RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - Neurosurgery in US  
 Page 1 of 1

ccr

Help: neurosurgery in US
hello everyone..
I am interested in Neurosurgery from US.
& yes, I know that pretty tough to get it but I am game for it..
I have completed my MBBS (including internship) last year. At my college there was no one to guide about USMLE.
Now, I may get 6 year DNB Neurosurgery seat in India.. and if I will get it, I will take it.
I want to know that if during neurosurgery residency I crack step 1, 2ck, 2cs with good marks and apply for match in US, will the duration spent in residency here be seen as research work.. I mean will it be good for my resume if I leave residency here for residency there...? (I wish it not be bad..)
and then LORs.. whether LORs from american board certified neurosurgeon working in India will do? or will I have to make more & more contacts to get LORs from academic neurosurgeons there..
Is it necessary to have paper published in research work? last year during internship, I & my fellow interns were involved in research done by psm dept. of my college, but then I don't know if they have published paper or have our name on it..
or having research published in some neurosurgery journal or on some neurosurgery topic is important?
Is it necessary to go for observership in US.. I don't know if I will be able to make it..?

alternatively, I am thinking of completing my dnb here and apply for fellowship there but I don't find it good idea though bcz I will have to redo residency there to be able to practice there..
will my dnb degree from here is good for getting into academics & research there as prof. I mean though I will not be able to do clinical practice there.. but research matters more to me than clinical practice. I don't want to end up just copying what others do, when I can find a better way to do it..

and one more question, are fellowships in neurosurgery open to imgs.. there was something like acgme accredited and ecfmg, which I failed to understand..
please someone guide me...

p.s. I know that I am dreaming big, but then it's not impossible though it maybe as tough as hell..

UNANSWERED: BUY DRIVERS LICENSE ONLINE realdocumentservices.com, WE PROCESS AND PRODUCE BOTH REAL AND FAKE DRIVER'S LICENSE.

bunny61072
Aim USMLE Jobs

Re: Help: neurosurgery in US
hi,

there are 2 questions in ur post that are pressing.

1) it is strongly recommended that you complete your DNB. Even though your degree is not recognised the clinical experience will count. This is similar to radiology where the US recognises the DNB and MD radio clinical experience and offers fellowship directly without having to do residency in the US. This is post USMLE.

But there is no similar offering for neurosurgery in the US. It all boils down to supply and demand. The supply for the neurosurg grads is satisfied by their own candidates. Hence they are not in need for any neurosurgeons as IMGs. Notwithstanding you can still apply.

AS THERE ARE FEW RESIDENCY SEATS AVAILABLE for NS in the USA it gets filled as a prematch by their own residents.

You should have stellar scores (>260), first author publications in peer reviewed journals ( even a poster presentation in the USA is very good), and influence ( a program director). Or u should be willing to work for free for atleast 1 yr in the US as a research assistant under an expert neurosurgeon.

Do not leave ur DNB midway.It is a career suicide. Finish it.

2) if teaching/ research is ur goal then no need to do DNB. you can spend sometime doing research work in a NS department in a top college, publish papers as first author and then write TOEFL, GRE . Do PHD in the research area of your interest and then you can venture into academics. MInd you there is a very good chance to even teach in a medical school.

do make up ur mind which path u want to choose - clinical or academic.

also agme is just a process of applying for NS residency like opthalmology.

it is similar to ecfmg but different.

ccr

Re: Help: neurosurgery in US
bunny61072 wrote:
hi,

there are 2 questions in ur post that are pressing.

1) it is strongly recommended that you complete your DNB. Even though your degree is not recognised the clinical experience will count. This is similar to radiology where the US recognises the DNB and MD radio clinical experience and offers fellowship directly without having to do residency in the US. This is post USMLE.

But there is no similar offering for neurosurgery in the US. It all boils down to supply and demand. The supply for the neurosurg grads is satisfied by their own candidates. Hence they are not in need for any neurosurgeons as IMGs. Notwithstanding you can still apply.

AS THERE ARE FEW RESIDENCY SEATS AVAILABLE for NS in the USA it gets filled as a prematch by their own residents.

You should have stellar scores (>260), first author publications in peer reviewed journals ( even a poster presentation in the USA is very good), and influence ( a program director). Or u should be willing to work for free for atleast 1 yr in the US as a research assistant under an expert neurosurgeon.

Do not leave ur DNB midway.It is a career suicide. Finish it.

2) if teaching/ research is ur goal then no need to do DNB. you can spend sometime doing research work in a NS department in a top college, publish papers as first author and then write TOEFL, GRE . Do PHD in the research area of your interest and then you can venture into academics. MInd you there is a very good chance to even teach in a medical school.

do make up ur mind which path u want to choose - clinical or academic.

also agme is just a process of applying for NS residency like opthalmology.

it is similar to ecfmg but different.

thanks.. icon_smile.gif
I want to ask one more thing...
If I finish my dnb here and pass step1 & step 2ck cs, then will I be able to apply for fellowship in say endovascular neurosurgery thr (and return to practice in India) ? or I will have to do residency there to apply for fellowships..

Nebula2050

i guess there is no direct pathway for that
best is while doing your Neuro from here
get alot of publication attention research work
in US publication esp.
after u give your steps 1 2
u will already got to know many residency director over there u will get residency in neuro

ccr

Nebula2050 wrote:
i guess there is no direct pathway for that
best is while doing your Neuro from here
get alot of publication attention research work
in US publication esp.
after u give your steps 1 2
u will already got to know many residency director over there u will get residency in neuro

thanks.. icon_smile.gif

bunny61072
Aim USMLE Jobs

no fellowships offered as in Radiology. Will have to do residency of course and then fellowship. But there are rules to the exception. I am aware that if you have excellent first author publication in peer reviewed journals ( the publication should be extraordinary, in the sense , the subject of your research should be one which has not been written by anyone in the past), as well as excellent peer and superior reviews of your clinical capability then there are chances of getting a fellowship.

all the best

ccr

bunny61072 wrote:
no fellowships offered as in Radiology. Will have to do residency of course and then fellowship. But there are rules to the exception. I am aware that if you have excellent first author publication in peer reviewed journals ( the publication should be extraordinary, in the sense , the subject of your research should be one which has not been written by anyone in the past), as well as excellent peer and superior reviews of your clinical capability then there are chances of getting a fellowship.

all the best

thank you so much bunny61072... icon_smile.gif

pss
Aim USMLE Step 1

Ccr, m getting a bit off-topic.....but since u r doing dnb in ns......i want to ask u is it better than mch in ns.....what r d pros n cons?? Ppl consider dnb still inferior to mch....why is it sdo?Pls guide.....m on crossroads.....hv cumpleted internship n m preparing for indian pg entrances....m also interested in ns n aspire to take up a direct mch course........

ccr

pss wrote:
Ccr, m getting a bit off-topic.....but since u r doing dnb in ns......i want to ask u is it better than mch in ns.....what r d pros n cons?? Ppl consider dnb still inferior to mch....why is it sdo?Pls guide.....m on crossroads.....hv cumpleted internship n m preparing for indian pg entrances....m also interested in ns n aspire to take up a direct mch course........

hello pss..
dnb=mch
check ur pm.. icon_smile.gif

drfaizan
Aim NEET PG

ccr wrote:
pss wrote:

hello pss..
dnb=mch

Dear CCR,

I hope you won't mind me going off topic. Even my situation is more or less 80% similar to yours. However I have not joined DNB this year and will be trying for the coming July session. I am very much interested on the Neuro side, both surgery and DM.

One of my friend said if Neuro surgery is done from a private corporate hospital, the resident will not gain much experience as the attendings will not let the residents to perform surgery at least until the 6th year. I am not sure about this.

Can you please throw some light. That would be helpful.

Thanks,

Regards,
Faizan

ccr

drfaizan wrote:
ccr wrote:
pss wrote:

hello pss..
dnb=mch

Dear CCR,

I hope you won't mind me going off topic. Even my situation is more or less 80% similar to yours. However I have not joined DNB this year and will be trying for the coming July session. I am very much interested on the Neuro side, both surgery and DM.

One of my friend said if Neuro surgery is done from a private corporate hospital, the resident will not gain much experience as the attendings will not let the residents to perform surgery at least until the 6th year. I am not sure about this.

Can you please throw some light. That would be helpful.

Thanks,

Regards,
Faizan

hello buddy..
it's all ab8 choosing r8 hospital..
no diff with mch..
I joined dnb neurosx at narayana hrudayalaya.. it'll quite easily come amongst top 5 residency programme in country...
lots of free hands.. my just senior hz assisted in 100+ surgeries till now.. 5th year resident some 750+ surgeries... seniors encourage to do diff procedures... excellent work environment.. no egos etc. within dept.
100% pass % here..
m more than satisfied with it...

neurosx 6yrs 'll be availble in nov dnb not in july one...

all d best..

drfaizan
Aim NEET PG

ccr wrote:

hello buddy..
no diff with mch..
I joined dnb neurosx at narayana hrudayalaya.. it'll quite easily come amongst top 5 residency programme in country...
lots of free hands.. my just senior hz assisted in 100+ surgeries till now.. 5th year resident some 750+ surgeries... seniors encourage to do diff procedures... excellent work environment.. no egos etc. within dept.
100% pass % here..

all d best..

Thanks for your response CCR.

My bad, too bad that neuro surgery is not offered in July session. Not sure why.

Guess I will have to look for General Medicine then icon_smile.gif

If you do not mind can you please tell if there are 6 years DM Neurology besides Neuro surgery seats as well in DNB of November?

Also just curious are you also willing to appear for USMLE this year or next year or you wish to wait until you complete all 6 years?

Just curious what was your rank icon_smile.gif Trying to get an idea what rank should i try for to get a seat in Neuro Surgery.

My questions are Kind of your interview isn't it icon_wink.gif I hope you're not bothered much.

ccr

drfaizan wrote:
ccr wrote:

hello buddy..
no diff with mch..
100% pass % here..

all d best..

Thanks for your response CCR.

My bad, too bad that neuro surgery is not offered in July session. Not sure why.

Guess I will have to look for General Medicine then icon_smile.gif

If you do not mind can you please tell if there are 6 years DM Neurology besides Neuro surgery seats as well in DNB of November?

Also just curious are you also willing to appear for USMLE this year or next year or you wish to wait until you complete all 6 years?

Just curious what was your rank icon_smile.gif Trying to get an idea what rank should i try for to get a seat in Neuro Surgery.

My questions are Kind of your interview isn't it icon_wink.gif I hope you're not bothered much.

no 6 yr post med courses either in july or nov anywhr except nimhns dm neuro... nt going 2 gv usmle as of now... rank variable <2500 may do..

drfaizan
Aim NEET PG

Thanks for responding again CCR icon_smile.gif

thesophist
Aim AIIMS

Hi all.. have also decided to pursue USMLE route... but my interest is in Neurosurgery. i have been working as a research asst in my hospital dept for the last 2 years (finished internship 2011). I have done some solid research work - got 5 publications in international journals (4 european, 1 US) but now as i just started prep i am finding it really hard, esp the genetics, immunology and biochem. is that normal? Not confident that things will fall into place by the time i give step 1

princenan23
Aim NIMHANS

what are the various options of research in us if you want to pursue neurosurgery?

Aim USMLE Step 1

Its absolutly normal.
Everytime you will read you will find new things especially in immunology.

Aim USMLE Step 1

Its absolutly normal.
Everytime you will read you will find new things especially in immunology.

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 1 of 1
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> Neurosurgery in US

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 17 years
1,575 active members | 4,607 posts

Topic ID #250534
Started 7 years ago
8 community credits
8 contributors
18 posts | 9,794 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 73 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 3.706 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook