RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - General queries about USMLE  
 Page 10 of 22 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

AshB

dipsite wrote:
I read your previous posts on observership, externship and clerkship. I got the difference between Clerkship and Observership. But what is externship and how to get it?? Please elaborate.

And regarding Research Associate in USA I think MPH would serve the purpose. Isn't it?? Because basically what we do in MPH is research.

Bottomline:- For a guy like me with no clerkship or observership or any sort of research experience getting residency in a UNIVERSITY is very difficult.

You're jumping to the Bottomline a way too early. 100s of IMGs with your background match to Uni based programs every year. You're expecting a bit too much from yourself way before time. RARE people do any observership before they complete their MBBS or even appear for steps. Even you can do it when the right time comes. I repeat.. there is lot more to all this than appears on the surface. Its like a cricket match, a Sachin or Mcgrath or a Hayden alone can never guarantee a 100% success.

MPH is not basically research and even if it is, its not exactly 'CLINICAL' research which is more valued than biomedical or epid research. Actually what happens is many people while doing MPH take jobs as research assistants in their university. That is something that helps cos otherwise getting research jobs is quite difficult.. Yesterday i was talking to my senior who did his MPH and matched this year. He told me that he was lucky that his RAship was fruitful and his name appeared in a couple of publications. A few of his classmates didn't get any, inspite of similar work. So, it all depends..

Externship and Clerkship are similar.. It is termed clerkship when done in UG years.

UNANSWERED: BUY DRIVERS LICENSE ONLINE realdocumentservices.com, WE PROCESS AND PRODUCE BOTH REAL AND FAKE DRIVER'S LICENSE.

AshB

dipsite wrote:
ASH B what is exactly a community hospital??? and why IMGs DO NOT prefer residency in a community hospital??
and what would you advice me MPH route or <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
with observerships???
Please give me a sincere advice.
Life is all about choices!!!!!

cheers!!!

No comments on MPH vs Direct.. lot has been said already. It is so complicated that i can't write so much.

Community hospital.. Are general hospitals not originally not meant for teaching but simply treating the patients. They are not part of any University but are affiliated to them.

IN GENERAL.. Less fellowships, less academics, less research but more clinical exposure. But mind you its not always true, there are many community programs that are rated much higher than some uni based program.

dipsite
Aim USMLE Step 1

This is my friend's query:-
when u take an internship transfer the clinical clerkship would include the transfer periods also?as i yet dont know if my college does include ,or do i take a separate transcrpit from the hospital where i have done my internship? ???

Please reply to this.

AshB

dipsite wrote:
This is my friend's query:-
when u take an internship transfer the clinical clerkship would include the transfer periods also?as i yet dont know if my college does include ,or do i take a separate transcrpit from the hospital where i have done my internship? ???

Please reply to this.

Sorry.. I don't have any idea about this. Also different universities have different set of rules for this..

dipsite
Aim USMLE Step 1

Well ASH B
A personal question. What have you done - clerkship or observership or externship or any research experience????
Is it really tough to get observerships?
There is a long waiting period of getting clerkship that is around 8 months. Spaces are filling very fast. Is that so for observerships?

dipsite.

ieltsforall
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi ASH BHAI and everyone,well regarding the above discussion ,i think i have a right to say something.what is gist of above post .according to me,noone has guarenteed to get residency even if u have done MPH or not ,positiveness are present ,so it is difficult to put finger into every pie.go to usmle directly and then GODFORBID ,if not get residency , u will go to anyother path like MPH ,so ,my conclusion first focus on usmle and then if the circumstances is against u .thanks alot and takecare i think USMLE MEANS IN MY DICTIONARY great carrer .

dipsite
Aim USMLE Step 1

ASH B '
Could you please post here what exactly a medical transcipt should contain?? It would help my fellow medicos and also the ones who are crippled because of lack of orientation.

cheers!!

dipsite
Aim USMLE Step 1

wow!!!! 13,843 mortals have visited this particular thread..great work ASH B. I see tough fight for residency in coming years. Competition is the reality of life..he he..

Did you apply in the university of Kansas for residency? Is it a good university?

saira

Thanks AshB.

AshB

dipsite wrote:
ASH B '
Could you please post here what exactly a medical transcipt should contain?? It would help my fellow medicos and also the ones who are crippled because of lack of orientation.

cheers!!

Even observerships are easier if you plan 8-10 months in advance.

Regarding transcripts go to your college office. The clerk knows much better than us. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
wow!!!! 13,843 mortals have visited this particular thread..great work ASH B. I see tough fight for residency in coming years. Competition is the reality of life..he he..

Did you apply in the university of Kansas for residency? Is it a good university?

Yes, the fight is getting tougher by the day. I am yet to apply for a match dipsite, 2008 match is my target.

jaydoc
Aim NONE

hi ashB....

i just want to know where to post my exam experience. is there any separate thread just for it...? or do i just make a new thread...?

i took my step 1 today.

congrats for your 99. hope you do as well or even better for step 2CK as well....!

BTW how many questions out of 350 need to be done right for a 99....?

AshB

jaydoc wrote:
hi ashB....

i just want to know where to post my exam experience. is there any separate thread just for it...? or do i just make a new thread...?

i took my step 1 today.

congrats for your 99. hope you do as well or even better for step 2CK as well....!

BTW how many questions out of 350 need to be done right for a 99....?

Yep you can make a new thread and the post the link in this thread..
Only RxPG members can see links here! Register or Login!

Its very difficult to put a number to that question. I think its around 80% +-5%.

Thanks for your wishes and Good luck for ur scores jaydoc.. icon_smile.gif

s_simit
Aim AIIMS

hey tanks ashb this thread is gr8 , much informative cleared many of my douts here

now plz can anyone tell me the financial aspect mle
off all i knoe is the fee structure for mle
total come 2 aroun 1.3 lac rs. {only examination fees}
wat will be my other expences
wat will be my college fee for different sems
wat bout scholarships
how much is a resident on a avg paid???

AshB

s_simit wrote:
hey tanks ashb this thread is gr8 , much informative cleared many of my douts here

now plz can anyone tell me the financial aspect mle
off all i knoe is the fee structure for mle
total come 2 aroun 1.3 lac rs. {only examination fees}
wat will be my other expences
wat will be my college fee for different sems
wat bout scholarships
how much is a resident on a avg paid???

if you've read this thread, it includes an estimate of expenses. Be prepared for a total expense of 5-10 lacs, mainly dependant on how long you would stay in US.

You can also see this link for related info..

and

During residency..
No fees
No scholarships
Avg stipend $39,000 pa

dipsite
Aim USMLE Step 1

Total expense stands at around 7 lakhs (without observership) It includes your 6 months stay in USA during your interviews etcetera.

Life is all about choices....

dipsite.

drhanniballecter
Aim NEET PG

well i am doing my md in pathology.i'd like to know more about this fifth pathway programme.i'd also like to know whether i'll be given any credits for finishing my residency here n then taking path in states?plz help...its all confusing n everybody else is sceptical of the topic..thanks

raj8181
Aim FRCOphth

pass_usmle wrote:
reg in ones own country not needed for taking USMLE. only req is that your med school must be listed in FAIMER directory.
for the latest info please read the usmle and ecfmg info booletttinnn after downloading it from their websites.
Work hard guys...there are no shortcuts in life.
bye
plz list me t books required for first, second, third phase, for clearing USMLE wit good score

pramodmedstud
Aim USA Visa

usmle confused need help

hi this may sound stupid but can some 1 tell me is it necessary 2 go 2 the us 2 write the exam ????

drche

u dont have to go to take step1 and step2ck..

for step 2cs u have to go to us.

guess u have to a lot of research in here..gl..

Cricketer
Aim USMLE Step 1

drhanniballecter wrote:
well i am doing my md in Pathology.i'd like to know more about this fifth pathway programme.i'd also like to know whether i'll be given any credits for finishing my residency here n then taking path in states?plz help...its all confusing n everybody else is sceptical of the topic..thanks

5th pathway is for canadian graduates. I don't think any PG here gets any credits in states apart from rare and exceptional cases with good publications and CV.

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

How does one go for PG in Neurology in the US?
They say we need to go through a transitional year before , to get into Neurology
Would someone please explain?

AshB

drhanniballecter wrote:
well i am doing my md in <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum103.html">Pathology</a>
.i'd like to know more about this fifth pathway programme.i'd also like to know whether i'll be given any credits for finishing my residency here n then taking path in states?plz help...its all confusing n everybody else is sceptical of the topic..thanks

As far as i know most path programs wouldn't give you any credit for MD in india. You should visit individual program's websites for accurate info. If needed email the program co-ordinator with your CV and questions. They'll answer your queries.

You can find different programs at..

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

hey asB
I need some info
Is getting residency in Patho in US more competitive than IM or Family Medicine?
Please enlighten me

AshB

carbamazepine wrote:
How does one go for PG in Neurology in the US?
They say we need to go through a transitional year before , to get into Neurology
Would someone please explain?

There are Neurology fellowships and then there are combined year programs offering IM+Neurology and Psychiatry+Neurology. I don't think most of them need a transitional year.

Certain programs like anesthesia, aurgery etc require a PGY1 year training similar to residency first year, this is known as transitional or preliminary year. these both have some differences though.

You apply for transitional and preliminary years as you would for simple residency.

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

thanks for the Info ashB
your guidance is certainly selfless and par excellence

AshB

carbamazepine wrote:
hey asB
I need some info
Is getting residency in Patho in US more competitive than IM or Family Medicine?
Please enlighten me

I don't prefer to comment on this.. There certainly are differences between these various branches but labeling one as difficult or easy would be too arbitrary. Frankly i don't have much idea about individual patho programs, but they are certainly not very easy to get into. What i feel is overall path is equally competitive to IM.

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

Thanks ashB and congratulations for your score

drche

AshB wrote:
drhanniballecter wrote:
well i am doing my md in <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum103.html"><a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum103.html">Pathology</a>
</a>
.i'd like to know more about this fifth pathway programme.i'd also like to know whether i'll be given any credits for finishing my residency here n then taking path in states?plz help...its all confusing n everybody else is sceptical of the topic..thanks

As far as i know most path programs wouldn't give you any credit for MD in india. You should visit individual program's websites for accurate info. If needed email the program co-ordinator with your CV and questions. They'll answer your queries.

You can find different programs at..

fifth pathway is not only for canadian med grads. pls see this:

The Fifth Pathway Program

The following information from the American Medical Association Council on Medical Education provides an overview of the Fifth Pathway Program.

AMERICAN STUDENTS IN FOREIGN MEDICAL SCHOOLS *
The "Fifth Pathway" Statement

1. A pathway for entrance to approved programs of graduate medical education, other than those existing under previous policies, became available as of July 1, 1971 for students who have fulfilled the following conditions:

1. Have completed, in an accredited American college or university, undergraduate premedical work of the quality acceptable for matriculation in an accredited United States medical school, evaluated by measures such as college grade point average and scores on the Medical College Admission Test.
2. Have studied medicine at a medical school located outside the U.S., including Puerto Rico, and Canada that is listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED), published by the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research.
3. Have completed all of the formal requirements for a diploma of the foreign medical school except internship and/or social service. Those who have completed all of the formal graduation requirements, including internship and/or social service, and are, consequently, eligible to apply for ECFMG certification, are not eligible for the Fifth Pathway.
2. Students who have completed the academic curriculum at a foreign medical school and who have fulfilled the above conditions may be offered the opportunity to substitute an academic year of supervised clinical training for the internship/social service required by the foreign medical school. The supervised training should consist of the clinical education provided in the third year of a U.S. medical school or in appropriate clinical subinternships. The supervised clinical training must be provided by faculty of a program in medical education accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education and should be conducted in its affiliated hospitals, so as to assure that individuals who complete Fifth Pathway programs are reasonably comparable to the school’s regularly-graduated students. The medical school should insure that resources are adequate for the conduct of the Fifth Pathway program, without jeopardizing its other academic programs. Fifth Pathway education should be provided only with the written approval of the dean or other appropriate official of the medical school.
3. Students must pass Step 1 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) in order to be eligible for admission to a Fifth Pathway program.
4. Students must successfully complete clinical training, on the judgment of the medical school’s faculty based on a final evaluation comparable to that used to judge regularly-enrolled students. With the approval of the faculty, and upon passing Step 2 of the USMLE, Fifth Pathway students are eligible to enter the first year of approved graduate medical education, without completing the social service and/or internship required by the foreign country and without obtaining ECFMG certification.
5. Fifth Pathway certificates must be provided only with the approval of the dean or other medical school official and must be recorded with the registrar. The medical school must notify the American Medical Association that a student has successfully completed the Fifth Pathway program.
6. The Council on Medical Education recommends that all state medical licensing boards consider for licensure all candidates who have successfully completed a Fifth Pathway program on the same basis as they consider candidates who have received ECFMG certification.

* Policy statement of the American Medical Association Council on Medical Education (included in Report 2 I-01), adopted June 12, 1971 and modified May 23, 1973; March 22, 1975; September 7, 1979; June 11, 1981; March 2, 2001; November 30, 2001; and June 17, 2005.

Currently, New York Medical College and Ponce School of Medicine provide Fifth Pathway education. Interested applicants should contact the programs directly for complete information:

Office of Fifth Pathway
New York Medical College
Valhalla, NY 10595 USA
TEL: (914) 594-3651

Ponce School of Medicine
PO Box 7004
Ponce, PR 00732 USA
TEL: (787) 840-2575

Participants in Fifth Pathway programs who have not completed the internship and/or social service requirement for graduation at the non-U.S. medical school are not eligible for ECFMG Certification. However, these individuals may apply to ECFMG to take USMLE Step 1 and Step 2. The following additional requirements apply to Fifth Pathway participants who apply to ECFMG for examination.
Students Attending Medical Schools in Mexico

In order to apply to ECFMG for USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, or Step 2 CS, there is an additional requirement if you are a student officially enrolled in a medical school in Mexico and you intend to complete a Fifth Pathway program in lieu of: completing the internship and social service requirements, receiving the Titulo de Medico Cirujano, and fulfilling the medical education credential requirements for ECFMG Certification. If all of these conditions apply to you and you wish to apply to ECFMG for examination, you must notify ECFMG no later than the beginning of your last year of medical school that you intend to complete a Fifth Pathway program. If you submit your first exam application to ECFMG during your last year of medical school or later, you must notify ECFMG at the time of application.

You must submit a letter:

* stating that you intend to complete a Fifth Pathway program,
* specifying which Fifth Pathway program (New York Medical College or the Ponce School of Medicine) you plan to attend, and
* confirming that you are aware of the eligibility requirements for admission to the Fifth Pathway program and that you have fulfilled these requirements, or have fulfilled the requirements but have not yet passed USMLE Step 1.

You must sign and date this letter. A letter from your medical school stating that you intend to complete a Fifth Pathway program will not be accepted.
Students Attending Other Medical Schools

Students attending medical schools in other countries should contact ECFMG for information on applying for examination as a Fifth Pathway candidate.
icon_biggrin.gif

hope this clears the doubt...cheers,che..

AshB

I'm sorry.. Of course i know its not for canadian grads.. I guess i was half asleep today and cricketer confused me more.. icon_biggrin.gif icon_redface.gif

drche

AshB wrote:
I'm sorry.. Of course i know its not for canadian grads.. I guess i was half asleep today and cricketer confused me more.. icon_biggrin.gif icon_redface.gif

hey dont be
icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif

yeah be prepared to be half awake doing ur residency.. icon_lol.gif

just wanted to make sure that ppl dont get it wrong.. i know that u r aware of the fifth pathway,AshB..

tc..

Siyaa

i tried to explore thread but i think i missed some info , i wanna know that do they give you e mail regarding your permission for scheduling test date (scheduling permit) after submission of application documents etc etc ; how do you know that u can do sceduling now?

AshB

Siyaa wrote:
i tried to explore thread but i think i missed some info, i wanna know that do they give you e mail regarding your permission for scheduling test date (scheduling permit) after submission of application documents etc etc ; how do you know that u can do sceduling now?

Though they send out an email when your SP is available but don't depend on that. Its better to check OASIS periodically.. Its where you are supposed to take a print of your SP.

The SP has a scheduling number that is to be used to take the first appointment. After you take first appointment, Prometric gives you a confirmation no, which is to be used for rescheduling purposes in future.

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

On an average, How long does it take to get a SP after you courier the required documents.
I am completing the application today and sending the documents on Monday.When shud I expect to see my SP?

Siyaa

HI CARBAMAZEPINE, AFTER YOU DOCUMENTS ARE DELIVERED TO THEM (YOU CAN COUNT THE DAYS OF POSTAL DELIVERY/COURIER BY ASKING YOUR POST DEPARTMENT) IT MAY TAKE ANYTHING WITHIN 5-10 BUSINESS DAY; OR THEY TAKE TIME TO PROCESS YOUR CERTIFICATE OF IDENTIFICATION, ONCE IT IS DONE ALONG WID UR CREDENTAILS YOUR SCEDULING PERMITS IS GIVEN AND KEEP AN EYE ON OASIS ONLINE.

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

thanks siyaa
Does that mean that ECFMG doesn't wait for Form 345 to go to the respective medical school and get verified from there?
Does this process goes on simultaneously?

Siyaa

no they dont wait for credentials verification, i guess , yep, that process keeps going otherwise

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

thanks a lot siyaa
I am taking a date of late October or early november.
am doing pathology and behavioural science,simultaneously.
Anyone joining me?

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

I have posted my Step I application along with Form 186.
The DTDC charges Rs 725 for that, infact he said he is giving me a Rs 100/- concession.

waqas2423

do we need to give any english exam ex:tofel after any of the step's??and what is the passing score??plz reply

AshB

waqas2423 wrote:
do we need to give any english exam ex:tofel after any of the step's??and what is the passing score??plz reply

No TOEFL or any other language exam is not needed.

hehehaha

usmle
hy can usmle2 be given before 1???

superdockolli
Aim USMLE Step 1

if we are planning to give step in a month, lets say the month of september.
if we want to book a date for the september slot, when would be the ideal time to book a date???

AshB

superdockolli wrote:
if we are planning to give step in a month, lets say the month of september.
if we want to book a date for the september slot, when would be the ideal time to book a date???

You are allowed to book a slot, 6 months in advance. I suggest register for the slot at least 3 months in advance for comfortable availability of dates.

AshB

Re: <a href=
hehehaha wrote:
hy can usmle2 be given before 1???

Yes Step 1, 2CS and 2CS can be taken in any order you want.

P.S. : plz do not post duplicate threads in separate forums.

drnbalanmd
Aim DM Cardiology

Hi AshB,
Thanxya,u been doin' a grt job so far.Hats off...
I am new to this forum.pls. answer this... how can i know that ecfmg has sent credential verification documents to my college so that i can go &accelerate the process? i am staying far frm my college in a different city?

regards,

bala.

AshB

drnbalanmd wrote:
Hi AshB,
Thanxya,u been doin' a grt job so far.Hats off...
I am new to this forum.pls. answer this... how can i know that ecfmg has sent credential verification documents to my college so that i can go &accelerate the process? i am staying far frm my college in a different city?

regards,

bala.

Hi drnbalanmd, welcome to the forums. icon_smile.gif

ECFMG will send a letter to you when it does so. You can also inquire at your college office about it.

superdockolli
Aim USMLE Step 1

1st congrats adn welcome to the world of medicine... its a long way to go from here and always be optimistic...

1st i would advice you to concentrate on how to get out of MBBS with good knowledge and good scores...

i have never thought of wht i would be doing after my MBBS during my graduation... i always had an idea, but i took the decision once i entered my house surgeoncy...

dont worry about what you will be doing later...
there is a very famous saying
"when times comes you will know"...

so dont worry about whats gonna happen after 6 yrs... the situation keeps on changing with every year and so no one can give you advice on whats gonna happen then...

if you have any queries about how to go about your MBBS, ask me i will be very much happy to guide you...

ALL THE BEST!!!

KEEP ROCKING!!!

superdockolli
Aim USMLE Step 1

oops i sent this reply to some post, dated way long back!!!
sorry didint check it...

this is directed to all the people who have just joined MBBS...(just incase you saw it)

he he...

sorry!!!

kristi
Aim USMLE Step 1

Its urgent
Hi,
I don't know if I can post this or not
if I am not moderators pls excuse me.
I would like to know if there is any thread that relates to exam dates
for steps well in my case st 1.
If there is no such thread is it possible to have one
so that it will be easy to schedule dates rather than keeping checking at the prometric site.
I feel I am losing so much time in checking that dates evry day.
If it is possible pls reply to this post how to go ahead urgently.
If it is not possible even then pls reply urgently if possible including the reasons.
Pls understand it is urgent.
Thanks.

AshB

Re: Its urgent
kristi wrote:
Hi,
I don't know if I can post this or not
if I am not moderators pls excuse me.
I would like to know if there is any thread that relates to exam dates
for steps well in my case st 1.
If there is no such thread is it possible to have one
so that it will be easy to schedule dates rather than keeping checking at the prometric site.
I feel I am losing so much time in checking that dates evry day.
If it is possible pls reply to this post how to go ahead urgently.
If it is not possible even then pls reply urgently if possible including the reasons.
Pls understand it is urgent.
Thanks.

There's no such thread and it is not possible to do such a thing.

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 10 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> General queries about USMLE

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 17 years
1,575 active members | 4,607 posts

Topic ID #55698
Started 15 years ago
104 community credits
391 contributors
1,095 posts | 502,676 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 200 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 0.550 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook