RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - General queries about USMLE  
 Page 13 of 22 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

anaida
Aim USMLE Step 2 CS

THANK YOU ASH B

UNANSWERED: BUY DRIVERS LICENSE ONLINE realdocumentservices.com, WE PROCESS AND PRODUCE BOTH REAL AND FAKE DRIVER'S LICENSE.

danan
Aim USMLE Jobs

thanx ashB and anand-prabhu for your reply.you are correct, internship does not come under transfer of credits. and regarding the clerikship do i have to write the internship pattern? i found out that many had left columns 19,20,21 blank. should i do the same?

anaida
Aim USMLE Step 2 CS

Hi Ash B, I HAVE ANOTHER QUERY , IS GOOD TO APPEAR IN STEP CS EVEN IF ONE DOESNT PASS IN STEP 2CK ? BECAUSE FOR ME I DONT HAVE PROBLEM OF USA VISA SINCE I ALREADY HAVE A TOURIST VISA OF USA , AND I HAVE A DATE TOO BUT I DONT KNOW THAT SHUD I WAIT TILL I PASS STEP 2CK .
IS IT POSSIBLE TO APPLY IN 2008 RESIDUAL OR COINCIDENTLY VACANT SEATS IF I TAKE STEP 2CS IN 2008 ITSELF.KINDLY...................... THANKS.

AshB

anaida wrote:
Hi Ash B, I HAVE ANOTHER QUERY , IS GOOD TO APPEAR IN STEP CS EVEN IF ONE DOESNT PASS IN STEP 2CK ? BECAUSE FOR ME I DONT HAVE PROBLEM OF USA VISA SINCE I ALREADY HAVE A TOURIST VISA OF USA , AND I HAVE A DATE TOO BUT I DONT KNOW THAT SHUD I WAIT TILL I PASS STEP 2CK .
IS IT POSSIBLE TO APPLY IN 2008 RESIDUAL OR COINCIDENTLY VACANT SEATS IF I TAKE STEP 2CS IN 2008 ITSELF.KINDLY...................... THANKS.

There is no problem whatsoever in taking CS before CK if you don't have visa issues and the additional expenses of an extra US visit. Technically, if you can finish your steps with results before mid-Feb, you are eligible for match of 2008. But how many programs would consider you that late is the question, which won't be many. But you can give it a try if you want.

anaida
Aim USMLE Step 2 CS

AshB, I dont know if you have really noticed that i have failed in CK and if with failed CK i appear , does it make a difference to my Step CS passage or no? Like cud they be biased with that result?

AshB

anaida wrote:
AshB, I dont know if you have really noticed that i have failed in CK and if with failed CK i appear , does it make a difference to my Step CS passage or no? Like cud they be biased with that result?

I know your CK status. They never even know the status of your other steps. even if they did, it would NEVER affect your CS outcome. Rest assures, your CS passage will be absolutely unaffected by your CK result.

anaida
Aim USMLE Step 2 CS

AshB wrote:
anaida wrote:

I know your CK status. They never even know the status of your other steps. even if they did, it would NEVER affect your CS outcome. Rest assures, your CS passage will be absolutely unaffected by your CK result.

Thank you

danan
Aim USMLE Jobs

hi everyone kindly help me out ,i do not have a permanent degree which will be issued later,i have my provisional degree ,my query is what should i write in 'date of issue of medical diploma?'--the date which is on the provisional degree or should i leave it blank?.
i am applying as graduate and as someone mentioned in the previous post my transcrit has the details of clerkships in hours rather than months,should i leave them blank ?[I AM APPLYING AS GRADUATE].

AshB

danan wrote:
hi everyone kindly help me out ,i do not have a permanent degree which will be issued later,i have my provisional degree ,my query is what should i write in 'date of issue of medical diploma?'--the date which is on the provisional degree or should i leave it blank?.
i am applying as graduate and as someone mentioned in the previous post my transcrit has the details of clerkships in hours rather than months,should i leave them blank ?[I AM APPLYING AS GRADUATE].

You can leave the clerkships column blank.

Regarding degree, i know for sure that your provisional degree won't be accepted, so i guess you should apply as a student and attach a letter by your dean stating the date by which your degree will be issued.

But before taking any step, just call up ECFMG to confirm you are not missing anything. A 10 min call would save you a lot of headache later.

carbamazepine
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hey someone who has taken a step please help me.
I have my step next month and I wish to know what all can I/ should I take inside with me for the break time?
I am not in touch with anyon who has been thru the process.
Please help me

AshB

carbamazepine wrote:
Hey someone who has taken a step please help me.
I have my step next month and I wish to know what all can I/ should I take inside with me for the break time?
I am not in touch with anyon who has been thru the process.
Please help me

Take something that you can eat quickly like chocolates, biscuits, sandwiches, fruits. You can take coffee/tea and things like Red Bull energy drink to keep glucose normal. But beware, sometimes too much coffee and drinks wreak havoc on your baldder! icon_biggrin.gif

Nothing is allowed inside the testing area but you are provided with a locker just outside the testing area which you can access during the breaks.

janet_dennis
Aim NEET PG

hello can someone post the format for the transcripts in muhs university

AshB

janet_dennis wrote:
hello can someone post the format for the transcripts in muhs university

There is some discussion on this topic here..
Only RxPG members can see links here! Register or Login!

dr_2k7
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

Hi
Hello Ash B
This is a pretty useful post
Many thanks to U for starting such a post and ur patience to answer questions.
I am also having some queries
a little long list.
But pls be patient to answer them.
Thanks in advance

M done with step 1
planning for step 2
I am now totally blank
don't know what to do
prepare for CS r CK?
when should I apply for visa?
how should I apply?
from where should I apply?
m from India.
what is the first thing I should do now?

katy

do you think taking part in kapnan classes
is good for step 1,2 ?

or is it the same as kaplan dvd
Ash ,have you taken part in kaplan classes

voldemort
Aim Australia

Hi I just want to do my residency from the USA in psychiatry....what should be my ideal score...how are the chaces?Plzzzzzz help...

katy

Dear Ash B plz answer my qs

AshB

dr_2k7 wrote:

M done with step 1
planning for step 2
I am now totally blank
don't know what to do
prepare for CS r CK?
when should I apply for visa?
how should I apply?
from where should I apply?
m from India.
what is the first thing I should do now?

CS prep is just a couple of weeks at the max which you can do once you get you visa or even after landing in US. So go on with CK.

To apply go to ECFMG website.

To apply for visa go to vfs-usa website (google it for exact link). And go through the visa forum's FAQ and hot topics. Apply for visa around few weeks before your planned visit to US.

AshB

katy wrote:
do you think taking part in kapnan classes
is good for step 1,2 ?

or is it the same as kaplan dvd
Ash ,have you taken part in kaplan classes

Thats more of a personal decision. I personally feel Kaplan classed are good but they are not essential. Plus they are a hindrance for someone who wants to get through quickly with his/her steps because they take 3 months long for the first review. But then they discipline you and you get that environment to compete which stimulates you.

Go through our FAQ thread on Kaplan coaching for detailed discussions.

AshB

voldemort wrote:
Hi I just want to do my residency from the USA in Psychiatry....what should be my ideal score...how are the chaces?Plzzzzzz help...

Buddy ideal score is 260+ in both steps and even Step3.

Psychiatry is relatively less competitive but still given the current state of affairs its not a cakewalk. If you can get 90s scores and get other factors right, you may have a fair chance at a good psychiatry program.

katy

Ash B, thank you

shwetagr
Aim Australia

hi ashB,
i ve just given my step 1 , now i want to prepare 4 step2 ck, could u just guide me about the books.

karthik_sm
Aim DM Neurology

Help regarding Step 1
hello,
I am thinking of giving my step1 in may, step2 CK in august, and
CS in November.

1. I wanted to know how early should i book the dates for step 1 in current scenario?
2. How late can i give CS if i have to match in 2009??
3. Will i be eligible for match in 2009??
4. If i want to do Externship/Observership, can i do it when i go to US in November(will the time period be sufficient)?
5. For observership/externship, What category of Visa to apply for??

Can anyone please help me in this matter..

Thanks in Advance..

itsjusnobody
Aim USMLE Step 1

there are no deadlines for registering for step1, you should do it atleast 6 months prior to your desired test date..this will help you get the test centre of your choice..
since you want to give the test in may,
the ideal time to apply/register for step 1 would be NOW
by the end of jan you should schedule your test date and location,
once you are done with the test in may you can expect your scores within 3-6weeks..i f you've passed you will be eligible for step2

itsjusnobody
Aim USMLE Step 1

remember..choose your 3-month eligibility period wisely. if you need to reschedule outside your period, you must submit a new application along with another application fee

drjanet
Aim USMLE Step 1

how many copies of medical transcript shud one get from college.

also since i am in usa the form 183 shud be signed by the dean only or else what i can do,do reply.

drche

Re: Help regarding Step 1
karthik_sm wrote:
hello,
CS in November.

1. I wanted to know how early should i book the dates for step 1 in current scenario?
4. If i want to do Externship/Observership, can i do it when i go to US in November(will the time period be sufficient)?

Thanks in Advance..

hello karthik,
1. try getting a eligibility period now so that u get the choice of center and date of exam.
2. the ideal time to take cs is june-july, as u can apply for match with the result of cs too on september 1st itself.
3. U'll be eligible for match2009 if u finish step1,2ck and cs and get ecmfg certified before february 2009.
4.of course, u do the observerships/externships in USA only, or sometimes some place like UK/Canada also counts.
5. For obsie/externs u apply for b1/b2 visa.

drche

itsjusnobody wrote:
there are no deadlines for registering for step1, you should do it atleast 6 months prior to your desired test date..this will help you get the test centre of your choice..
since you want to give the test in may,
the ideal time to apply/<a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=new_user"><b>Register</b></a> for step 1 would be NOW
by the end of jan you should schedule your test date and location,
once you are done with the test in may you can expect your scores within 3-6weeks..i f you've passed you will be eligible for step2

hi there,
u dont have to pass step1 to be eligible for step2..

drche

itsjusnobody wrote:
remember..choose your 3-month eligibility period wisely. if you need to reschedule outside your period, you must submit a new application along with another application fee

also, u get to have a one time extension of the 3 month eligiblity period paying 50 USD. After that, u have to make a fresh application if u need to apply again.
cheers..

drche

Re: Help regarding Step 1
drche wrote:
karthik_sm wrote:
hello,
CS in November.

Thanks in Advance..

hello karthik,
1. try getting a eligibility period now so that u get the choice of center and date of exam.
2. the ideal time to take cs is june-july, as u can apply for match with the result of cs too on september 1st itself.
3. U'll be eligible for match2009 if u finish step1,2ck and cs and get ecmfg certified before february 2009.
4.of course, u do the observerships/externships in USA only, or sometimes some place like UK/<a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum46.html">Canada</a>
also counts.
5. For obsie/externs u apply for b1/b2 visa.

sorry, a lil clarification: 1. by getting an eligibility period now i meant to book for ur exam now and to get a comfortable 3 month period sometime in march-april-may or so.
2. to apply to ERAS on september 1 and not for match. icon_redface.gif
3. step1,2ck,2cs- all passed + final degree verified by ecfmg> ecfmg certified> eligible to go into match.
icon_biggrin.gif cheers..

drche

drjanet wrote:
how many copies of medical transcript shud one get from college.

also since i am in usa the form 183 shud be signed by the dean only or else what i can do,do reply.

hi there,

How many copies do u get? icon_eek.gif i thought u get only 1 transcript? nwayz..

Since its 183 u asked about,i'm afraid that u have to get it signed by the college official itself. see this:

Sign and date the Certification Statement (Form 183) in the presence of your Medical School Dean, Vice Dean, or Registrar. The medical school official must sign and date the Certification Statement (Form 183) and provide his/her name, official title, and the institution name. The signature of the medical school official must be current; the official must have signed the Certification Statement (Form 183) within four months of the date that it is received at ECFMG.

If it were form 186(for graduates) u cud have got it signed by a notary public also..

katy

could you tell it is better to study kaplan notes
for more times than study other books along
with kaplan for both steps
,i mean if we study only kaplan it is better more times
or have a choice for each subject

karthik_sm
Aim DM Neurology

thanks a lot, drche and itsjusnobody.

actually i think it wud be very tough to give my CS anytime before sept since i have to give my CK also.

i have 1 more doubt, do i need to have passport with me when i am filling the form???
also, do i have to chose my eligibility period wen i fill in the form?? or is it after my application has been accepted after verification??

thanks a lot!!

Regards,
Karthik S M

dipsite
Aim USMLE Step 1

Quote:
i have 1 more doubt, do i need to have passport with me when i am filling the form???

Passport is required at the time of examination as an identity proof.

Siyaa

Hi Ash , i tried brwosing thru rescheduling of examination , i cudnt find one aspect which was can we reschedule to other country , for instance currently i am scheduled for canada , in case i need to take it in India within the same eligibility period.can i do that? I cud notice the extra charges reqd for talking tests in india but didnt find the rescheduling option country to country. If u have any idea about it.
Thanks

AshB

Siyaa wrote:
Hi Ash , i tried brwosing thru rescheduling of examination , i cudnt find one aspect which was can we reschedule to other country , for instance currently i am scheduled for <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum46.html">Canada</a>
, in case i need to take it in India within the same eligibility period.can i do that? I cud notice the extra charges reqd for talking tests in india but didnt find the rescheduling option country to country. If u have any idea about it.
Thanks

As far as i know you can't change the testing region. To do that you have to re-register and pay your fees again. But its better to call up ECFMG for and the exact and current rules.

manipalguy
Aim AIIMS

Dear Ashb
With Gods Blessing and all of my friends good wishes I passeed my Step 1 with a score of 96/230.

1. I have downloaded the score report which was in pdf format but what I wanna know is do I have to get the official USMLE trancript also?.

2. Will the downloaded score report be considered as valid during my Visa Interview or The official Transcript?
3. Should I get the transcript for each step as I go on passing them or should I get it once I passed all the steps.?

AshB

manipalguy wrote:
Dear Ashb
With Gods Blessing and all of my friends good wishes I passeed my Step 1 with a score of 96/230.

1. I have downloaded the score report which was in pdf format but what I wanna know is do I have to get the official <a href="http://www.rxpgonline.com/forum5.html">USMLE</a>
trancript also?.

2. Will the downloaded score report be considered as valid during my Visa Interview or The official Transcript?
3. Should I get the transcript for each step as I go on passing them or should I get it once I passed all the steps.?

Congratulations manipalguy. 230 is a good score and I know its a big big relief when you get a good score in your first step after all the anxiety. This ensures that at least score won't be the major hurdle during match. Good luck with your subsequent steps!

The pdf score report is completely valid. Just print it and you can use it during your visa interview too.

We DO NOT need the USMLE transcript, neither do we ever get to see it. It is directly send to the programs by ECFMG when we apply for residency via ERAS.

manipalguy
Aim AIIMS

Thanks AshB.
I know its kinda releif.. Thanks for all your help. I would be needing it in future also

aresalan

can anybody tell me without doing residency can any one appear for part 3??urgent

shankardada

Time for finishing all t steps
is 4 mths preperation enough for getting 90+ scores.
i plan to do intensive preperation, sitting and studying throughout the day, say around 10 hrs per day.
is kaplan notes + first aid + kaplan q bank enough for step.I would like to finish all the 2 steps by august 2008. what if i finish my steps late say by november? can i apply for residency slot then? what r the chances of my gettin into residency then?please advise.
thanking u in advance

Jedai

aresalan wrote:
can anybody tell me without doing residency can any one appear for part 3??urgent

Yes ...you certainly can...

Jedai

Btw...i hope buddy you were talkin about Usmle step3....

I have no idea as to what this part 3 is...?

Quote:

....hope this helps....

tinki1
Aim NEET PG

Hi friends.

I completed my MBBS in 2004 and worked in a hospital for 2 years in India.Now i wish to take USMLE exams but i am very apprehensive(heard that old IMGS dont get into rsidency prog) about getting success becoz i wont be ready fr the match before 2010-11(6-7 years after graduation).What should i do to increase my chances(which look minimal now) of gettin matched?

Does a short(6 mths) research experience outside US in field of Genetics(Germany -as my husband is working here) would help me??I shall be highly grateful if u can help me as i am in a depressed state of mind.
best, [/b]

aresalan

usmle
after getting licence of usa medical council can we do job there as a doctor?how much they pay per month??what r expensis like living ,food etc.what will be total expensis for part 1,2,3 etc...urgent please[/GVideo][/list][/list]

Jedai

Re: <a href=
aresalan wrote:
after getting licence of usa medical council can we do job there as a doctor?how much they pay per month??what r expensis like living ,food etc.what will be total expensis for part 1,2,3 etc...urgent please[/GVideo][/list][/list]

Buddy you have a lotta Urgency!!!

believe me even if i give all the info you've asked for...
you'll still be havin many more queries....

so i'ld rather suggest tht you read the USMLE step 1 forum 1st coz i believe you havent even started with step1...

you'll getta better idea of how to go abt doin things...

"after getting licence of usa medical council can we do job there as a doctor"
..& I'm sorry i'm unable to understand what you actually wanna know....
but yes you work as a Resident Dr.. after clearin ur MLE's

"how much they pay per month"

..anything between $2500- $4500

"what r expensis like living ,food etc"
depends on wat you eat & where you live!!!

"what will be total expensis for part 1,2,3 etc"
Dude...i'm sorry...
wont answer that....
you need to find that out on your own....
you dont even know step2 has 2 parts!!!

& next time plz post your queries in the aproriate forum....

dipsite
Aim USMLE Step 1

@shankardada
First of all interesting Name. icon_wink.gif
Quote:
i plan to do intensive preperation, sitting and studying throughout the day, say around 10 hrs per day.

Hmmm... I am impressed. icon_wink.gif

Quote:
is kaplan notes + first aid + kaplan q bank enough for step

NO. Other books:- High Yield NeuroAnatomy, BRS Behavioral, Kaplan Q Book.

Quote:
I would like to finish all the 2 steps by august 2008.

Please don't try to play Twenty-20. icon_biggrin.gif Give your STEPs as and when you feel comfortable.

Quote:
what if i finish my steps late say by november? can i apply for residency slot then? what r the chances of my gettin into residency then?please advise.

Yes, you can apply For Residency but chances won't be bright. Its better to delay Match by One Year. icon_sad.gif

Quote:
thanking u in advance

Your problems are more than welcome. icon_biggrin.gif icon_smile.gif

aresalan

usmle
thanks alot for the reply.would u plz tell me how much is pass persentage?total marks is out of 350.how much is minimum passing score?if i get 150/350in part 1 and 150/350 in ck should i get residency in medicine.??urgent plz?

Jedai

Re: <a href=
aresalan wrote:
thanks alot for the reply.would u plz tell me how much is pass persentage?total marks is out of 350.how much is minimum passing score?if i get 150/350in part 1 and 150/350 in ck should i get residency in medicine.??urgent plz?

No dude...thats wont be enuf....i guess

tinki1
Aim NEET PG

usmle.....old graduate..
Dipsite , Ash B ........please reply to my question...need advice of specialists out there......

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 13 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> General queries about USMLE

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 17 years
1,575 active members | 4,607 posts

Topic ID #55698
Started 15 years ago
104 community credits
391 contributors
1,095 posts | 502,678 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 98 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 2.219 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook