years to certification may, at the ABR’s discretion, be
modified accordingly.
Note: U.S. graduates with ABR diagnostic radiologycertification are also eligible
for the alternate pathwayto subspecialtycertification.


iwannabagmypgnow
Aim NONE

thank u so much dr. harishperi


harishperi
Aim AFMC

ur welcome


dr98642
Aim NEET PG

usresidencymatch wrote:
harishperi wrote:
Hi...The query ur asking for is absolutely correct....This is known as Alternate Pathway for IMGs in Radiology....due to shortage of radiologists in US this has been employed.....For this

1. U need to have completed MCI verified MD Radiology in India or DNB Radiology

2. U need to clear ur USMLE

3. Then u apply for fellowships like IR, neuroradiology, breast imaging etc....These fellowships vary from 1-2 yrs duration

4. If u want to practise as a radiologist in the US, u need to be board certified, for which u r eligible after 4 yrs of training in ONLY ONE SPECIFIC institution

5. so after after completion of ur fellowship u have 2 yrs left in which u either can do another fellowship, or u can join as a faculty, but mind u in the same institution.....

6. After completion of 4 yrs u become board eligible wrote ur exams , qualify become board certified and then practise as a radiologist....


THis is absollutely correct!


thanks


harishperi
Aim AFMC

icon_smile.gif


iwannabagmypgnow
Aim NONE

Hi wat s d process v shud follow if we want to do anaesthesia or paediatrics in us??


xaxis1
Aim General

usmle must
s u av to clear usmle evnthou u r MDRD in india..


samind
Aim NEET PG

I am an mbbs.Is clearing usmle and doing a four year residenship in radiology enough to get certified by the board.


mukulroy
Aim USMLE Step 1

hello...
I wanted to know if the same applies for fellowship in radiation oncology in US as well after DNB radiation oncology from india??? Someone plzzz hellpppp....
I am soooo lost


harishperi
Aim AFMC

hello as of now it is applicable for radiology ,regarding others here is a link which says we can apply for orthopaedics paediatrics and oncology but not sure how authentic this information is


bionano


harishperi wrote:
Here are the full details

ALTERNATE PATHWAYS
The Alternate pathway is available at institutions with an ACGME-accreditedresidency
training program and requires the sponsorship of the department chair of the institution in
which the IMG is a faculty member or fellow. The department chair establishes a
prospective four-year plan with the individual, attests to the plan in writing to the ABR, and
monitors and reports to the ABR on a yearly basis the individual IMG’s progress on the path
to certification. The required admission process to the alternate pathway to ABR
certification is (1) documentation of training and certification obtained internationally, as
described on the ABR website at; and (2)
submission of the completed and signed form, “Sponsoring Department Agreement: IMG
Alternate Pathway for Diagnostic Radiology Certification” [link to form]. An application fee is
required.
The ABR retains the right and responsibilityto exercise Board discretion concerning
the request of any individual to enter the examination process.
Alternate Pathwayto Diagnostic Radiology Certification
The IMG must serve four continuous years as a full-time member of the department in any
combination of the following categories: resident, ACGME-accreditedfellowship, nonaccredited fellowship, or faculty.
Alternate Pathwayto Subspecialty Certification (formerly“Certificate of Added
Qualifications, of CAQ”) in neuroradiology, nuclear radiology, pediatric radiology,
and vascular and interventional radiologyfor international medical graduates
Alternate Pathwayto Subspecialty(“CAQ”) Certification
ABR diagnostic radiology certification, followed by a two-year faculty appointment with fulltime clinical responsibility in the subspecialty area, at a single institution with an ACGMEaccredited fellowship training program in the area of subspecialty certification desired
provides for entry to the ABR subspecialty certification examination. If the clinical
responsibility is less than full time, the years to certification may, at the ABR’s discretion, be
modified accordingly.
Note: U.S. graduates with ABR diagnostic radiologycertification are also eligible
for the alternate pathwayto subspecialtycertification.



Is it possible to certify in a subspeciality WITHOUT diagnostic radiology certification through alternate pathway?


mahenderkumar
Aim AIIMS

Take a look at these details.

An international medical graduate (IMG) is defined as an individual trained in a Diagnostic Radiology program outside the U.S., its territories, or Canada.
As an IMG, you must demonstrate the following to be considered as a candidate for certification by the American Board of Radiology:

You have satisfied the training requirements of a non-U.S., non-Canadian country.
You have documentation verifying your ability to practice radiology independently in your country of training or have received board certification in your country (if applicable).
You have had one year of clinical training.
If you have trained in India, you must have the following degrees to be eligible for the alternate pathway: M.B.B.S. + D.N.B. and/or M.D. If you have another set of degrees from India, a sponsoring department agreement (SDA) must have been received by the ABR by 12/31/2011 for you to be eligible for this pathway. Holders of other degrees from India will not be eligible for ABR certification via the alternate pathway.
The board will assess your status relative to ABR policies and alternative pathways toward board certification (see policy) only after receipt of the following documents:

Current, detailed curriculum vitae with specific dates of all training

Verification of
Medical school training
One year of clinical training
Radiology residency training
Radiology certification (if applicable)
Radiology training appointment and/or full-time faculty/fellowship appointment in an institution with a diagnostic radiology training program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC).
NOTE: The board accepts copies of diplomas or letters from training institutions as verification. If original documents are in a language other than English, English translation must accompany them.

Payment of a one-time nonrefundable administration fee to be included with the completed application form

Copy of Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate or Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) certificate

Sponsoring department agreement, including your four-year plan
NOTE: The required four years of full-time, continuous residency training or continuous faculty fellowship experience must be completed in one ACGME- or RCPSC-accredited program. Credit for research training of up to 12 months will be granted toward diagnostic radiology certification if the research is completed at the same institution as the remaining clinical training.
Your department chair must complete and submit annual verification forms.
For candidates with completed applications containing all requisite documents which are accepted on or after July 1, 2012, the four-year experience must include four months (i.e., sixteen 40-hour weeks) of clinical nuclear medicine training. These four months of nuclear medicine should be the same as those completed by diagnostic radiology residents at the sponsoring institution.
One week increments of training at 40 hours a week is the minimum acceptable training increment permitted.
All nuclear medicine training must be clinical training; research is not applicable.
Training at an affiliated institution is acceptable.
Nuclear Medicine/PET-CT studies interpreted or reviewed as a part of clinical assignments in other than dedicated nuclear medicine rotations during a fellowship (such as chest, abdominal, or cardiac imaging), or during multidisciplinary conferences, cannot be used to satisfy this requirement.
In addition, candidates with full applications accepted on or after July 1, 2013 must meet the new RRC Nuclear Medicine Therapy requirements for I-131 administrations. Candidates must perform under preceptor supervision at least three therapies involving oral administration of I-131 in quantities less than or equal to 33 millicuries (mCi) and at least three therapies in quantities greater than 33mCi.

Copies of United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Steps 1 - 2 score reports
USMLE Step 3 is required six months before admittance to an oral or certifying examination.
Current unrestricted medical license is required before approval to take the qualifying and certifying examinations will be granted.
An IMG must pass both the qualifying and certifying examinations to be certified by the ABR. The rules for conditions and reregistration are the same as for U.S. graduates.

Optional

Candidates seeking ABR certification through the alternate pathway may be able to obtain Authorized User (AU) eligibility through the ABR pathway. If you desire AU eligibility, please submit a letter explaining your plan to meet current NRC training and experience requirements. For more information, please read the NRC regulations section of the website.
If applicable, you must submit a plan to meet the MQSA Breast Imaging requirements. For more information please read the RRC Breast Imaging requirements section of the website.


drmagus
Aim AIIMS

radiology for residency
It's said that radiology is hard to get for residency. (ie after MBBS)

Is there a way out?

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 1 of 1
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  
 

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> Radiology career in usa
 

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 10 years
1,288 active members | 4,006 posts

Topic ID #186410
Started 1 year ago
3 community credits
15 contributors
28 posts | 2,109 views
Thread index Print thread Feed


Advertisements
Server Status: 52 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 0.811 seconds
Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials


About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook