RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - Does the college where we do MBBS matter in anyway  
 Page 1 of 1

nitesh1
Aim AIIMS

does the college where we do MBBS matter in anyway
hey friends all out htere surfing on this beautiful
medi-site
pl;z tell me whether the college of MBBS really
matters
bcoz i lost my 2 marks in CEt
and further lost KEM
i just studied to be in KEM
i got in nair

UNANSWERED: Am I too old(24) for mbbs?

velocityx

Of cousre it does. In MBBS (1st year) you need some assistance from the teachers and in some college this is absent and the students suffer. Just ask the seniors how the college is before you join.

super7
Aim USMLE Step 1

The college name of ur MBBS sticks on to u for life and affect ur chances of getting a job....i've heard of this,correct me if I'm wrong.........

super7
Aim USMLE Step 1

hey nitesh,don't get upset..........MH-CET is not USMLE.The best don't always win..............the problem is IT IS TOO EASY.That really increases
the competition.A few silly mistakes on the exam day and ur dead.

aryarajendran
Aim AIPGE 2016

I think , which cllege you do MBBS is gonna really matter with respect to the clinical cases.
In some private medical colleges, students get so less experience because of plain lack or less number of patients, that they end up being theoretical doctors. How good can that be ? No btter than a good biology student, I say.
On the contrary , if its a govt college, rest assured that u get plenty of hands on experience of every clinical speciality.

mightchillout

college name matters......................

..............................why do people then boast of payment seats?

coolz_hari
Aim UK Exams

Edited by: RxPG Team
Edit Reason: Abuse in forums not allowed according to TOS
. see TOS .

ankit_2k
Aim NEET PG

the name of the college does not matter at all.

the only thing that matters is the colleges faculty and the patiens flow for the clinics as they r ur teachers in the clinics.

but if you r determined these too dont come in any hinderance.
acadic doubts can be cleared by anyone even on this site and as for the patients no one can stop you from visiting the ward even at midnite the more you see the more you learn.

so best of luck and dont lose hope.

Stingray
Aim USMLE Step 1

What matters is not where u go to but the scores you get on standardized exams ie USMLE etc.
Naturally, good teachers matter but there are tons of BAD teachers at Harvard also. That is because their primary interest and their primary job is research.
Of course seeing variety in patients is a good idea as it transforms theoretical memorization to understanding and learning.

Kamala
Aim PLAB Part 2

Guidance & teaching is all that matters..!!and how u train ur self...and not the college name...!!

freshie_tassi

Does the fact tht ur university is not currently recognized under the World Health Organisation matter when you're applying for post-grad degrees outside your country ... say in USA, UK, Aus?!

drdonald
Aim NEET PG

college name matters so is the availability of clinical cases.everyone can read textbooks but skill is acquired only thru practice

freshie_tassi

Basically the clinical duties are done @ an affiliated hospital (internationally recognized) with extremely experienced hands.
But I'm just worried abt the international recognition of the university as a whole. They still haven't applied to the World Health Organisation.

Sumir

colleges differs in
1 teachers
2 students
3 exposure(patients)
both colleges have excellent teachers(u can even attend few lectures of KEM)
student crowd donot differ much
patient exposure is tremendous in both college more than enough
degree do not mention college name in degree

super7
Aim USMLE Step 1

sumir ur post is not clear,kindly explain,what do u exactly mean by both colleges?

govindbajaj

final word only matter from where u have done post graduation ,no matters where u have done mbbs. u can not master each speciality during mbbs days by seeing cases. REMEMBER EYE DOESNT SEES WHAT MIND NOT KNOWS,
MORE U CRAM THE THINGS , MORE HR U GIVE TO UR BOOKS MORE EASILY U GET PG IN UR COLL OF CHOICE THEN STARTS LEARN FRM PATIENT,IT IS FACT NOT ALL CLINICAL CASES R PRESENT AS CLASSICAL COMPLAIN GIVEN IN BOOKS, BUT IN PG EXAM EXACT LINES OF BOOKS HAS BEEN ASKED NO WHERE CLINICAL CASES HELPS U IN CLEARING IN AIIMS , AIPGE

maddybjmc07

it matterz a lot which college u opt for

i hav been transferd from vmmc solpur colege 2 bjmc

the diff i noted in 1 month itself was the kinda attitude bj guys proceed
the faculty is xcellent

there a zeal 2 study
hav a clinical apporach

presicely i matters a lot

icon_biggrin.gif

medicilina

DETERMINATION - the only word . that's it ! if ur focused on ur GOAL there's nothing that can come in ur way. i have many freinds , among them some got in Kem,WHILE SOME GOT, LIKE U, IN NAIR (believe me ,just for 1 mark) ! but then* INSTEAD OF ,MOURNING OVER THE PAST & WORRING ABOUT THE FUTURE , GIVE UR BEST TO THE PRESENT . * that what my friends who got in SION OR NAIR R FOLLOWING.

bestaspirant
Aim AIIMS

MEDICILINA,YOUR WORDS GIVE ME COURAGE.ALL THE WHILE I WAS WORRYING ABT WHAT HAPPENED.ALL MY FRIENDS GOT THEIR SEATS IN GOVT COLLEGES AND I ENDED UP GETTING IN A PRIVATE COLLEGE.JUST 1 MARK MAKES A LOT OF DIFFERENCE IN YOUR LIFE.I DIDN'T KNOW THIS BEFORE.

shravani
Aim USMLE Step 1

why do people give so much of preference to col name..?

rahulsalvi85

It does matter
I am from KEM Hospital studying in final MBBS. According to my seniors, college name really matters if u r giving USMLE.For eg., Chicago County Hospital,Rush Hospital prefer giving residency to KEM hospital undergrads,AIIMS undergrads,etc., according to my seniors who have been through MLE.

rahulsalvi85

contd...
Also, in government colleges, the surrounding is competitive and hence u end up in studying more than ur counterparts in private college(this is not a hard and fast rule but a general observation).The number of cases seen does matter for the PG students and not for the undergrads, as undergrads have to mostly learn from their books and form a strong base rather than observe more number of cases.So, practically speaking getting MBBS degree from a private college is also good.But PG degree should be strictly from a govt college or from a private coll where the patient load is appreciably high.

Vagus
Aim NEET PG 2012

Of course the no. of cases migt b less in private collgs whn compared to govnt. collgs. But Still It is the good professors who make the difference . If the student make use of the opportunity to the best of his ability wit the guidance of professors then it doesnt really matters whic coll r u / hav u studied !!!

shravani
Aim USMLE Step 1

even sometimes student who dont even have gud proffessors aslo come out with flying colors so it's means tht it actually also doesnt depend on proffessor sometimes in few cases...mostly depends on their motivation...

rahulsalvi85

I agree with vagus and shravani, but for PG level, govt colleges are way ahead than private colleges for hands on experience. Ya, for undergrad levels may be it doesnt matter much...Only good professors at PG level dont help unless u have seen a considerable number of cases.

shravani
Aim USMLE Step 1

yup i agree with rahul..at pg level gud proffessors are a must...

craby111
Aim NEET PG

finallly...it depends on u....how u r making use of all the provided facilities..i did my ug frm pvt coll...wen i joined for my pg in govt col, after hving a look at my clinical skills n knowledge no 1 believed in did my ug frm pvt coll but u do meet some ppl...who ll make faces...oh....u did it frm pvt college so no matter wht how excellently u r doing ur job...so personally it depends on u but professionally i think yes t some extent it definitely play roles..
i think evn nair is a great college..it does not matter how many cases u r observing i think its more imp t remember every single case u see...so tht ur 1 case should equal to 50....

govindbajaj

where shuold st dgo see indian codition per doctor onpopulation ultimatley all seve our country

if pvt pg is so bad then y govt take over all p vt collpg under govt mangement

shravani
Aim USMLE Step 1

it's not that all private are gud and all govt are bad but only veery few of the private cols are good compared to the govt ones...and this is expecially in case of medicine

craby111
Aim NEET PG

yaa...thats true....n abt taking over pvt coll...govt itself is finding it hard to manage the present load how ll they manage the load of pvt hosp??? in govt coll....treatment is governed not by wht pt requires but wht u hve in stock....most of pts r below poverty line who cant evn afford t buy meds frm outside...n this single factor of poverty line is making a diference of pt load in govt n pvt n thus this discussion..........

craby111
Aim NEET PG

dear nitesh who started this discussion...if u r planning for mle ahead then as told by rahulsalvi85.....yes t some extent doing it frm kem helps u out.....but doing it frm nair will not hamper u anyway.u still can b at same par...involvement of kem in various collaborations has mapped it on global arena ..thts the only point.

memymyselfin

it hardly matters...i am from a private college in Vidharba..not from any mumbai coll or pune or any fancy coll u think...but i worked hard and came amongst the best in da state..i have got 5 distinctions...for cliical aspect i have seen many of the "rare and uncommon" diseases tht my dear friends boast of...since i entered college i made sure tht no one can put this very question in my face...my dear friends it not the college u carry for your rest of lives.IT YOU WHO MATTERS...so stop this discriminating topic and do wht we all are made to do.....SAVE LIVES

Ulhasmanvi

My dear friend,
college does matter to certain extent. but in your case, Nair or KEM does not make any difdference as both are reputed institutions in Mubai. What really matters is your knowledge, skills that you aquire to becomea good clinician. I ma sure you will become one. Best of luck! : icon_biggrin.gif

srsiddu
Aim Tamilnadu PG

DONT WORRY
S OFFCOURSE THE COLLEGE NAME MATTERS A LOT
BUT WORK HARD DONT GIVE UP
IF U R GONNA BE A OUTSTANDING STUDENT THE COLLEGE WILL NATURAALY BE PROUD ALL JUST B COS OF U

saumyamittal
Aim NIMHANS

college name matters

but in the long run its what u learn

Essentials of Medical Pharmacology By KD Tripathi
Extensively revised and updated chapters to include recently introduced drugs, published information and therapeutic practices.
 Page 1 of 1
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> MBBS -> Does the college where we do MBBS matter in anyway

MBBS Community
RxPG community for 18 years
2,877 active members | 10,361 posts

Topic ID #54718
Started 15 years ago
24 contributors
35 posts | 27,885 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 105 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 3.652 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook