RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - First MBBS Help desk  
 Page 1 of 1

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

First MBBS Help desk
Hi there all you first MBBS freshers.I hope you are really enjoying yourselves.

If you need any help do not hesitate to ask.I am here to help you out.

regards
superashdoc

UNANSWERED: Am I too old(24) for mbbs?

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

Got into MBBS.Now what?
I remember the day I got into MBBS.And then the day I passed out of it.What transpired in between the two days changed my life just as it changed the lives of the innumerable doctors that you see around you.This article is not about boring philosophies or emotional anecdotes -it is about the stark reality.

Getting into MBBS through a state or national level entrance examination is a great achievement.Give yourself a pat on the back.Have a party or a short picnic if you like.Then......just snap out of it!

Death is no laughing matter.And that's what you are going to be up against first-dead bodies!'Cadavers', if you please.For a full year ahead ,you are going to take them apart piece by piece,till you have the anatomy by heart.

All that you have learnt before MBBS is toast,my dears.Nothing is going to help you hence forth!(including old merit ranks and medals)
Wipe your mind clean and start afresh.

English language begins with A,B,C.MBBS begins with:-B,A,P.
B=Biochemistry
A=Anatomy
P=Physiology

I wrote Biochem first because you may find it familiar.Your Botany metabolic cycles will appear here albeit in a more detailed form.
Standard books are Rana-Shinde and Harper.But my personal favourite is the lucid and attractive Satyanarayan.Try it.It gave me a 'D'(distinction).

Next comes Anatomy-your first close encounter with the Human Body.'Cunningham'is your dissection partner-keep him near.Also refer the 'McMinn's' atlas to identify the various structures easily.

Don't hurry with your dissection.Show some patience and some finesse-go layer by layer.Use blunt dissection rather than having a field day with the scalpel.Wear gloves.Fingers are the best tools of blunt dissection .Do not hesitate to use them.

Chaurasia is irreplacable.Don't be distracted by names like Snell,Last and Gray's.Snell has good diagrams.Last is a good revision book(to be done last).Gray is huge and a reference book(strains your gray cells).Embryology is best learnt from Keith Moore.(IBSingh is an exam book.CVS and Pharyngeal arches given well)
Bhatnagar is the best for genetics.Halim das for surface anat.Chaurasia for General anat.Histology-de-fiore for journal and IBSingh for theory.

Last but not the least is Physiology.Interesting and addictive,this is your foundation for medicine.So,NO SHORT CUTS.Tide over your exams with Vijaya Joshi and Deepak Bhadra but master your concepts and systems from GUYTON.

Do not forget to buy the Question Bank from Bhalani/National of previous papers.Start at least 1 month before prelims.After clarifying concepts for 9 months,this is the easy mugging part.

Do all the questions,short notes and MCQs (use standard MCQ books)at least 2-3 times till your final exam.

Try to pass all the internal exams but dont get disheartened if you do fail in one or two.This is a learning curve.Discuss with your seniors and find the right balance.Be smart and confident in vivas.Try not to bluff but keep your wits about you.

Reserve your biggest effort for the finals.He laughs best who laughs last.

Make a small group of like minded students and learn group study.It will help a lot in the long run.

This in short is a guide to your first year in Medicine.Work hard,play hard.Enjoy this new phase of life.

Good bye and God bless.

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

Satyanarayan or harper?
Hi guys.I saw this very pertinant question in one of the threads.Satya or Harper for Biochem?

Well,let me tell you that for 1st MBBS it is mandatory for us to master the basics of Biochemistry.Secondly as we have very less time,Harper could be a tough and lengthy book.

This is what you must do.Our primary aim is to learn all long ans and short ans by heart.For that buy the Qbank and start Question wise.Take Satya as your primary book.Some Questions may not be given justice in Satya.Only for these,you must refer either Rana Shinde or Lippincott or Harper.Write down those ans in a notebook for easy reference.(you dont have to refer that book again now)

MCQs given at the end of each chapter in Lippincott are very imp.Do them well.Also do the MCQs in a PG prep MCQ book -like salgunan/PG plus.Usually the mcqs in your papers are picked up from there.

Harper is good for the recombinant DNA and genetics related chapters.Do read them.For the rest stick to Satya.

Rana Shinde is a terrific book from the academic point of view.But I feel it is too much too soon for you people.So go slow.

Revise at least 3 times all answers .Make the flowcharts of all metabolic processes and stick them on the walls or place them under a glass on your desk.Revise 2 or 3 of them everyday before you sleep.Biochem is volatile!!So be regular .Don't keep a gap of more than 3 days between any 2 sittings of Biochem.

Success will be yours.

regards
superashdoc

PS:I had 163/200 in Biochem.So I succeeded in this pattern.

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

Why does the glucose level of a diabetic patient elevate on gettin fever or sickness?
This was a question asked in one of the threads by Fiery flawless.The answer is that whenever the body is under any stress eg:fever or sickness ,corticosteroids are released .Corticosteroids are responsible for relative insulin resistance and impaired glucose tolerance.

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

Is Guyton better than Ganong?
Not really.But Ganong is too concentrated and difficult to grasp in first year.
Stick to Guyton.It is very simple to understand and explanations are lucid and interesting.Go slow and enjoy it.Soon you will pick up awesome speed-even 100 pages a day.Read for the fun of it and automatically you will be an expert.In Physiology,concepts are everything.

Then near the exam switch over to Vijaya Joshi and Deepak Bhadra for tailormade answers.Add on the extra info you have gathered from Guyton.

Ganong is a recommended PG entrance text but hey guys don't worry.In my coaching class tests for PG ,I used to be consistently in top five inspite of reading Guyton.Just relax and take life as it comes.

regards
superashdoc

THEROCK
Aim NEET PG

hi superashdoc.can u tell me anything about usmle prep

super7
Aim USMLE Step 1

ya, even i wanna know more abt do's & don'ts in first yr for USMLE.
Is parallel preparation possible?

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

Well guys let me tell you that USMLE is a totally different kettle of fish from your routine stuff.I would suggest that in first year don't think about it.
Why not?

First because your scores in each step matter a lot .If you pass in a particular step say step 1 and get only say 75 percentile,that score will stick for life.It will; then diminish your chances of getting a decent branch in the US.So remember that give each step only after a proper prep.

Kaplan's notes,pretests,first-aids and swansons are some of the key books for MLE.I would suggest to give your step one in third part1.By that time you would have completed all your basic sciences as part of your syllabus.Remember ,you also need some of your textbooks like pharmac and patho for your prep.So go slow.Do your subjects thoroughly from texts.Simultaneously cover the MLE books in the vacation after the finals.Dedicate the first 6 months of your 3rd part 1 to the step1 exam.After the exam,just concentrate on your final MBBS.After your MBBS use the 1 year of your internship for your step 2 preparation.

If you proceed in this way ,you will be able to do justice on both counts.

Skate
Aim NEET PG

Hey superashdoc
Should I add a "sir" icon_question.gif Well I wanted to tell you that ur article was very helpful. I was feeling kind of down and confused and ur article really put me on the move. And if u dont mind I need some more help. I have posted a message under the subject "New and in need of help". Can u pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaase answer it. I will be so the thankful. It is in the "I MBBS" Section icon_biggrin.gif Thank you once again

aryarajendran
Aim AIPGE 2016

icon_wink.gif
Hi
I am going to start first year this August.
So can anybody tell me what I am in for ?
Whats the study style, basically what is MBBS all about from a students perspective.

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

Skate wrote in his thread:

Quote:
I need help. I am so nervous. First of all, I will be able to join my college (B.J. Pune - Anyone from there??? Dont ask my name pls) only 3 days after the starting of the session. Will that cause a problem???Perhaps if I move a few handles and handle a few switches I will be able to prepone,. But do I need to?

And all these books everyone is suggesting. I filled a whole page with just their names.
I am so dead. I dont think I will last long. Even when I went to submit my cards in the departments I felt half my brain had shut down.

And ragging. I hav the courage of a mouse. I take most things in good humour but........... Anyone from B.J. who knows how the seniors generally rag ??

Oh! and the bone set. I dont think I will ever muster the courage to ask for one from the seniors. What do I do? Buy one? Is it very expensive?

And hostel. I am so possessive about my things and I dont know how to say no to ppl. Can anyone give me any tips?

And the food and the language. I am from North India and will have to stay in Maharashtra , and with my wits I dont know wat I'll do

Help Please !!! I know I sound pathetic. But cum on u r doctors/future docs. U deal with worry bugs like me, dont u ??

First it is ok if you join 3 days late.

Second ragging is now reduced in scale in comparison to what it was previously at least in Mumbai.I do not know about BJ though.I will tell you one thing though.Be a sport when it comes to ragging.The more you try to avoid it the more they go after you.Consider it as inevitable.But draw the line as to as far as you think you can go .Beyond that be firm but polite and refuse.

There are stringent laws in place against ragging so don't worry too much.AND DONT LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU ARE A MOUSE.

Relax you dont need a bone set till first 2 months have gone by.After that all seniors will become friendly and you can easily ask them or buy it from them.Max price upto Rs.2500 if in great condition.Otherwise anything between 1200 to 2000.

Food wont bother you -usually quite edible.Language-Hindi will be fine,though I think you must try to learn Marathi .

In the hostel,you will learn to share and that helps build lasting friendships.Being isolated wil not help.Make friends,its OK if you get duped once or twice or let down.Thats life.All kinds of people in this world.

Finally let me tell you there are many north Indians doing MBBS and PG in Maharashtra ,so you will have many like you for support.

regards
superashdoc

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

aryarajendran wrote:
icon_wink.gif
Hi
I am going to start first year this August.
So can anybody tell me what I am in for ?
Whats the study style, basically what is MBBS all about from a students perspective.

Hi arya,I have mentioned how to study in my article(also my second post in this thread)The study is basically visual learning backed up by reading.Let ur term begin and then I will clear your difficulties by and by.

Skate
Aim NEET PG

Thank you so much. Your reply was very helpful. And I wont let them know I am a mouse icon_biggrin.gif God bless u

THEROCK
Aim NEET PG

hey super7.this is the rock from GMC PATIALA.yeah we can work together for usmle.I have just given my first prof papers n awaiting the result.u can mail me at s_piyush2006rediffmail.com.if u r interested or can contact me at 09888864317.bye for now. icon_smile.gif

super7
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hi THEROCK,
Sent u a mail............... smiley15.gif

aryarajendran
Aim AIPGE 2016

Thank you, that wd be real helpful !

super7
Aim USMLE Step 1

Hey superashdoc,r we supposed to remember each and every word of Satya. of classification chaps like Lipids and carbs.?

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

super7 wrote:
Hey superashdoc,r we supposed to remember each and every word of Satya. of classification chaps like Lipids and carbs.?

Sorry for the late reply.Was too busy studying.

You need not know that table about the systemic names and abreviations in lipids.But yes you must now the rest by heart.The reason is that satya is the least complex book of all biochem books.If you dont know it verbatim then your answers will seem inadequate .

super7
Aim USMLE Step 1

I'm going to give a presentation on Lipoproteins,I've never done it before.......plz give me some tips

mightchillout

u rock SUPERASHDOC.....

gr8 stuff to read !!

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

super7 wrote:
I'm going to give a presentation on Lipoproteins,I've never done it before.......plz give me some tips

Grasp the subject from lippincott and satya.Then go for a medicine text like Harrison-hypercholesterolemias,hypertriglyceridemias and the like.I think you should emphasize on the clinical utility of lipoproteins and their role in cardiac disease prognosis.

super7
Aim USMLE Step 1

thanks for the reply

lostkid

help!
im a newbie at college too. superdoc ...cud u tell me whts the pattern ppl follow to study first mbbs? ive heard its the toughest of all yrs with the uni exam in the year? and is vasudevan and sreekumari a gud book to follow for biochem? im trying to follow ganong for physio. wht im really scared abt is i dont open cunningham ....i study only fom chaurasia. though ppl tell me to jus read it once.....whts the point if i wont remeber anything ??
thx in advance

lostkid

hi...
hi aryarajendran....im new too..! how far have u ppl reached ? how u found any effective ways of studying yet?

mightchillout

hi lost kid............... looks like u really lost !!!! lol

im in ist MBBS too.............chaurasia is an exam book dude........... and cunningham is ""THE DISSECTION PARTNER"" in the words of sir superashdoc......................

and its realy good too/
effective ways of study????? until now.......hardwork and patience......... do tell me if u discover ne new one..........

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

Re: help!
lostkid wrote:
im a newbie at college too. superdoc ...cud u tell me whts the pattern ppl follow to study first mbbs? ive heard its the toughest of all yrs with the uni exam in the year? and is vasudevan and sreekumari a gud book to follow for biochem? im trying to follow ganong for physio. wht im really scared abt is i dont open cunningham ....i study only fom chaurasia. though ppl tell me to jus read it once.....whts the point if i wont remeber anything ??
thx in advance

Its ok.Cunningham is not meant for remembering or reproducing.It is like a manual for anatomy dissection.Of course chaurasia is the book of choice.
As for vasudevan-yes it is a decent book.if you feel comfortable with it then go for it.

I dont think ganong is right at this moment.I wud recommend Guyton.

lostkid

thx..
thx a lot for a reply tht wasnt sarcastic. is vasudevan ok for biochemisttry? again ....i really appreciate u spending time to help newbie's like me. kudos to u man.!

superashdoc
Aim DNB Part 2

Re: thx..
lostkid wrote:
thx a lot for a reply tht wasnt sarcastic. is vasudevan ok for biochemisttry? again ....i really appreciate u spending time to help newbie's like me. kudos to u man.!

Yes vasudevan is also a standard book.You can use it! So don't worry.Finally its how well you read the book that matters .Make your own answers and revise them thoroughly.1st year is just like 12th standard as far as the prep for exam goes.That should be quite manageable for you guys.

dr_bholah
Aim PLAB Part 1 - 2012 March 22

Great thread

pearllysun
Aim Other

dr_bholah wrote:
Great thread

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

best wishes
pearllysun - moderator.

bestaspirant
Aim AIIMS

Great thread.i hope u people will help me out too.i am from andhra pradesh.i have heard that we are not allowed to write national entrances like AIIMS ,AIPGE etc .is it true?plz reply.
i got my medical seat in a private institution.will it be any problem.faculty and evrything is good.my worry is abt patients.what should i do?

Cunningham's Manual of Practical Anatomy
Completely redesigned in an attractive new format, this popular three-volume manual provides students and practitioners with a comprehensive guide to human anatomy and a dissection guide recognized throughout the world.
 Page 1 of 1
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> MBBS -> First MBBS Help desk

MBBS Community
RxPG community for 18 years
2,877 active members | 10,361 posts

Topic ID #54097
Started 15 years ago
10 contributors
31 posts | 32,154 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 163 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 3.659 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook