RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

Author: super7PostPosted:     Post subject:

Lippincott Biochem......i heard that's the book for PG entrance.Is Satya+lippincott enough?Is Harper a must?

Author: devajyotiPostPosted:     Post subject:

RxPG :: View topic - Books for I MBBS Books for I MBBS

RxPG -> MBBS - Being a Medical Student In India

Author: devajyoti PostPosted:     Post subject: List: Books for I MBBS [#]

HERE R SOME OF THE BOOKS I SUGGEST FOR I ST YEAR MBBS:

ANATOMY:

*CHAURASIA---must(full)--preferably ul,ll.thorax. abd.
*DUTTA----HEAD N NECK( i read from it n found it simply great n better than bdc'c h & n)
*I.B.SINGH--EMBRYOLOGY--easier
*I.B.SINGH-NEUROANAT.(must)

**refer---*SNELL's(very good book,, see the tables for eg. the actions, nrve n bld. supply of muscles)

---*NETTER'S ATLAS( U CAN EVEN BUY THIS BOOK IF U CAN AFFORD....ITS WORTH N LL HELP U THROUGHT....WHETHER IT BE SURG, ENT, OPHTHO..)

PHYSIOLOGY

(actually there is no one complete n nice book, so)

*GUYTON--start reading a topic from it
*GANONG-- THE ULTIMATE BOOK FOR PG....try to master it after u have developed interest in the subject by doing some topics from guyton..

TRY TO DO BOTH THE BOOKS SIMULTANEOUSLY(GUYTON FIRST BUT GANONG MOST ATTENTIVELY)

**ref----*A.K.JAIN(is a good book to start with but with lots of mistakes....is almost a copy of ganong.....so cross check with ganong....can be a useful book to those not much interested in this sub but not sufficient)

----*vander--can be refered to when all the above books fail to ans some of ur Queries for i found explainations to some Qs of mine that wasn't given in any of the above books

BIOCHEMISTRY

*VASUDEVAN ( i personally found it better for the tables, flowcharts n explainations r simple n easy to retain n still elaborate n complete} so i strongly recommend this book
*HARPER--is important for pg(people say) but i couldn't develop much interest in this book....should be also read if have interest in this subject FOR BIOCHEM IS AN IMP SUB FOR PG ENTRANCE
*SATYANARAYAN----I went through this book to.. the only advantage of this book is that its presentation is good n clear but its not enough singly for many things rn't given completely here. should be kept as a book 2nd to any one of the other two
super7 wrote:
Lippincott Biochem......i heard that's the book for PG entrance.Is Satya+lippincott enough?Is Harper a must?

as far as my knowledge and experience about the subject is concerned ......Lipincott is no doubt a very good book especially if u r interested in USMLE n if u like the subject.....

however it was the pictoral illustrations in that book that made me refer that book or for that reson any lipincott book like in micro n patho....for it made things easy to remember for me.......

well i believe satya n lippincott is good enough if u have once in a while access to harper when u r solving mcqs...

i say so because surely u can answer all the conceptual ans from the books u have for there is no additional concepts in harper .....but u may need to refer Harper for the few tough factual data kind of thing given in Harper only......anyways its difficult to retain them till the end...so i don't think its a must....just read from a book that u find interesting n make ur basics strong.......

i went through satya(full), vasudevan(full) n somethings from lippin......n personally found Vasudevan so inteesting that i changed from satya to it midway in 1st year....good luck

Author: devajyoti PostPosted:     Post subject:

IS IT HELPFUL GUYS

Author: super7 PostPosted:     Post subject:

thank u for ur reply.......can u tell me about Neuroanat.,Which book do u recommend?I want to know the subject in detail with clinical knowledge.I'm not bothered abt marks.Snell neuroanat. is what i have heard but having read reviews in Amazon from customers,they say it's a horrible book............plz help........

Author: devajyoti PostPosted:     Post subject: neuroanat

super7 wrote:
thank u for ur reply.......can u tell me about Neuroanat.,Which book do u recommend?I want to know the subject in detail with clinical knowledge.I'm not bothered abt marks.Snell neuroanat. is what i have heard but having read reviews in Amazon from customers,they say it's a horrible book............plz help........

go for i.b.singh n refer dutta's neuroanat....

some find krishna garg easy for exams but since...u r not interested in marks u need not even open this book...

dutta's neuroanat is a great book with lots of informations n will really help u to build ur knowledge n concept but i suggest u do topics from it after u after doing the same from inderbir singh neuroanat(its simpler)

hope its useful....good luck

Author: contactKhans PostPosted:     Post subject:

Hi All ,
We are having MD/MS/PG-DIPLOMA/MBBS/MDS/BDS Management quota seats in Karnataka,
If interested Kindly call on 81..47..83..81..29....

Author: Mosbyland PostPosted:     Post subject:

I just entered MBBS I. I have the following books.

Anatomy: Chaurasia
IB Singh for Neuranat Histo and Osteo
Netters Atlas
Langman and IB for Embryology
Halim for Surface and Radiological Anat

Physiology: Guytons
Indhu Khurana

Biochem: Vasudevan
Harpers

Is this good? I don't want to study only for marks, and also want to be prepared for PG entrance.

Author: jasonsampaul PostPosted:     Post subject:

for pg preparation use gannong. not guyton

Author: sarthakd PostPosted:     Post subject:

is vishram singh is good for Neuro anatomy or bdc?? I'm having only these two.. so plz suggest any one of them..

Author: vitamin_anks PostPosted:     Post subject:

I have got most of the books mentioned in your post...for biochemistry i have lipincott's(new) and harper(1988edition)...should i go for vasudevan and satyanarayana?..and for physio i hav GANONG and a.k.jain...should i buy GUYTON??..now for anatomy i have B.D.C. and for histology i purchased GUNASEGRAM on seniors advice..will it be enough?

Author: NoorAhmadLari PostPosted:     Post subject:

Thank you sir.

I choose the following combination, pl tell me if m ryt.
Physio- Guyton+Ganong
Anatomy- Gray+BDC
Biochem-Harper+LippinCott

Hey buddy...even i bought the same combination as you put forward but what my seniors told that you must supplement a foreign writers book with an indian writer.……and 1 more thing...ganong at basic level is much harder to grasp so prefer reading guyton...

Hey buddy...even i bought the same combination as you put forward but what my seniors told that you must supplement a foreign writers book with an indian writer.……and 1 more thing...ganong at basic level is much harder to grasp so prefer reading guyton...

Author: Nik1994 PostPosted:     Post subject:

Anatomy
upper limb and lower limb BDC nerves arteries from Dutta
Abdomen and thorax Dutta
HnF mix both Dutta and BDC
Neuroantomy Vishram Singh
Embroyology Sant
Histology I B S
Genral BDC

Physiology:
DO A K JAIN. Hands down the best book
Endocrinology Khuranna
General Guyton

Biochemistry:
Satyanarayana
Small topics and Vasudevan
Genetics Harpers

Author: dakshsingh PostPosted:     Post subject:

for neuro anat dude... go with vishram singh awosome book n for clinical questions...go for snell s neuro anatomy....rockss!!!

vishram singh buddy...that book rocks... will help u eveen with u r cns in physiology...

ganong rocks.... me a big fan of ganong... has a bit of pharma in it but go for it nothing like that...

Author: kamal413 PostPosted:     Post subject:

thanks

Author: bimb0510 PostPosted:     Post subject:

ANATOMY

Gross-
Grays anatomy for students; know the basics, build concepts, yes, anatomy can be conceptual!
BD Chaurasia; more detailed, clinical anatomy, diagrams are a major drawback, best friend for exams
Netter/Sabota/Thieme; an atlas is a must
Optional- Cunningham; dissection manual, if you read this book, youre getting an anatomy distinction
Keith L Moore; Best clinical anatomy
Grays 40E; when confused, this is the mother book. Look up for the awesome diagrams.

Neuro-
I personally love this subject.
Snells clinical neuroanatomy; no better book
Vishram Singh; exam partner, some chapters very good

Embryology-
Langman; one and only

Histology-
IB Singh ; DiFiore’s is a good atlas ; Ross is a higher level option(not needed though)

PHYSIOLOGY

No single book serves the purpose here.
Guyton; good book to understand concepts for the first time
Ganong; excellently 'reinforces' concepts, PG exam
RL Bijlani; lesser known book, nonethless, a good one. It has a literary style to it. Special senses is excellent in it. Blood, environmental, nerve muscle are good.
Optional- JB West essentials; respiratory physio book, if you have time, read circulation and mechanics from it.

BIOCHEMISTRY

Harper; excellent book, must reads are metabolism, plasma proteins, iron biochemistry, hemoglobin.
Lippincott; protein structure, lipoproteins, nucleotides, amino acid metab, RNA.
Levinson; immunology

RxPG -> MBBS - Being a Medical Student In India