RxPG - the perfect Rx for medical Post Graduate entrance blues!
Mobile Edition | Help/Newbie? | 24/7 Support
HOT | PrePG | MCQ | DNB | Careers | Books | Colleges | Dental | DocIndia | PLAB |  USMLE  | Australia | Canada | GLOBAL | OffBeat!
Articles | Forums | MCQ Crammer | Downloads | Mnemonics | Revision Tools | Recent Shouts | All Features

RxPG :: View topic - Is Surgery gettable in US?  
 Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

amtee2

hii everyone,
i m amit...
new to rxpg...i am currently doing internship...
i hv read enough things in these posts...n thnx for all the info's...
since last post is 4 months old...i just wanted to know are these discussions upto the pace as of now (feb07)
as i also wanted to take residency in surgery there...

UNANSWERED: BUY DRIVERS LICENSE ONLINE realdocumentservices.com, WE PROCESS AND PRODUCE BOTH REAL AND FAKE DRIVER'S LICENSE.

AshB

amtee2 wrote:
hii everyone,
i m amit...
new to rxpg...i am currently doing internship...
i hv read enough things in these posts...n thnx for all the info's...
since last post is 4 months old...i just wanted to know are these discussions upto the pace as of now (feb07)
as i also wanted to take residency in surgery there...

Welcome to usmle forums amit!
Yes these discussions have current relevance..

amtee2

thanks ashB...

since i hv seen lot of posts of urs...it seems u know a lot and as a senior plz continue to guide us...

i wanted to know wht status u hv reached till now...

thanks once again...

manohar
Aim USMLE Step 1

can any one explain the term 'pyramid system'.and at what age does one complete ug in the u.s

pristine
Aim GRE

if one is interested in a surgical residency, which subject should one choose to do masters in if going via the gre route ?

senorita
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

gynae --obs is also a cutting branch.can we get that or is it as tough as surgery?wat scores are required?

manohar
Aim USMLE Step 1

hey asHB. I GAVE MYPLAB 2.ICOULDNT GET INTO ANY POST IN THE U.K.SO CAME BACK.IM PLANNING TO TAKE THE MLE. I AM ALREADY 21/2 YEARS OUT OF COLLEGE. WHATACCORD TO U R MY CHANCES OF GETTING IN TO PROGRAM IN THEU.S.PLS REPLY

manohar
Aim USMLE Step 1

hey ashb pls reply.

bridget_jones
Aim USMLE Step 1

-is it possible to prepare for the mle while working as a junior level paediatrician/gynaecologist?
-does a pg diploma in the same subject help in matching into a good program?

senorita
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

plz reply ---wat scores are required for gynae obs.?

bridget_jones
Aim USMLE Step 1

what are the chances of getting into ophthalmology residency ....kindly reply!

caps31382
Aim Indian PG Exams

[b]YUP[/b]
gynae obs is gettable as us is facin acute shortage of this speciality
about more than 50% abortions don have any abortion provider !!
Infact many people have got this branch sp in IMG friendly
hospitals........... icon_wink.gif

bridget_jones
Aim USMLE Step 1

tell us one thing,
does the "pyramid system" work in OB-GYN too as it does in surgery residencies?

senorita
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

thanks caps31382. wat is this pyramid system ?

bridget_jones
Aim USMLE Step 1

in some residencies i've heard that you may get dropped from the programme if you don't perform well or fail to meet the expected standards. that is what we call a pyramid system ie as the programme advances the number of residents keep decreasing. i've heard such a system exists in surgery programmes but i'm clueless about obgyn. somebody, please help!!

katta
Aim NEET PG

ya ... nothing is impossible........

drtash
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

Hello surgeon's in the making!!

my stand is:

1. if u do ur pg in surg in India and then wanna do it again there, here are some tips; in descending order of importance-

*excellent score that is 97+ in both, nothing less..show that ur the cream of India
* publish as many international papers u can
* do a more internationally appealing thesis..u know something that ? with them and that gives u atleast 2-3 papers out of it!!
*try n complete MRCS..will help.
*knowing a surgical PD or externships in surgery with good LOR from states.( this is probly most useful but I most of my colleagues/young guns wont have this option as feasible..not for the common unconnected doc...but yes! if u have connections they always work ..even on the other side of the hemishere...probably better than your scores etc..(read merit)
*loads of luck, but even luck favors the meritorious and gutsy only.

I am a surgeon whose seniors/colleagues have got surgery.(99/96 and 99/97)..I am trying for the same...wish me luck!!

bridget_jones
Aim USMLE Step 1

thanks drtash. but is it possible to work for a score like 99/96 or so while working as a junior level surgeon?
and, what about obgyn? is it as competitive?

drtash
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

I worked for 97+ and got 99..i think u can plan it and get it..i am trying the same for CK.

I personally believe it can be done, but ppl may differ as it is easy for me to say now i guess..to tell u the truth..I started off with nthis target..but there were times when i just gave up on the score and just wanted to finish it...but ya even in those days of despair i just stuck to the plan i made..i mean doing that many pages etc..or questns/day...may be that paid off and ya with luck too...

finally, as i said i am doing the same for CK..i am giving CS in early may..then CK in another 1 mnth..and hoping to get 99...my working idea is with a double 99 even if i dont get the good ones i'll fit in somewhere....

Yes, u can plan it smartly...work on ur weak areas first that r high yield in exam...then strong subjects that r high yield..then weak and low-yield..last strong n low-yield...e.g. i did genetics very well but just covered hardcore biochem thru questns..similarly in other subjects too..i mean u have to tailor ur study..no one else can do it for u...as u know urself best....generally, my idea is that if ur scoring above 80% in any random selection of 50 q..about 15 days b4 exam.... ur ready for 99...and u'll get it...so choose the time fr exam carefully.

as for obg have no idea!! may be sum1 else might help...

manohar
Aim USMLE Step 1

helo dr tash can u please tell us about the books u used 4 preperation.

AshB

Thanks dr tash, u've given valuable suggestions and motivation to all out here. Good luck for ur steps. icon_smile.gif

AshB

I came across a guy who got Ortho this year. He had high scores, recent grad, Work on research in US for 2 years. Connections of his i have no idea.

So stay hopeful guys, cos ortho is even tougher to get than general surgery.

drtask
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

SURGERY RESIDENCY IN USMLE.. ITS POSSIBLE
hi friends i wondered if surgery was impossible to get, for an img.
i got my doubts cleared when one of my seniors got surgery resi this year.

rutika
Aim NEET PG

that's awesome...i too know of someone who got surgery there. which university did ur friend get in? wat special tips does he have to share?

tinkerbell
Aim USMLE Jobs

good scores , green card, some US clinical experience (observership / externship) are some factors that aid one in getting a surgery residency.

drtask
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

he got into mayo clinic

mahana
Aim Australia

i have also heard the same thing even know the persons who cant get residency in surgery inspite of 99% in both steps is it possible now

tinkerbell
Aim USMLE Jobs

mahana wrote:
i have also heard the same thing even know the persons who cant get residency in surgery inspite of 99% in both steps is it possible now

being called for interviews is easier if one has good scores.. making an impression and matching with a surgery residency is a different ball game.

observership and clinical experience can boost one`s resume.

drtask
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

you are right tinkerbell he had double 97.

superdockolli
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi!!!
yup i did hear that getting into surgery is difficult but not impossible...
i also heard that there is no pyramid system now...
the pyramid system , which existed earlier, where if the resident was not up to mark, he/she will be asked to leave that residency programme in any year they are... i have heard that this pyramid system had been scraped now... is that true???

itsjusnobody
Aim USMLE Step 1

hello there,
im a 2nd mbbs student.. n im interested in pursuing interventional cardio/radiology..i hv a GC and am currently carrying out a research<my first one>..how many researches r u sposd to carry out, to ensure getting residencies in above fields, n around how much must i score in each step?
plz help..itll help me clear a lotta doubts

itsjusnobody
Aim USMLE Step 1

forgot to mention...wat sort of contacts do you need?..something like lORs?..
THANK YOU

Whiterose
Aim USMLE Step 1

itsjusnobody wrote:
hello there,
im a 2nd mbbs student.. n im interested in pursuing interventional cardio/radiology..i hv a GC and am currently carrying out a research<my first one>..how many researches r u sposd to carry out, to ensure getting residencies in above fields, n around how much must i score in each step?
plz help..itll help me clear a lotta doubts

HEY ITSJUSNOBODY,

SEE THERE IS NO DEFINITE NO. OF RESEARCHES DAT U NEED TO DO TO GET NY SPECIFIC RESIDENCY,AS PER ECFMG.
BT SURE,,DEY ADD UP A BIG WAY IN UR CREDENTIALS.

SINCE U R GC HOLDER N U R DOIN RESEARCH--IT WILL SURELY HELP U A LONG WAY IN GETTIN RESIDENCY OF UR CHOICE.

SINCE WAT U R AIMING AT, R THE MOST COMPETITIVE BRANCHES--AIM N PLAN 4 GETTIN SCORES IN HIGH 90Z.

U R ALREADY ON THE RIGHT PATH,,KEEP CONSISTENT.

drtask
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

pyramid system still exists in some hospitals ,
this info is from a friend of mine who is in residency( pgy1)

jennytj
Aim USMLE Step 2 CK

I am presently doing my pg in Ophthalmology.Will it help me in getting into an Ophthalmology residency programme in US?....kindly reply.

drkaly
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi..great posts..thanx to all..i'm also a surgery aspirant..presently juz seriously into my step1 prep..all the best to all...

doc_g
Aim Surgery

is this thread dead???
wat are the recent updates on people getting into surgery in the us !!!
suggestions advice from them !!!
!!???

drnirrag
Aim MS Othopaedics

guys ... thanks for all the advice til now !

i hav a couple of questions...

1. is there a duty doctor system in the us wher one can practice the equivalent of mbbs here n not go for residency ? if yes how is it done ?

2. i have finished my mbbs n internship... i was class topper... but did no research ... currently prep for pgmee ... where do i do research from now ?

pls help me out

margret
Aim AIPGE 2011

hi every1
hi ...im final yr medical student.....is ther anychance tht i do ma internship in US...i like to do PG in sugery...is there a difference between MS/MCh???
hw much should i score in step1& step2......????i dnt ve a green card...im foreighn medical student...plz help

drprashantgynae

availibility of OBG in USA
Hi, i am gynaecologist practicing in Bangalore, aspiring for OBG resident posts in US, i am about to give my step 1 exam this month. Can anybody suggest me plannning OBG in USA rt or wrong ? and want to know availibility and how much should i score in mle ???

bensd
Aim AIIMS

Hi guys !!
Thanks for all the help !!

drnks
Aim Other

i gave usmle step 1 in year 2011 got 62 percentile failed in 2012 i sit for indian pg got only diplomas , now i wanan pursue gain in usmle , my uncle is doctor there , so i wanna ask
IS IT WORTH TO GIVE STEP ONE ONCE YOU FAILED ???? WILL IT BE GOOD DESICION PLS PLS HELP ME

drprasad10

surgery in usa
one surgeon from sion told me ,it is difficult,but not impossible
but,u need to be extraordinary for that

risingbull
Aim USMLE Step 2 CS

doing pg in surgery in India does it improve chances of getting surgery residency in us?

saavi
Aim UK Exams

Re: FAQ: Is Surgery gettable in US?
AshB wrote:
Hi guys.. Surgery is a highly glam branch yet ever elusive for those planning to get it in US. Lets discuss here all the possibilities pertaining to a surgery residency in US.

Yes, you can get a surgery residency, despite being an IMG.

However, your profile needs to be extremely competitive. In addition to great USMLE scores, you need to have amazing letters of recommendation from surgeons in USA. Research is also a big plus.

All the best!

bionano

Re: FAQ: Is Surgery gettable in US?
saavi wrote:
AshB wrote:
Hi guys.. Surgery is a highly glam branch yet ever elusive for those planning to get it in US. Lets discuss here all the possibilities pertaining to a surgery residency in US.

Yes, you can get a surgery residency, despite being an IMG.

However, your profile needs to be extremely competitive. In addition to great USMLE scores, you need to have amazing letters of recommendation from surgeons in USA. Research is also a big plus.

All the best!

What about 0+5 vascular surgery?

doctans
Aim Indian PG Exams

Hey all,I am currently doing mbbs and I want to practice surgery in US and settle there,but only after doing my pg from India,so how to make sure that I get surgery residency only after writing MLE and will I have to repeat for three years again?
Will doing MRCS be of any help?

Sasuke28
Aim Indian PG Exams

fragile_x wrote:
lol.......surgery in US and usmle........and soda ur in 1st year of ur MBBS!

yaar.....kya kar raha hai???

dont do this man.......the rat race will last a lifetime.

enjoy the time on ur hand as long as it lasts.....

there"s a time for usmle and there"s a time to kick back and sip pinacolada.

this is the time for u to sip pinacolada for a little while.

over and out.

wow..nice..

scepticemia

Actually, if you build your profile, it is VERY gettable. May not be in the best of University programs, but in the USA, unlike in India, the variance between different institutes is not very wide. icon_smile.gif

smi_dev
Aim USMLE Step 1

hi i have the same query which most of them already asked and went unanswered.... can obg gettable in US ??? if so wat wuld be the program like seniors please help out ....

MCQ Crammer (Beta)
Free New MCQ Revision Tool by RxPG
 Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Advertisement solutions  :  Terms of service (TOS)  :  CC BY-NC-SA  

Home -> Forums -> beforeUSMLE -> Is Surgery gettable in US?

beforeUSMLE Community
RxPG community for 17 years
1,575 active members | 4,607 posts

Topic ID #58173
Started 14 years ago
54 contributors
118 posts | 94,908 views
Thread index Print thread Feed

Advertisements
Server Status: 138 pages served in last minute. Page generation time: 0.632 seconds

Site Maps: [Books] [News] [Forums] [Reviews] [Mnemonics]

sitemap - top30 - centuries - testimonials

About Us :: Disclaimer :: Contact Us :: Reporting abuse :: Terms of Services :: Privacy Policy

Advertise with RxPG!
Made in India by RxPG Medical Solutions Private Limited

"RxPG" is a Registered Trademark

Chrome Web Store YouTube Twitter LinkedIn Wikipedia Facebook